PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

Re: Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

uh..again..not to be contrary but how do you come up with Mallett making 5 to 8 per year? 2014 is his last year of his first contract with a salary of just over a million dollars...you actually think Mallett is going to command a 5 million dollar salary? 8 million is beyond preposterous. Mallett has no game experience to speak of yet and doesn't look to see any by the time his contract is up...a GM would have to be braindead to even offer twice what he's making right now, and I think the Pats sign him to a three or four year team friendly contract between 5 and7 mil over that span.Then again, they could let him walk and draft another QB in 2014. Brady's is the only contract on this team that will tie up more than 10% of the cap.

Right, Mallet is not going to get much cash on the open market, he will end up either being traded to a team where there is competition for the starting position or he will take a FA offer on a team where he can compete to start. He will not resign here in NE.

Believing that Tommy and Giselle will be the corporate owners of the patriots instead of Jonathan Kraft is probably the silliest idea I've heard in a long time. Yes. they have the money to do almost anything they want. Why would they want to own a team? And why would the Kraft's want to give up any control?

I think Brady is positioning himself for an ownership stake in the Patriots personally. He is building a compound in the same neighborhood in Brookline as Kraft. Between Brady's money and Gisele's he certainly has the means. Kraft will be nearing 80 at the end of Brady's contract, so I think he will sell a portion to Brady and allow his son Jonathan and Brady to build this empire for the decades to come.

For that reason I don't think he plays past this current contract. Brady is a competitive guy he isn't going to want to be out on the field unless his body allows him to be the best, 40-42 is probably the max no matter how well you care for yourself.

Believing that Tommy and Giselle will be the corporate owners of the patriots instead of Jonathan Kraft is probably the silliest idea I've heard in a long time. Yes. they have the money to do almost anything they want. Why would they want to own a team? And why would the Kraft's want to give up any control?

He's not suggesting that the Bradys buy out the Krafts, merely that the Krafts might be willing to sell TFB an ownership stake.

And as to why they might sell an ownership stake: would you rather have 100% of $100 or 95% of $120? If they think having Brady aboard will make them more money in the long run, they'll do it.

He's not suggesting that the Bradys buy out the Krafts, merely that the Krafts might be willing to sell TFB an ownership stake.

And as to why they might sell an ownership stake: would you rather have 100% of $100 or 95% of $120? If they think having Brady aboard will make them more money in the long run, they'll do it.

Wouldn't be the first time that a star pro athlete ended up being a partial owner of the team he played for.

Sure, they could sell some portion of the team to Brady for publicity and marketing purposes. I didn't think that we were talking about marketing gimmicks.

Kraft could even GIVE him some limited ownership rights to retire as a patriot.
=========

I suppose that there will be serious marketing issues when Kraft, Belichick and Brady all leave (very possibly within months of each other). The Robert Kraft era has been incredible! Personally, I think that Jonathan will do fine.

yeah...I know, I know...I just keep going back to the experience thing...Tebow DOES have a playoff win on the road and actual NFL game experience. I don't expect Brady to get injured so if the unthinkable happens, Tebow could carry the team on experience alone. Mallett? I mean, what do we really KNOW about this guy? He looks great in reps and then looks visibly nervous in 11 on 11's....preseason, THAT'S what we need ,Tunes. This month all questions get answered...or maybe not...:noidea:

Tebow was drafted higher also, so he has to be better.. he also won a Heisman and two national championships..

Argument closed, he has to be better...

I wouldn't mind seeing Mallett be given live game experience when the score is out of hand and the game already decided. There is no upside to leaving Brady in the game in such situations (especially if hopefully the defense is improved) but there will be plenty of upside giving Mallett some real experience. And I mean more than just three token handoffs or kneel downs.

Pats need to figure out what they have or don't have in this kid, and it starts now.

I wouldn't mind seeing Mallett be given live game experience when the score is out of hand and the game already decided. There is no upside to leaving Brady in the game in such situations (especially if hopefully the defense is improved) but there will be plenty of upside giving Mallett some real experience. And I mean more than just three token handoffs or kneel downs.

