PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

Its hard to believe that this thread has gone on for over 170 replys. If i'm the GM of cleveland why would i send the number Six (6) Overall pick to NE for Mallet. He had a very good college career, but so haven't a lot of QBs only to crash and burn in the NFL. Mallet is an unknown quantity, hes only played a handful of downs in regular games. So again why would Cleveland spend such a high pick on him when they could trade it for multiple picks, giving one to SF for Smith

You don't need every girl to say yes. Only need one of them. If Lombardi thinks he's better than any qb in this draft, you have your girl....err GM.

I'm pretty sure trades can't be made until the new NFL year starts in March. Looking back to last year, the first trade made was March 13th so that sounds about right.

The Combine comes first. We'll have to follow reports from there about how closely the Cleveland scouts and FO are looking at the QB's.
Yeah, that's right. Darn, we have to wait a little over a month for Mallett Watch.

Its hard to believe that this thread has gone on for over 170 replys. If i'm the GM of cleveland why would i send the number Six (6) Overall pick to NE for Mallet. He had a very good college career, but so haven't a lot of QBs only to crash and burn in the NFL. Mallet is an unknown quantity, hes only played a handful of downs in regular games. So again why would Cleveland spend such a high pick on him when they could trade it for multiple picks, giving one to SF for Smith. The whole idea never made sense from the beginning. Its like one of those fantasy trades i see once in a while.... Ex.Lets trade some old over the hill player ex Dion Branch to Arizona for A. Johnson, its never going to happen.

in that case, every QB in the draft is an unknown quantity.....Can Newton was drafted first that same year, and except for being able to run, showed nothing more as a passer than mallett in the same conference.

using your logic, no QB should ever be drafted in the first round.

You don't need every girl to say yes. Only need one of them. If Lombardi thinks he's better than any qb in this draft, you have your girl....err GM.

they'll also have to be prepared to rip up mallett's contract

Its hard to believe that this thread has gone on for over 170 replys. If i'm the GM of cleveland why would i send the number Six (6) Overall pick to NE for Mallet. He had a very good college career, but so haven't a lot of QBs only to crash and burn in the NFL. Mallet is an unknown quantity, hes only played a handful of downs in regular games. So again why would Cleveland spend such a high pick on him when they could trade it for multiple picks, giving one to SF for Smith. The whole idea never made sense from the beginning. Its like one of those fantasy trades i see once in a while.... Ex.Lets trade some old over the hill player ex Dion Branch to Arizona for A. Johnson, its never going to happen.

You mean that same Smith who was one of the worst starting QBs in the league for 5 years, lost his job several times because of incompetency, and coincidently started looking good the same time Harbaugh got to SF? :)

Giving up a good pick and a big contract for Smith (and taking him away from Harbaugh) is as big of a gamble as Mallett when you consider the resources a team will have to use in Smith's contract.

I think a fair price for Mallet would be either a high 2013 second round pick (which the Browns don't have), a 2014 1st round pick, or a swap of picks in the 2013 first round.

There is no point trading him for a 3rd rounder - better to have him as backup.

I would try and obtain a probable high 2014 1st, and a 2013 third round pick for him.

You mean that same Smith who was one of the worst starting QBs in the league for 5 years, lost his job several times because of incompetency, and coincidently started looking good the same time Harbaugh got to SF? :)

Giving up a good pick and a big contract for Smith (and taking him away from Harbaugh) is as big of a gamble as Mallett when you consider the resources a team will have to use in Smith's contract.

So you're telling me there's as much risk in signing a guy who's won 38 games in the NFL as a guy who's taken fewer than 38 snaps in the NFL?

You might not want to give Smith a break for being a rookie from a collegiate gimmicky offense thrown into a starting role on one of the worst NFL teams in history the previous year, who was coached by **** Nolan and then Mike Singletary, neither of whom had sniffed a head coaching job before or since, but I will, and I think most coaches and personnel guys will.

I see a guy who is right at the top of the NFL every year in completion percentage and fewest interceptions. I don't think he needs Harbaugh to succeed, just competent coaching and to be in a situation where he doesn't need to carry a team. Even at 8.5 million, a starting quarterback with Smith's experience is a bargain.

