PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ryan Mallett: Is he as good as thought/hoped? Is he the future starting QB?

Didn't Mallett have questionable "character issues"????

Back to the topic at hand, he is as good as they thought, if he wasn't he would not still be with this team...

I disagree, not with his contract and potential.

I personally feel like he may not ever pick up how to dump the ball off and throw with touch and hit those intermediate throws. It's not like he's 22, he's 25 now.

I hope I'm wrong and am eager to see how he plays this preseason.

I used to wager on Arkansas a bit. Mallett has won me money, so I like him.

This is Ryan Mallett's third season in this offense, and he seems to be struggling. He was pretty horrible during last year's preseason when he basically had his only chance to show what he had. He actually played better as a rookie. What do we have here with Mallett ? At this point, would you be comfortable trusting the offense with Mallett if God forbid TFB went down ? I know Cassel looked horrible in the preseason the same season Brady went down, and then proceeded to have an excellent season. I'm not sure Mallett is as good as Cassel. Will Tebow surpass him ? Whattya guys and gals think ? It's obvious Mallett has talent, a cannon arm, but maybe the QB brain isn't there. Personally I'm very concerned. I figured by season 3 he'd be playing much better than he is now in practice. Maybe he's not as good as we thought.

Cassel didn't exactly look great to begin with. He struggled a bit, particularly early on. Further, he took the reigns of a team that was returning the vast majority of it's starters from a team that went 18-1 the year before and came an "in the grasp" call from going down as the greatest team in NFL history. He took that team, played an unbelievably soft schedule, and went 11-5 with it. To his credit, he got better as the season went on. But how much of that was the schedule, I'm not sure. He looked great against a team like the Raiders, but was a huge reason why the team got absolutely crushed by the Steelers (a team that Pats had routinely beaten with Brady).

As for Mallett, I can only go by what I've seen. Up until last season, he hasn't progressed like I thought/hoped he would when he was drafted.

Mallett's looked like a QB3 who got a QB2 job because his team didn't want to pay $2 million to their QB2. If that's what NE thought/hoped when they drafted him, then he's as advertised.

No, that is not quite what TB and BB did. Brady got guaranteed money for playing at about 45% of the going rate for a front line QB for 5 years starting last year.

It also means that TB can be platooned or used as a backup as the years go on, and the contract is not financially impossible for the Team, to allow that possibility.

If in three years BB uses another starter, Mallett or someone else, TB can still be on the team until his retirement. He won't be forced to a Unitas, Montana or Manning situation that mandated he be released/traded elsewhere in the twilight of his career, simply for financial reasons.

Class. Pure Class.

Tom Brady is not is going to get 'platooned or used as a backup' for anyone, much less a guy who's shown absolutely nothing like Ryan Mallett. Either you cut Tom and eat his salary, you trade him, or you start him. He would never agree to hold a clipboard.

I see mallett....being traded to a quarterback desperate team...,...as TB is going to be around for a bit..,.,.

I don't see Mallett sticking around 3 more years.......from the little I have seen of him,he reminds me a bit of a young Bledsoe,but has work to do.

The next QB of the Pats is going to be a sophomore in College this year

Short of injury Mallett is never going to start a game for the Patriots. I don't think they'll ever get a #2 for him but if they could get what they paid for him I'd consider that a win.

He needs to have a great preseason for that to happen, though.

And for Mallett - it is all about his intermediate to short passing game....

Who knows what the NE offensive game plan will look like this year given the TE turmoil and WR shakeup. But if it resembles/relies on the the short strike/up tempo, then Mallett will once again be a square peg trying to fit in a round hole. I can see Mallett having better success in the GB/NYG offense that goes vertical. The Vincent Jackson/SD offense from just a few years ago would have been perfect offense for Mallet. No doubt, Mallett is a statue....and no doubt he lacks the finesse and fine touch to thrive in the short passing game. He has big moving parts geared for long range strikes. Maybe his body type doesn't fit in today's NFL. Next year....if Tampa stuggles at QB.....Mallet might be a decent fit for their personnel.

This camp and preseason is as critical as it gets for Mallett. He needs to show he's making progress. It's time.

Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

Just got home from camp and although it was disappointing not seeing Aaron Dobson out there to continue his development, it was pleasing to the eye to see how much more confident Ryan Mallet is out there with his reads, accuracy and arm strength.

I have always been high on Ryan from day one and I know he has had his struggles at times the last couple of pre-seasons, but I am of the belief that we have to do whatever we have to do to keep him here.

TB isn't getting any younger and Mallet is ascending with his development. I believe he is going to have a great pre-season. I can't wait to see him in out there in a couple of weeks.

I know Ryan feels he's ready to play and he obviously doesn't want to wait until TB hangs em up so extending him will probably be tough, but I hope we do.

His delivery today on the deep comebacks and sideline fades were beautiful and
tight. What an arm this kid has, he just needs the reps to add to his growing confidence.

Re: Keep Ryan Mallet, he is the future...

The timing of his career isn't quite right. It feels like TB has got 4 or 5 years left in the tank, and it may be tough to pay Mallett enough to stay around. It will all depend on whether another team makes a move next year.

They got Mallett for good value (3rd rd), but it will be that second contract that's the rub.

The timing of his career isn't quite right. It feels like TB has got 4 or 5 years left in the tank, and it may be tough to pay Mallett enough to stay around. It will all depend on whether another team makes a move next year.

They got Mallett for good value (3rd rd), but it will be that second contract that's the rub.

Exactly.

When Steve Young replaced Joe Montana, he was league MVP during Montana's injury season; the Niners then chose Young over Montana when they had to decide. For that kind of quality of replacement, one MIGHT dump Brady. Aaron Rodgers/Favre was an even easier choice.

But the likelihood of Mallett sticking around until he eventually replaces Brady seems pretty low to me.

I do not see why people are attracted to the idea of keeping Mallett until he's 30 years old before letting him be a starter or paying him starter money for three seasons when he's a backup.

Yeah Mallett won't be here past his rookie deal. Hopefully we can get something for him, though. We're a competitive team and one of the reasons we are competitive is that we don't waste $4-$7million per year on backup QBs like a lot of crappy teams do. Instead take Rookie deal QBs at minimums and use the extra money left over to build depth.

I do not see why people are attracted to the idea of keeping Mallett until he's 30 years old before letting him be a starter or paying him starter money for three seasons when he's a backup.

This. Mallett is a big, juicy trade chip. Hopefully Lombardi comes calling with a 2014 1st rounder.

Brady's contract isn't fully guaranteed right now (only for injury). IIRC, and contrary to what Miguel has, each of the last three seasons doesn't become fully guaranteed for skill until the end of the previous season (e.g., his 2016 salary only becomes fully guaranteed at the end of 2015).

You are always very well informed regarding contractual and cap issues, so I don't mean to question your expertise but I was under the impression that Brady's contract was indeed fully guaranteed for the remainder of the term as long as he was on the roster at the start of the 2014 season.

Or is that just a common misconception? Is that what Miguel has that you are referring to as incorrect?

I'm thinking that Brady's replacement gets picked in one of the next two drafts. And that Tebo is the backup post Mallett. But I'm sure the situation is fluid and that anything might happen.

Are Tebo and Mallett the same age?

You are always very well informed regarding contractual and cap issues, so I don't mean to question your expertise but I was under the impression that Brady's contract was indeed fully guaranteed for the remainder of the term as long as he was on the roster at the start of the 2014 season.

Or is that just a common misconception? Is that what Miguel has that you are referring to as incorrect?

The $24 million for 2015-17 becomes fully guaranteed if Brady is on the roster for the last game of the 2014 season, according to a league source.

Tom Brady's guarantees nearly doubled in deal -- source - ESPN Boston

Notes: Brady's deal is fully guaranteed from 2015-17 if he's on the roster during the final game of the 2014 regular season.

The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

But the likelihood of Mallett sticking around until he eventually replaces Brady seems pretty low to me.

Just to pile on to these thoughts, I couldn't agree more.

The sticky situation with Mallett's future here lies in the fact that it will be very difficult to try and judge his value as staying on in the backup role. And that's assuming that both parties would even want that to occur.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back