PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Let's be hypothetical here- why not. Although I'm very doubtful, let's say pull off the trade named in the thread title. What would we do with it?? Personally I'd trade back down to the 20's and get a 2nd round pick from the team we'd trade down with.

Let's be hypothetical here- why not. Although I'm very doubtful, let's say pull off the trade named in the thread title. What would we do with it?? Personally I'd trade back down to the 20's and get a 2nd round pick from the team we'd trade down with.

id try and get a first next year and maybe a second or third this year or trade it for both of the rams first round picks this year and get ezekial ansah and one of the DT's of get Star lotulolei at 6 either way id be happy

There's no rule saying you have to use the #6 pick on a QB. If no QB is worth the 6, than use it for another position of weakness -- DL, CB, WR and roll with Weedon, who's played a hell of a lot more football than Mallett the last two years, or get a QB later in the draft or in free agency. Again, just because no QB in the draft is worth #6, that doesn't mean Mallett is. There's no evidence that Mallett is an upgrade on Weedon.

That's true. But, Lombardi has been a guest on Dennis & Callahan the last couple of years. He has consistently said; "There are two types of teams in this league. Those who have quarterbacks. And, those who are looking for quarterbacks." That was said by him long before he got the Cleveland job.

That's true. But, Lombardi has been a guest on Dennis & Callahan the last couple of years. He has consistently said; "There are two types of teams in this league. Those who have quarterbacks. And, those who are looking for quarterbacks." That was said by him long before he got the Cleveland job.

No argument here.

Here's an interesting question: If you're Lombardi, GM of the Cleveland Browns, would you rather trade the #6 for Mallett, or sign Brian Hoyer as an undrafted free agent?

No argument here.

Here's an interesting question: If you're Lombardi, GM of the Cleveland Browns, would you rather trade the #6 for Mallett, or sign Brian Hoyer as an undrafted free agent?

I'd take Hoyer. Not because I think he's better. Because, there's no cost. But, if Lombardi wheels and deal on draft day. Let's say he trades 6 for 16 and 22. Gets his pass rusher at 16. Rams could use Joeckel or Eric Fisher and know Arizona takes the one left at 7. Calls Belichick and says I'll give you that 22 for Mallett. What would you think then? Pats get value. Lombardi gets his qb and 1st round pick.

I'd take Hoyer. Not because I think he's better. Because, there's no cost. But, if Lombardi wheels and deal on draft day. Let's say he trades 6 for 16 and 22. Gets his pass rusher at 16. Rams could use Joeckel or Eric Fisher and know Arizona takes the one left at 7. Calls Belichick and says I'll give you that 22 for Mallett. What would you think then? Pats get value. Lombardi gets his qb and 1st round pick.

Interesting. At that point, Lombardi is staking his career on Mallett. So he'd better feel really good about him. Otherwise, he's Matt Millen.

Interesting. At that point, Lombardi is staking his career on Mallett. So he'd better feel really good about him. Otherwise, he's Matt Millen.

Is he staking his career on not getting him as well? Suppose the Browns keep languishing without a franchise QB and don't get anywhere, will Lombardi still be shown the door?

Is he staking his career on not getting him as well?

No, he's staking his Cleveland career on finding a winning quarterback. If he drafts a guy like Nassib in the 2nd round, or sticks with Weedon, or signs Alex Smith as a free agent, or trades for Matt Flynn and crashes and burns he'll be fired.

If he trades a first round pick for Mallett, sight unseen, and Mallett turns into Ryan Leaf, he won't work as a GM again.

That's the difference when people say "but any quarterback drafted is also a gamble". Any quarterback in the draft, or free agent, the front office and scouting staff can put through vigorous workouts, see how they fit in the offense, get a gauge for his personality and leadership...everything but see how he performs when the bullets are live. If that QB sucks eggs, Lombardi can sit in front of his next interviewer and say that they did all due diligence on the QB, and it just didn't work out. That's justifiable, if not totally excusable.