In 8 starts 153-218 1737 yards, 70.2%, 13tds 5 ints 104qbr. Those are some pretty good numbers right there in 2012. Missed 1 game with a concussion and never got his job back after taking his team to the NFC championship the year before to have it slip away by 2 muffed special teams returns and an early dead play whistle on Bradshaws fumble. I can agree and disagree with Crybaby Jim's decision.

Its a tough call. Put Smith back in a losing atmosphere does he revert back to his old self? Or was this guy really starting to get it?

Do any insiders ever post on this site?

It would be great to know how Mallett is perceived within the organization.

So you're telling me there's as much risk in signing a guy who's won 38 games in the NFL as a guy who's taken fewer than 38 snaps in the NFL?

You might not want to give Smith a break for being a rookie from a collegiate gimmicky offense thrown into a starting role on one of the worst NFL teams in history the previous year, who was coached by **** Nolan and then Mike Singletary, neither of whom had sniffed a head coaching job before or since, but I will, and I think most coaches and personnel guys will.

I see a guy who is right at the top of the NFL every year in completion percentage and fewest interceptions. I don't think he needs Harbaugh to succeed, just competent coaching and to be in a situation where he doesn't need to carry a team. Even at 8.5 million, a starting quarterback with Smith's experience is a bargain.

That is exactly what I am saying. A guy that won 38 games in 75 starts (19 of those in the last 25 starts with Harbaugh, 19 in the other 50 starts without) is a mediocre starting NFL QB that is going to be cashing in for a $10M/year paycheck. Its not just about the draft pick compensation - its obligating a huge chunk of your payroll, banking on he is the QB you hope you are getting the last two years, and not the QB you hope you aren't getting his first 5 years.

I can excuse his first, second....even his third year. But in year 4 and 5, he will still very much average.

By rule they can't do that until next offseason.

but they can extend him.....they extended gronk after 2 years

I always thought you can't do anything to a contract until it is over 1 year old or somthing like that

I always thought you can't do anything to a contract until it is over 1 year old or somthing like that
2010 draft picks can be extended whenever. 2011 and later draft picks cannot be extended for three years.

GRONK was part of the last rookie class subject to the old CBA. The new CBA mandates that rookie contracts cannot be extended or re-negotiated, period, until three years have elapsed.

The rule you're thinking of is that for veteran players, they can do the first renegotiation at any point after the contract is signed (i.e., they can sign in March 2013 and renegotiate in October 2013). But a contract can be re-negotiated only once in any 12-month period.

I'm assuming this has been said a million times.

1. If you're the Patriots you do that before the Browns GM finishes his sentence.

2. No way the Browns will ever trade that for Mallett. I'd be surprised with a 2nd.

Unless he takes a complete nosedive, unless Weeden completely nosedives this upcoming season, they're stuck with him for another couple years trying to make it work.

Anyone that is willing to part with Mallett for less than a 2nd is probably just glad to liquidate the roster trash... get him off the roster, take whatever we can get and look elsewhere for a backup QB. The idea of a trade like this has to start with the premise that both the Pats and Browns have a high opinion of Mallett.

I think the #6 pick is actually pretty reasonable as a starting point for discussion. The cost of replacement, if we were to lose Mallett, is probably the 3rd or 4th it would take to pry Hoyer away from the Cards, unless you would rather to go to TC with Brady, Kafka and some guy walking the street. There needs to be enough value in the deal for the Pats to have an interest in the deal. Trading Mallett for a 2nd would net BB less than 100 points of value, after using resources to get a new backup onto the roster--far less than the risk and bother of doing the deal. Starting value for a Mallett trade has to be a 1st rounder.

The surprising thing isn't that the Pats would demand 1st round compensation as a starting point for discussion... it's that anyone might entertain the idea. But, after reading all 20 pages of this thread, I can begin to imagine why a team like the Browns might give a top-10 pick for Mallett. We just have to walk around in Lombardi's head:

- Lombardi thought Mallett was mid-first round talent 2 years ago, even with some questions floating about his character. Two years later, the guy has been around the speed of the game, studied a professional offense under a HOF starter, changed his body to be more lean, and learned what it takes to be a pro. Best of all, the character issues have not emerged.

