PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

Re: Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

This. Mallett is a big, juicy trade chip. Hopefully Lombardi comes calling with a 2014 1st rounder.

Breathe Supafly, breathe. :)

Thank you Deus. Much appreciated.

So it's for the last game of the 2014 season, not the first game.

Yes....

In theory, the Patriots can cut Brady next year, and sign Mallett as the starter moving forward. In practice, Gillette stadium, BB and BK would probably not survive such a move, unless Brady's skills collapse between now and then.

Mallet needs to have a pretty good training camp so we can at least field some offers for him. He will not be replacing Brady anytime soon, so might as well get a 2nd for him

There are some conflicting reports. Peter King, for example specifically calls the reports that all $24M is guaranteed at once wrong.
In some quarters it's been reported that Brady will have the final $24 million guaranteed if he's healthy and able to play in 2015. In reality, the 2015 salary will be guaranteed if he's healthy entering that league year, and the 2016 and '17 salaries guaranteed similarly, year by year, if he's healthy.
Brady has $33 million guaranteed today. The $7 million, $8 million and $9 million salaries in 2015, '16 and '17 will be guaranteed, but only if Brady enters each of those league seasons healthy.
Joe Flacco, Tom Brady on opposite ends of quarterback contract spectrum - NFL - Peter King - SI.com

I know I read something similar from more local sources, but there's not really any good search terms for this. Either way, it'd take a lot for them to want to cut him in 2016 knowing that they're paying his salary (and perhaps 2017's salary as well) regardless.

Breathe Supafly, breathe. :)

Hahahhaha, should we start a countdown ?????

:)

;)

Sorry fellas, some things you just naturally feel strongly about.

I will try to learn from the past and do a better job of letting certain issues go, which is the right and mature thing to do.

And hey--there's always the chance...I don't think we're there yet, but the possibility certainly exists for him to prove this kind of worth in the coming future.

;)

Sorry fellas, some things you just naturally feel strongly about.

I will try to learn from the past and do a better job of letting certain issues go, which is the right and mature thing to do.

And hey--there's always the chance...I don't think we're there yet, but the possibility certainly exists for him to prove this kind of worth in the coming future.

hehehehe. It's all good. s3antana5757 did bring up a very valid point though, one that I missed, which is that while Al Davis is gone, Lombardi is back so anything is possible :)

hehehehe. It's all good. s3antana5757 did bring up a very valid point though, one that I missed, which is that while Al Davis is gone, Lombardi is back so anything is possible :)

Sure, especially if Weeden doesn't look like he belongs this year.

One thing I would like to clear up moving forward though all in seriousness is the fact that I do potentially think that Mallett can bring some decent trade value, IF he is able to show more moving forward.

I simply don't feel that he is there yet, so that's really what tends to get under my skin. But hey--all it takes is one GM that really likes him such as Lomabardi, so anything's possible.

Lots can happen in the next 2 years......it will be interesting to see if brady can maintain his level through to the end of the 2014 season......in the meantime, we have a pretty good backup

at this point, an injury such as the last one where he is out for the season will likely render him expendable.......time will not be best spent rehabbing a 37-38 year old

it is more important that the defensive improvements outpace the reductions in offensive productivity.

If Mallett were signed to a 4 year extension, he still wouldn't be anything but Brady's long-term backup. I doubt very much if he would sign such a deal. We are 3 years away from looking for Brady's replacement.

Just got home from camp and although it was disappointing not seeing Aaron Dobson out there to continue his development, it was pleasing to the eye to see how much more confident Ryan Mallet is out there with his reads, accuracy and arm strength.

I have always been high on Ryan from day one and I know he has had his struggles at times the last couple of pre-seasons, but I am of the belief that we have to do whatever we have to do to keep him here.

TB isn't getting any younger and Mallet is ascending with his development. I believe he is going to have a great pre-season. I can't wait to see him in out there in a couple of weeks.

I know Ryan feels he's ready to play and he obviously doesn't want to wait until TB hangs em up so extending him will probably be tough, but I hope we do.

His delivery today on the deep comebacks and sideline fades were beautiful and
tight. What an arm this kid has, he just needs the reps to add to his growing confidence.

the bottom line is that mallet is as good as they hoped because he is still here

still tom brady's time, but like sands through an hour glass, so are the days of our lives..........the need for a good backup increases every game

the bottom line is that mallet is as good as they hoped because he is still here

still tom brady's time, but like sands through an hour glass, so are the days of our lives..........the need for a good backup increases every game

Sure, but are the odds really that reasonable that Mallett would be that guy with his contract expiring at the end of next season?

If Mallett were signed to a 4 year extension, he still wouldn't be anything but Brady's long-term backup. I doubt very much if he would sign such a deal. We are 3 years away from looking for Brady's replacement.

3 years is a long time for a 36 year old QB

at that age and experience, it takes one funny hit that does not put him down on the mat, but jars his shoulder, his scapula, his elbow, and the next thing you know, enough is off the ball where you're standing there praying the ball gets there like its chad pennington

right now, there's no reason to be concerned, but there is every reason to be ready if you want to have a competitive team when he goes down.

right now, we are heading for a moment of decision at the end of the 2014 season.......if there are no signs of decrepitude, the decision will be interesting.......if there are signs, the decision should be an easy one

Sure, but are the odds really that reasonable that Mallett would be that guy with his contract expiring at the end of next season?

there will be a major decision that will need to be made after the 2014 season.........that's pretty long ways off.......I think we can enjoy things in the meantime......our QB situation is set for 2 years......then it will get interesting and between now and then anything can happen

3 years is a long time for a 36 year old QB

at that age and experience, it takes one funny hit that does not put him down on the mat, but jars his shoulder, his scapula, his elbow, and the next thing you know, enough is off the ball where you're standing there praying the ball gets there like its chad pennington

right now, there's no reason to be concerned, but there is every reason to be ready if you want to have a competitive team when he goes down.

right now, we are heading for a moment of decision at the end of the 2014 season.......if there are no signs of decrepitude, the decision will be interesting.......if there are signs, the decision should be an easy one
You always want to have a good team in case the starter goes down, but you can't pay two QBs starting money just so you have a good backup. If we're assuming that Mallett is a future starting QB, then he's not going to come back cheap.

I think Brian Hoyer is better option. Oh, wait this isn't 2008.
I've been wrong about the backup QB before (Actually I wasn't, but it was a coin flip). I'm going to recuse myself.

there will be a major decision that will need to be made after the 2014 season.........that's pretty long ways off.......I think we can enjoy things in the meantime......our QB situation is set for 2 years......then it will get interesting and between now and then anything can happen

Not if another team values Mallett enough and Belichick wants to get value for him while he can

I do not see why people are attracted to the idea of keeping Mallett until he's 30 years old before letting him be a starter or paying him starter money for three seasons when he's a backup.

You are failing to grasp that the last 3 years of Brady's deal are not guaranteed for performance, meaning if they prefer to keep Mallett, they can cut Brady next year without consequence.

While no one is suggesting Mallett will be on Brady's level next year (or ever), this coaching staff is not shy in letting older guys go to give young talented guys their shot. Reminder: Brady will be 37 next year.

You are failing to grasp that the last 3 years of Brady's deal are not guaranteed for performance, meaning if they prefer to keep Mallett, they can cut Brady next year without consequence.
Dead money to cut Brady each offseason:
2014: $32.8M
2015: $25M
2016: $20M
2017: $15M

This is under the assumption that the last three years each becomes fully guaranteed at the end of the previous season, or the best case scenario for the Pats of the reports that are out there.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back