With Mallett, he's a guy whom he liked (as an analyst, not as an NFL personnel man) 24 months ago, whom he hasn't seen much, if any, of since. On the plus side, Belichick is comfortable enough with Mallett that he's the only backup QB on the roster. The other side of that is that Brian Hoyer (unsigned for three months after cut by New England) also held that distinction and it didn't seem to help him find a job.

Hey Pats fans! Well, it's slow season so I thought I would venture out. Personally I would be happy to get Mallett and plug him in the Norv offense. LaConfora reported that we "badly" want to upgrade from Weeden. I can buy it and it is no secret what Lombardi thought of the Weeden pick.

Considering this report comes on the heels of their so called evaluation of Weeden, I think they want to go in a different direction and will look to distance themselves from the Weeden pick. I think they know if they buy him and they churn out another 5 win season could be a disaster.

I do think Lombardi will pursue Mallett and I think Bill will try to get more picks.

Hey Pats fans! Well, it's slow season so I thought I would venture out. Personally I would be happy to get Mallett and plug him in the Norv offense. LaConfora reported that we "badly" want to upgrade from Weeden. I can buy it and it is no secret what Lombardi thought of the Weeden pick.

Considering this report comes on the heels of their so called evaluation of Weeden, I think they want to go in a different direction and will look to distance themselves from the Weeden pick. I think they know if they buy him and they churn out another 5 win season could be a disaster.

I do think Lombardi will pursue Mallett and I think Bill will try to get more picks.

Welcome to the board!

What would be your opinion if the Browns traded back from #6, and in the wheeling & dealing, wound up trading one of those new picks (say a mid-late 1st) for Mallet? Think you'd be paying too high a price for an unproven commodity?

Welcome to the board!

What would be your opinion if the Browns traded back from #6, and in the wheeling & dealing, wound up trading one of those new picks (say a mid-late 1st) for Mallet? Think you'd be paying too high a price for an unproven commodity?

Thanks!

Personally, I think a second rounder is fair value for a guy that only has two years left on his contract and is unproven. With that said, If you don't have a QB and you think he is the answer..you do what you have to get your guy.

I wouldn't have a problem giving up a late first if that's what it took, but I don't think that is what it will take and more likely after a trade down is a swap of firsts, a player(Travis Benjamin??) or a package of mids..

Reports today are saying we will be looking to trade Weeden. I think Lombardi wants Mallett, but they will have to look at all the options. Will they try to pursue Rivers or would they rather just give up 2 firsts for Flacco and stick it to Baltimore if they use the non exclusive tag.

In the end I think it will be Mallett and they will work out a fair deal that gets you guys picks and us a QB. I was playing around with some scenarios and will try to put down and post.

Thanks!

Personally, I think a second rounder is fair value for a guy that only has two years left on his contract and is unproven. With that said, If you don't have a QB and you think he is the answer..you do what you have to get your guy.

I wouldn't have a problem giving up a late first if that's what it took, but I don't think that is what it will take and more likely after a trade down is a swap of firsts, a player(Travis Benjamin??) or a package of mids..

Reports today are saying we will be looking to trade Weeden. I think Lombardi wants Mallett, but they will have to look at all the options. Will they try to pursue Rivers or would they rather just give up 2 firsts for Flacco and stick it to Baltimore if they use the non exclusive tag.

In the end I think it will be Mallett and they will work out a fair deal that gets you guys picks and us a QB. I was playing around with some scenarios and will try to put down and post.

Baltimore would be laughing all the way to the draft if somebody gave them two firsts for Flacco. A second rounder because he is unproven? You can't ask for a much better college resume, and all players in the draft are unproven in the NFL anyways.

Baltimore would be laughing all the way to the draft if somebody gave them two firsts for Flacco. A second rounder because he is unproven? You can't ask for a much better college resume, and all players in the draft are unproven in the NFL anyways.

