PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

TruthSeeker

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
This is Ryan Mallett's third season in this offense, and he seems to be struggling. He was pretty horrible during last year's preseason when he basically had his only chance to show what he had. He actually played better as a rookie. What do we have here with Mallett ? At this point, would you be comfortable trusting the offense with Mallett if God forbid TFB went down ? I know Cassel looked horrible in the preseason the same season Brady went down, and then proceeded to have an excellent season. I'm not sure Mallett is as good as Cassel. Will Tebow surpass him ? Whattya guys and gals think ? It's obvious Mallett has talent, a cannon arm, but maybe the QB brain isn't there. Personally I'm very concerned. I figured by season 3 he'd be playing much better than he is now in practice. Maybe he's not as good as we thought.

Training camp and preseason aren't about looking good. The goal is to get better, and that usually involves doing what you're not good at. We haven't ever seen Mallett being put in a position to succeed. If the goal is to trade him next offseason, then we'd probably see them do that this preseason. Other than that, there's not much to gain by him looking good right now.

Well someone who was at today's practice liked him:

https://twitter.com/PatriotsXLVIII/status/362032047981740035

I am really looking forward to Mallett playing this pre-season and showing his worth. That way the Patriots can either trade him and get one of the stud quarterbacks in the next draft or two (i.e. Brett Hundley) or keep him so that when Brady does retire, then he is there to step in.

Either way - I think that Ryan Mallett is ready to show that he is more than capable of helping the Patriots at quarterback if called upon.

Training camp and preseason aren't about looking good. The goal is to get better, and that usually involves doing what you're not good at. We haven't ever seen Mallett being put in a position to succeed. If the goal is to trade him next offseason, then we'd probably see them do that this preseason. Other than that, there's not much to gain by him looking good right now.

And for Mallett - it is all about his intermediate to short passing game....

I am really looking forward to Mallett playing this pre-season and showing his worth. That way the Patriots can either trade him and get one of the stud quarterbacks in the next draft or two (i.e. Brett Hundley) or keep him so that when Brady does retire, then he is there to step in.

Either way - I think that Ryan Mallett is ready to show that he is more than capable of helping the Patriots at quarterback if called upon.

Agreed. Always been a fan of the pick.

I have no problems with him. He's the current heir apparent to Brady, and Coach has kept him on now so there must be something he's doing right.

And for Mallett - it is all about his intermediate to short passing game....

Exactly. We haven't really seen him unleash the dragon yet. I'm hoping he gets to throw a flea flicker sometime this preseason :eek:

He's got a cannon, a quick release and height. I still question whether he's got that extra dose of overall athletic talent to carry the load when the pass rush is succeeding and the hits keep on coming.

There are many posters here that refuse to face the reality that time waits for no man; and Tom Brady's years are dwindling down to a precious few.

These fans want Mallett traded, and then say he won't bring much at all.

Ryan Mallett is in his second Training Camp and going into his third season, having no rookie preseason due to the CBA lockout. From the very limited exposure that I have seen, he has the rare athletic gifts needed to be an excellent starter in the NFL. The criticism has been his immaturity, but I don't see it.

He was wise enough to leave Michigan when Lloyd Carr retired, and the West Virginia wonder came in, and wanted to run the fashionable innovation of the day, the Wildcat/Single Wing. He was sagacious enough to practice his future trade in the SEC, under a Coach who used a Pro-style Offense.

He is a Coach's son, and immersed in watching film since he was a teen, like BB. Belichick evaluated him in a several hour interview, and declared him very football wise; and then drafted him in the early third, when he fell within reach. BB didn't believe the rumors.

Belichick made him #2 in his second season, cutting able backup Bryan Hoyer, supposedly dangerous for a SuperBowl competitor. He has ignored all attempts to trade for Mallett.

I am anxious to see what Mallett can do this preseason, even though it may be premature. As it wasn't until Casell's fourth preseason that BB felt his grooming complete, and made him endure the Trials of Job, to test POISE.

I don't know if Mallett can be the Successor, or even if he would wait. But BB is building a very strong SuperBowl contender for the next 4-5 years. It will be much stronger Team than the last four contenders, one of which actually made it there, during the total tear down and rebuild, while still winning.

But BB would be foolish not to give him a try, and BB is no fool. Mallett is under contract for two full years, and who knows how Tom will look then? This year's college QB crop was barren. Next year's crop has some interesting, but undersized QB possibilities. I have no idea what the 2015 QB crop will be like.

Meanwhile the TC reports indicate Ryan is having a good camp, making all the throws, short as well as deep, and more important showing Poise and understanding and touch.