Pats need to figure out what they have or don't have in this kid, and it starts now.

Normally I'd agree with you on this one. But it would benefit the young WRs and Brady to get as many live game reps as possible early in the season. As long as the line offers protection, I'd leave him in and run the regular offense regardless of the score.

If there's a blow out later in the year ? Yeah, that might be a good time to give Mallet live game reps.

Sure, they could sell some portion of the team to Brady for publicity and marketing purposes. I didn't think that we were talking about marketing gimmicks.

Kraft could even GIVE him some limited ownership rights to retire as a patriot.
=========

I suppose that there will be serious marketing issues when Kraft, Belichick and Brady all leave (very possibly within months of each other). The Robert Kraft era has been incredible! Personally, I think that Jonathan will do fine.

Seriously, it's a very silly idea. I don't think Brady or Belichick are going to want to take a stake in the franchise or jump into management when it's all done. I just can't see "Belichick, NEP President" or "Brady, Patriots GM" ever happening. The Krafts will keep running the ship and Jonathan will eventually be our owner, and they'll hire personnel as they see fit.

In response to the OP, I have no idea how good Mallett is as he has never had the chance to show how good he is, and i don't believe he will ever be the next Patriots QB as Brady will play well past Mallett's stay in NE. AJ McCarron is more likely imo.

MG my brother don’t take this the wrong way because you know I think the world of you as a member here but I have to ask do you read my entire posts or just skim through them? I never said that TB and Gisele would be the majority owners; I said this exact statement “I think he will sell a portion to Brady and allow his son Jonathan and Brady to build this empire for the decades to come”. What I meant was 5%-10% for which would be between $60-$120 million and Brady would serve in a role similar to what Elway does in Denver.

In the NFL the majority owner is required to hold 30% of the shares so Jonathan Kraft and the Kraft group would still be the owners of the New England Patriots.

uh..again..not to be contrary but how do you come up with Mallett making 5 to 8 per year? 2014 is his last year of his first contract with a salary of just over a million dollars...you actually think Mallett is going to command a 5 million dollar salary? 8 million is beyond preposterous. Mallett has no game experience to speak of yet and doesn't look to see any by the time his contract is up...a GM would have to be braindead to even offer twice what he's making right now, and I think the Pats sign him to a three or four year team friendly contract between 5 and7 mil over that span.Then again, they could let him walk and draft another QB in 2014. Brady's is the only contract on this team that will tie up more than 10% of the cap.

well, take those numbers with a grain of salt...Mallett's first deal is here...

Ryan Mallett Contracts, Salaries, Cap Hits, & Transactions

Use Miguel's cap page to answer all these salary questions in the future. Fans here tend to say all kinds of things with little or no actual factual evidence.

I think he was just going off of what some predicted Mallett's second contract to be, Joker. The reason they came up with the numbers of 5 million per season or whatever was due to finding a common ground salary towards keeping him here.

As we've all talked about the salary determination would be one of the toughest obstacles to overcome in terms of trying to keep Mallett EVEN IF they wanted to (which we have no idea).

Those who threw out the numbers were trying to find something in-between a significant backup role and a potential starter waiting in the wings, but either way I definitely agree with you myself that not only won't he be making 5 million per year here ever, he won't be staying around for a second pact.

Not meaning to interfere, I just thought I'd try to explain to you what the logic was in those ridiculous numbers. Like I said, I think you're right no matter what. Mallett wouldn't see that kind of pact, mostly because the team would never pay that for a backup QB.

Hi Joe - Mallett might if he is given a 4-5 year deal at $5 - $8 million a year which is about what Brady gave back to the team under his current deal.

You never know....It is within the realm of possibilities.

But again - and it bears repeating - he has to show in the pre-season and during practice to get that kind of deal.

If he can provide the Patriots with the possibility of seamless transition at the quarterback position, it could be seen as a win-win for both Mallett and the Patriots.

This is the kind of financial and playing scenario that the Patriots may have envisioned for both Brady, Mallett and the overall success of the franchise to know that they have an Aaron Rodgers situation but with a starting quarterback that is certainly not having the kind of off-field and on-field issues that Favre had in the last few years of his career.