- Given that, a mid-first round value is not an unreasonable floor for what Lombardi thinks is fair value for Mallett. If Ryan washed out in New England, Lombardi could have picked him up off the garbage heap for a late pick, or maybe for nothing. But BB has handed Mallett the backup job, even with Hoyer available. Granted, there is no positive proof that Mallett will succeed. But the lack of negatives (especially from a coach/GM like BB with a short fuse for draft picks that were mistakes) is signal that maybe Lombardi's original assessment in 2011 may have been accurate. And regardless of what we might believe, for sure Lombardi is likely to think so.

- Mallett was the 6th QB taken in 2011 after Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick, in what is turning out to look like a pretty strong QB class. Ponder, Dalton and Kaepernick have done pretty well with their opportunities to play; and very much to the point, the teams that drafted them have all improved. And, again, if Lombardi had a higher grade on Mallett coming out than those guys, he's going to believe that if Mallett had had the same opportunity to play, he would have been at least on par with those guys.

- The Browns roster is pretty decent, except at QB. Strong running game, good OL, good young receivers, credible D. They've done the BPA thing for years, and it's resulted in a roster that is young and talented. A starting QB could put this team over the top. Spending an early 1st round pick at a position other than QB, or taking another "value" selection at QB, or failing to address QB at all in the off-season, is a risky proposition for a GM that needs to show improvement over from the previous regime.

- Veteran player options are Alex Smith, but it might take an early draft pick or two to convince the Niners. Matt Flynn, who couldn't beat Russell in Seattle, and would cost a pick to two, too. Michael Vick? Kevin Kolb? Really, where are you going to go? McCown? Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell? Do any of these sound like free agency solutions?

- In the draft, you have a pretty sad and risky looking QB class. Geno Smith, who is dropping on boards. Barkley, Nassin, Wilson. Supposing you have a high grade on Smith, it would take the #6 pick, and maybe even a trade up given how many other QB-desperate teams are out there, to be sure of him. If you have a higher grade on Mallett than Smith, and you're willing to spend the #6 on Smith, surely you'd be willing to spend it on Mallett instead.

All the talk about swapping first round picks with Cleveland as compensation... I don't see it. Those opinions are based on our assessment of Mallett's play in two pre-season games. Lombardi is working off different information. He's also looking at it from a Cleveland point of view, not the view of a Pats fan who has no reason to love Mallett.

If this deal happens, it would be for the #6 straight up or more, just as stated in the original rumor. I could even imagine as much as #6 + conditional early pick in 2014. BB would demand it, as fair value for making the quality pick in 2011 and for the big gap it leaves on his 2013 roster. And Lombardi may actually see the value in it for Cleveland too, because frankly he doesn't have a lot of options.

Anyone that is willing to part with Mallett for less than a 2nd is probably just glad to liquidate the roster trash... get him off the roster, take whatever we can get and look elsewhere for a backup QB. The idea of a trade like this has to start with the premise that both the Pats and Browns have a high opinion of Mallett.

I think the #6 pick is actually pretty reasonable as a starting point for discussion. The cost of replacement, if we were to lose Mallett, is probably the 3rd or 4th it would take to pry Hoyer away from the Cards, unless you would rather to go to TC with Brady, Kafka and some guy walking the street. There needs to be enough value in the deal for the Pats to have an interest in the deal. Trading Mallett for a 2nd would net BB less than 100 points of value, after using resources to get a new backup onto the roster--far less than the risk and bother of doing the deal. Starting value for a Mallett trade has to be a 1st rounder.

The surprising thing isn't that the Pats would demand 1st round compensation as a starting point for discussion... it's that anyone might entertain the idea. But, after reading all 20 pages of this thread, I can begin to imagine why a team like the Browns might give a top-10 pick for Mallett. We just have to walk around in Lombardi's head:

- Lombardi thought Mallett was mid-first round talent 2 years ago, even with some questions floating about his character. Two years later, the guy has been around the speed of the game, studied a professional offense under a HOF starter, changed his body to be more lean, and learned what it takes to be a pro. Best of all, the character issues have not emerged.