New England set his Market value when they drafted him with the 10th pick in the 3rd round. Has his value increased 2 rounds in two years without proving anything? I don't think so.. Would you trade a 1st for Nick Foles, Colt McCoy or kirk Cousins if they never played a down and sat for two years? If Mallet was behind Peyton Manning and Brady was retiring would you give up a first for Mallett if he never set foot on the field two years after he was drafted in the 3rd round?

Schaub was a third round pick that was highly regarded around the league who had some success in spot duty and was three years in. Atlanta got 2 second round picks for him one of them being a future. If the Browns deem Mallett "The Guy", I have no problem giving up a late first. Sign him to a new deal and make the committment.

The thing is, next year will be a very strong QB class and if the price is too much, they can sign a Matt Moore, Anderson or stick with Weeden still trade down for a possible future 1st and get ammo if needed to try to get one of those guys.

In the end, his value is what someone is willing to pay for him which is yet to be determined. Do you think he will be a good NFL QB?

New England set his Market value when they drafted him with the 10th pick in the 3rd round. Has his value increased 2 rounds in two years without proving anything? I don't think so.. Would you trade a 1st for Nick Foles, Colt McCoy or kirk Cousins if they never played a down and sat for two years? If Mallet was behind Peyton Manning and Brady was retiring would you give up a first for Mallett if he never set foot on the field two years after he was drafted in the 3rd round?

Schaub was a third round pick that was highly regarded around the league who had some success in spot duty and was three years in. Atlanta got 2 second round picks for him one of them being a future. If the Browns deem Mallett "The Guy", I have no problem giving up a late first. Sign him to a new deal and make the committment.

The thing is, next year will be a very strong QB class and if the price is too much, they can sign a Matt Moore, Anderson or stick with Weeden still trade down for a possible future 1st and get ammo if needed to try to get one of those guys.

In the end, his value is what someone is willing to pay for him which is yet to be determined. Do you think he will be a good NFL QB?

Welcome.

Your first paragraph is a compelling argument. No I wouldn't want to trade a first for Foles or Cousins. Except, and this is the point you make in your final paragraph, if I knew that BB thought Foles or Cousins was the best QB in the relevant draft, and I knew that BB held in high regard the coach responsible for either QB, then I'd be far more comfortable with it. The third round may have been the price set, but his cost will be what anyone is comfortable paying.

I don't know how much the final decision will be Lombardi's for the Browns (perhaps you could help us out with the politics of the front office, but if Lombardi truly thought Mallett was the best QB of that draft class and worthy of a first rounder then I can only see Mallett having greater value now after two years of a clean record and learning under BB and Brady.

So aside from QB, how are the Browns looking now? Is it a case of a QB, pass rusher and CB and playoffs here we come, or are there more holes than that?

Welcome.

Your first paragraph is a compelling argument. No I wouldn't want to trade a first for Foles or Cousins. Except, and this is the point you make in your final paragraph, if I knew that BB thought Foles or Cousins was the best QB in the relevant draft, and I knew that BB held in high regard the coach responsible for either QB, then I'd be far more comfortable with it. The third round may have been the price set, but his cost will be what anyone is comfortable paying.

I don't know how much the final decision will be Lombardi's for the Browns (perhaps you could help us out with the politics of the front office, but if Lombardi truly thought Mallett was the best QB of that draft class and worthy of a first rounder then I can only see Mallett having greater value now after two years of a clean record and learning under BB and Brady.

So aside from QB, how are the Browns looking now? Is it a case of a QB, pass rusher and CB and playoffs here we come, or are there more holes than that?

I agree the cost will be whatever a team is comfortable paying. Which is why I wouldn't have a problem giving up a late first. The way the front office is set up and the way they outlined that decisions will be made is by a group decision between, Banner, Lombardi, the Coaches, and even our new owner being involved.