Mallett is under contract for two full years, and who knows how Tom will look then?
Well Brady's basically fully guaranteed deal goes five more seasons, so it doesn't really matter what he looks like.

Well Brady's basically fully guaranteed deal goes five more seasons, so it doesn't really matter what he looks like.

No, that is not quite what TB and BB did. Brady got guaranteed money for playing at about 45% of the going rate for a front line QB for 5 years starting last year.

It also means that TB can be platooned or used as a backup as the years go on, and the contract is not financially impossible for the Team, to allow that possibility.

If in three years BB uses another starter, Mallett or someone else, TB can still be on the team until his retirement. He won't be forced to a Unitas, Montana or Manning situation that mandated he be released/traded elsewhere in the twilight of his career, simply for financial reasons.

Class. Pure Class.

No, that is not quite what TB and BB did. Brady got guaranteed money for playing at about 45% of the going rate for a front line QB for 5 years starting last year.

It also means that TB can be platooned or used as a backup as the years go on, and the contract is not financially impossible for the Team, to allow that possibility.

If in three years BB uses another starter, Mallett or someone else, TB can still be on the team until his retirement. He won't be forced to a Unitas, Montana or Manning situation that mandated he be released/traded elsewhere in the twilight of his career, simply for financial reasons.

Class. Pure Class.

I agree with you that Mallett obviously has lots of potential. Whether or not his potential is fully recognized here is the important question.

His contract situation will also be very key to watch moving forward too, as it's up in the air as to whether or not he'd stay on as a backup (if they'd even want him to). Predicting his future worth at this point is almost futile due to there being such a broad range of what he may/may not be worth, not just to us but on the open market to someone else.

I hope he ends up staying here and is extended as a backup, but I'm not sure how great those odds would be, at least at this point in time anyway.

Didn't Mallett have questionable "character issues"????

Back to the topic at hand, he is as good as they thought, if he wasn't he would not still be with this team...

Class. Pure Class.

Brady's contract isn't fully guaranteed right now (only for injury). IIRC, and contrary to what Miguel has, each of the last three seasons doesn't become fully guaranteed for skill until the end of the previous season (e.g., his 2016 salary only becomes fully guaranteed at the end of 2015).

I don't understand what the OP is getting at. It seems to contradict everything that we've heard; which is the team are very happy with him and he looks good so far. Solid.

If the team go ahead with two QBs again this year, it's as telling as anything that they are extremely happy with him.

Brady's contract will see him here until his retirement more than likely, but it's structured in a way that if the Pats really wanted to, they can comprehend the choice of going with Mallett as Brady gets older.

Right now, I want Bill thinking long term. If for any brief second BB thinks Mallett is the guy we need to go on with, then I would whole heartedly back the move to use him.

Mallett will be up for renewal in 2015 and we need to make a choice by that point; will we continue to go with a 38 (?) year old Brady for another possible couple of years of success, or do we think long term? Mallett will not hang around to be a backup past 2015 so we need to decide by then if he's our man.

We don't have to worry about it for a couple of years, but a Ryan Mallett (whom the coaches have every faith in and whom could give us ten more years of success) is much more appealing than a Tom Brady with a couple of years left in his tank and the prospect of not knowing who the hell is going to be replacing him.

We laugh at teams for taking stabs at average QB classes and reaching on QBs...we don't want to become that team.

This is Ryan Mallett's third season in this offense, and he seems to be struggling. He was pretty horrible during last year's preseason when he basically had his only chance to show what he had. He actually played better as a rookie. What do we have here with Mallett ? At this point, would you be comfortable trusting the offense with Mallett if God forbid TFB went down ? I know Cassel looked horrible in the preseason the same season Brady went down, and then proceeded to have an excellent season. I'm not sure Mallett is as good as Cassel. Will Tebow surpass him ? Whattya guys and gals think ? It's obvious Mallett has talent, a cannon arm, but maybe the QB brain isn't there. Personally I'm very concerned. I figured by season 3 he'd be playing much better than he is now in practice. Maybe he's not as good as we thought.

What has been so bad about our back-up QB? He is not supposed to make 100% of his passes with 4 days of practice under his belt.

People talk about the learning curve between the rookies, new WR's and Brady. Doesn't that learning curve extend to the other QB's on the team?

Who would you rather have as a backup?

I'm not opposed to trading Mallet if we get a decent price.

I just don't see him as a dump job at this point. I think he can be quite service able if needed.

I don't see Mallet pushing Brady out of the starting job. Mallet isn't the heir, it is somebody in college.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
Back