- Given that, a mid-first round value is not an unreasonable floor for what Lombardi thinks is fair value for Mallett. If Ryan washed out in New England, Lombardi could have picked him up off the garbage heap for a late pick, or maybe for nothing. But BB has handed Mallett the backup job, even with Hoyer available. Granted, there is no positive proof that Mallett will succeed. But the lack of negatives (especially from a coach/GM like BB with a short fuse for draft picks that were mistakes) is signal that maybe Lombardi's original assessment in 2011 may have been accurate. And regardless of what we might believe, for sure Lombardi is likely to think so.

- Mallett was the 6th QB taken in 2011 after Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton and Colin Kaepernick, in what is turning out to look like a pretty strong QB class. Ponder, Dalton and Kaepernick have done pretty well with their opportunities to play; and very much to the point, the teams that drafted them have all improved. And, again, if Lombardi had a higher grade on Mallett coming out than those guys, he's going to believe that if Mallett had had the same opportunity to play, he would have been at least on par with those guys.

- The Browns roster is pretty decent, except at QB. Strong running game, good OL, good young receivers, credible D. They've done the BPA thing for years, and it's resulted in a roster that is young and talented. A starting QB could put this team over the top. Spending an early 1st round pick at a position other than QB, or taking another "value" selection at QB, or failing to address QB at all in the off-season, is a risky proposition for a GM that needs to show improvement over from the previous regime.

- Veteran player options are Alex Smith, but it might take an early draft pick or two to convince the Niners. Matt Flynn, who couldn't beat Russell in Seattle, and would cost a pick to two, too. Michael Vick? Kevin Kolb? Really, where are you going to go? McCown? Brady Quinn? Jason Campbell? Do any of these sound like free agency solutions?

- In the draft, you have a pretty sad and risky looking QB class. Geno Smith, who is dropping on boards. Barkley, Nassin, Wilson. Supposing you have a high grade on Smith, it would take the #6 pick, and maybe even a trade up given how many other QB-desperate teams are out there, to be sure of him. If you have a higher grade on Mallett than Smith, and you're willing to spend the #6 on Smith, surely you'd be willing to spend it on Mallett instead.

All the talk about swapping first round picks with Cleveland as compensation... I don't see it. Those opinions are based on our assessment of Mallett's play in two pre-season games. Lombardi is working off different information. He's also looking at it from a Cleveland point of view, not the view of a Pats fan who has no reason to love Mallett.

If this deal happens, it would be for the #6 straight up or more, just as stated in the original rumor. I could even imagine as much as #6 + conditional early pick in 2014. BB would demand it, as fair value for making the quality pick in 2011 and for the big gap it leaves on his 2013 roster. And Lombardi may actually see the value in it for Cleveland too, because frankly he doesn't have a lot of options.

Agree with your analysis. Not sure it gets us the pick. But, people have to understand does Lombardi want his future employment in the hands of Weeden? Or, a kid he thinks is a much better prospect just out of grooming school. Owners have no patience. I'd take my chances with Mallett.

Agree with your analysis. Not sure it gets us the pick. But, people have to understand does Lombardi want his future employment in the hands of Weeden? Or, a kid he thinks is a much better prospect just out of grooming school. Owners have no patience. I'd take my chances with Mallett.

There's no rule saying you have to use the #6 pick on a QB. If no QB is worth the 6, than use it for another position of weakness -- DL, CB, WR and roll with Weedon, who's played a hell of a lot more football than Mallett the last two years, or get a QB later in the draft or in free agency. Again, just because no QB in the draft is worth #6, that doesn't mean Mallett is. There's no evidence that Mallett is an upgrade on Weedon.

2. No way the Browns will ever trade that for Mallett. I'd be surprised with a 2nd.
Me too, considering the Browns don't have one.

people are asking what has Mallet shown in the NFL to be worth the #6 pick, but all the players they could actually draft with the #6 have no NFL experience either.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Back