I have a tough time believing Brady took a discount so they could give it to Mallett. Brady wants to win a SB - he doesn't want to see that cash and cap space devoted to someone who HE of all people would never want to see in a game.

Beyond that, if Mallett really is the type of a QB who would be content to sit on the bench for six years, then do we REALLY want HIM at QB?

No. We've got Brady signed long term and he's still playing great. Mallett was insurance and isn't going to sit through Brady's contract.

Most importantly, Mallett himself should want the chance to compete for a starting position. ASAP - and that means NOT with the Patriots.

Wouldn't be the first time that a star pro athlete ended up being a partial owner of the team he played for.

I'm not sure, but Elway looks poised to beat him to it either way.

In December 2010, Bowlen discussed two options with Elway — becoming an executive or a minority partner, but not both. If and when Elway succeeds at one, he would become the other — either as a minority investor or a majority owner with a group, if and when Bowlen and his family determine their future with ownership of the Broncos.

Read more: Paige: John Elway's final desire is to become an owner - The Denver Post Paige: John Elway's final desire is to become an owner - The Denver Post
Read The Denver Post's Terms of Use of its content: Terms of Use - The Denver Post
Follow us: @Denverpost on Twitter | Denverpost on Facebook

I understand that you think that Brady would want to be management type like Elway and a major investor ($60-$120 M is a lot even for the Brady's). To be clear, I don't want this to happen and I don't see it happening. But that's just me. As folks have said if such a marketing ploy makes sense, perhaps it will happen. I just don't think so.

Denver need something on the management end. They needed a spokesman. The patriots have no such needs.

MG my brother don’t take this the wrong way because you know I think the world of you as a member here but I have to ask do you read my entire posts or just skim through them? I never said that TB and Gisele would be the majority owners; I said this exact statement “I think he will sell a portion to Brady and allow his son Jonathan and Brady to build this empire for the decades to come”. What I meant was 5%-10% for which would be between $60-$120 million and Brady would serve in a role similar to what Elway does in Denver.

In the NFL the majority owner is required to hold 30% of the shares so Jonathan Kraft and the Kraft group would still be the owners of the New England Patriots.

I think Ryan Mallett is way over rated by the fans and the media kinda plays into that. the reality is no one is kicking down the patriots door to offer the pats even the 3rd round pick that they give for him, that dose not mean he cant be a starting QB one day but he has not shown anything that says he's the next Brady he has a good arm but Michael Bishop had a big arm to

yeah...I know, I know...I just keep going back to the experience thing...Tebow DOES have a playoff win on the road and actual NFL game experience. I don't expect Brady to get injured so if the unthinkable happens, Tebow could carry the team on experience alone. Mallett? I mean, what do we really KNOW about this guy? He looks great in reps and then looks visibly nervous in 11 on 11's....preseason, THAT'S what we need ,Tunes. This month all questions get answered...or maybe not...:noidea:

Who the **** are you and what the **** did you do with Joker? Someone call the cops! :D

I understand that you think that Brady would want to be management type like Elway and a major investor ($60-$120 M is a lot even for the Brady's). To be clear, I don't want this to happen and I don't see it happening. But that's just me. As folks have said if such a marketing ploy makes sense, perhaps it will happen. I just don't think so.

Denver need something on the management end. They needed a spokesman. The patriots have no such needs.

I don't think it's about marketing, I think it's about Tom Brady being an intelligent man. He makes excellent decisions off the field in real estate along with other business ventures, and he is obviously brilliant when it pertains to football knowledge.

The Patriots also don't need marketing right now because they have Tom Brady as their QB, when he isn't it is unknown what will be needed.

Who the **** are you and what the **** did you do with Joker? Someone call the cops! :D

I'm a long time Patriot fan and NFL fan. I see Tebow as a football player with skills good enough to get him to this level who needs to keep working on the weaknesses in his game while maximizing his strengths, which are excellent work ethic, high character and willingness to learn. Any field leader capable of getting his team TO a playoff berth and win one is well worth a look see by THIS staff of excellent coaches.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back