I don't believe because the analyst Lombardi thought Mallett was the best QB in that draft class that you can use it to set his value now, two years later. Market is controlled by demand, now if Arizona jumped on board or maybe some other teams, his demand goess up. If Lombardi is out on an island in his beliefs, Bill will have to take what the Market is or stick with him and risk it going down. Which is a very good possibility with next years class and the committment that some of these teams will make toward an Alex Smith, Geno, Barkley and some others this year along with the fact that Mallett will be in the final year of his rookie contract without ever playing a down and will be in line to receive a new deal.

The way I look at it, Brady has about 4 years left(he said he wanted to play till 40) and is still playing at a high level. He needs some weapons on the outsides. With only 4 picks this year and the window closing, I think Bill should take what he can get as long as it is fair and sign Cassel or Quinn or someone to be the #2 and draft a guy with good upside much the way he did with Mallett. He can be groomed to step in or traded as a part of getting the guy when that time comes.

Right now, knowing the window on the Brady era is closing..you get guys or picks that will help make a run today instead of a #2 QB sitting on a bench. Besides that..Bill himself might want to call it quits around the same time, but that is just my guess. Is that what you guys are thinking?

As far as the Browns..QB is always at the forefront here. Whether or not it was noticed around the league, they played some tough football last year and we have some young guys with a lot of potential. Weeden being 30 is definitely a concern. If he came out and lit it up, it wouldn't be as big a deal. He struggled(many blame the offense) but a lot of what he struggled with had nothing to do with the offense.

When I look at him, I don't see a guy that will take us to where we want to go and it's not often you build your team around a 30 year old face of a franchise. If only all it took was a gifted arm to be a QB, but that is all he showed in my opinion. He's horrible at play action, bad from under center, stares at his receivers, struggles making decisions and going through progressions, led the league in batted balls at the line, didn't look like a leader, and had a 42% completion percentage with 7 int when under pressure. Missed wide open guys, threw it out of bounds on a 4th and 1 with the game on the line, out of the back of the endzone with the game on the line..just a lot of negs to hinge on a 30 year old QB to turn it around.

The change back to the 3-4 under Horton will require some pieces. We do need a pass rusher, #2CB, FS just on the defensive side of the ball. On offense we can use another WR, FB(although we have Smelley), TE, and possibly a RG. We do have 49 million to spend so it will be interesting to see how they approach FA. I don't think we are far off but our division is brutal. I am excited about this team and the youth(youngest team in the league I think), but we need a Leader behind center and hope the attacking D and O with a real play caller will prove to be a fun and beneficial way to be relevant again.

Even if the Browns are the only other team that wants him, they still have to compete with what the Pats are willing to part with, BB may very well be perfectly fine with keeping Mallet at all costs, the Pats reportedly turned down a first round pick for him.

Even if the Browns are the only other team that wants him, they still have to compete with what the Pats are willing to part with, BB may very well be perfectly fine with keeping Mallet at all costs, the Pats reportedly turned down a first round pick for him.

When did this happen?

This whole thread has been outlandish to me and more like some bodies pipe dream.

Give us the number 6 straight up? Can't see it happening. Lombardi faces the fans wrath in a big way if he comes up small.

Swapping first rounders? Can't see it happening but would be ecstatic if it did. He's not Favre and he didn't have the opportunity to win games like Cassell and Schaub. Maybe the Browns are more in the loop on how his progress is going than we are?

Realistically I'm looking for a 3rd this year and a 2nd next year. Am I selling ourselves short here?

Then I would have to say you guys will be hanging on to him and Bill's plan is to keep him if what that guy said is true. Personally, I don't buy it. Bill only has 4 picks and someone offered a first for a backup 3rd rd. QB that has 4 NFL passes and he didn't take it? Maybe the plan is to hold onto him if he is turning down 1st round picks. The fans here will have Lombardi's head on a platter if he gets snookered. He knows this.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back