PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Ryan Mallet to Browns for 6th overall pick

After reading the first 3 and last 3 pages (so pardon if there is any redundancy here), here are my thoughts.

1. If the Browns ever gave the Pats a top 10 pick for Ryan Mallet, the league should start an investigation. Ludicrous to think the Browns (who don't have a 2nd rounder in this draft) would trade this pick for anyone, let alone a guy who hasn't thrown 10 passes in the NFL, and has no significant positive tape on him.

2. If we are to maximize the 3rd round investment in Mallett, THIS is the year to trade him. Something like a 2014 2nd or a 2013 3rd would be more than fair. In fact I think even this would be overly optimistic.

3. The fact that Lombardi has the "GM" job in Cleveland ups the chances of a Mallet trade, but Browns fans would be up in arms if he traded a significant pick for Mallett. I don't know what kind of year Weeden had, but it wasn't horrible and he WAS a rookie. How dumb would it be for him invest ANOTHER high pick on an unknown quantity after investing a first round pick on Weeden last year.

4. The smart thing for Cleveland to have done would have been to keep that #1 picks and traded for Mallett LAST year, (2nd or 3rd) like I suggested.

5. If Mallett ultimately stays as Brady's principal back up for the next 2 years, then I would think that we'd gotten excellent value for that 3rd round pick. If he's traded for any value this year, we got decent value for the pick.

6. If Mallet is gone this off season, the potential back ups are many. Cassell is the obvious one. Hoyer I bet would love to come back, and Kafka is an interesting prospect. So if Mallet IS traded, then I wouldn't be worried too much about Brady's back up.

7. Finally, a question. Early in the thread when the euphoria was high and thoughts about a #6 pick were rampant, I was shocked to see so many willing to squander this once in a lifetime chance at a top 10 pick, on a OLman. Even if Volmer ISN'T re-signed, I can't see the Pats using that pick in an area of existing strength. DL is an existing need, and this, by all accounts is a great draft for the DL. Why then even continplate using this miracle fantasy pick on an OG, regardless of how good you might think he is. Just asking.

1) Favre threw 4 passes his rookie year before being traded to GB for a #1. Must have been a lot of positive tape on those 4 throws

3) Do successful GMs enlist the vote of the masses on major decisions? That's Jetsonian

7) Why do you see OL as a strength. The Patriots went shot gun 13/14 times on 3rd down verses Baltimore. Clearly they had little faith the OL could win the hard yard battles. Teams with stout D lines force NE to become one dimensional on critical downs. Knowing the play will be a pass is an advantage for defenses

And how is that any different than someone like Geno Smith, Matt Barkley, Tyler Wilson or Mike Glennon going top 10?

Mallett would have gone in the first round if he would have stayed for his season year. Maybe even top 10.

You have absolutely no idea if that's true. Some quarterbacks who stay for their senior year end up going later than they would have if they went into the draft early. Matt Leinart being the obvious recent example.

sfpat said:
this would justify a high value for Mallet as he clearly would be the best QB in the draft.

Based on what? Why is Mallet clearly better than Barkley, Smith, or Nassib, other than our wishful thinking?

After reading the first 3 and last 3 pages (so pardon if there is any redundancy here), here are my thoughts.

1. If the Browns ever gave the Pats a top 10 pick for Ryan Mallet, the league should start an investigation. Ludicrous to think the Browns (who don't have a 2nd rounder in this draft) would trade this pick for anyone, let alone a guy who hasn't thrown 10 passes in the NFL, and has no significant positive tape on him.

2. If we are to maximize the 3rd round investment in Mallett, THIS is the year to trade him. Something like a 2014 2nd or a 2013 3rd would be more than fair. In fact I think even this would be overly optimistic.

3. The fact that Lombardi has the "GM" job in Cleveland ups the chances of a Mallet trade, but Browns fans would be up in arms if he traded a significant pick for Mallett. I don't know what kind of year Weeden had, but it wasn't horrible and he WAS a rookie. How dumb would it be for him invest ANOTHER high pick on an unknown quantity after investing a first round pick on Weeden last year.

4. The smart thing for Cleveland to have done would have been to keep that #1 picks and traded for Mallett LAST year, (2nd or 3rd) like I suggested.

5. If Mallett ultimately stays as Brady's principal back up for the next 2 years, then I would think that we'd gotten excellent value for that 3rd round pick. If he's traded for any value this year, we got decent value for the pick.

6. If Mallet is gone this off season, the potential back ups are many. Cassell is the obvious one. Hoyer I bet would love to come back, and Kafka is an interesting prospect. So if Mallet IS traded, then I wouldn't be worried too much about Brady's back up.

7. Finally, a question. Early in the thread when the euphoria was high and thoughts about a #6 pick were rampant, I was shocked to see so many willing to squander this once in a lifetime chance at a top 10 pick, on a OLman. Even if Volmer ISN'T re-signed, I can't see the Pats using that pick in an area of existing strength. DL is an existing need, and this, by all accounts is a great draft for the DL. Why then even continplate using this miracle fantasy pick on an OG, regardless of how good you might think he is. Just asking.

Ken,

You have been sucked into the muck and mire of draftnik impossibilities and imagineings. First of all, any replacement at QB is going to cost double what they are paying for Mallett, with no upside at all, even if someone is available. Mallett may, or may not be, the succession, but he is by far the cheapest backup QB.

The Pats are CAP constrained now, they don't need to devote another million or two a year, at minimum, to the likes of a Hoyer, who as far as I know is tied up in Arizona, as is Cassell in KC. Prying either loose before the end of TC, would likely cost a draft pick, or you can wait until final cutdown and get them when/if they are cut; but then they don't have any TC with the club to re-acclimatize.

This team is not far away!

It lost in its second straight AFCCG, to a "Last Hurrah" Raven's team which is sucking it up and doing it one more time on experience, before going massively Over the Hill. The Ravens won't be back, next year.

The Pat's lost with a significant number of key players on IR, or in the trainer's room. Those things happen. You just have to ...wait 'till next year.

Considder the talent unavailable. Edelmen as a returner, for KRs and PRs, and as a possession/deeper WR, Ras_I as another big CB, Talib as the only remaining big CB, going down with a hamstring, in the game. The Pats lost Chandler Jones to only two plays with an ankle, Kyle Love to a knee sprain, after 3 plays, Ridley to a concussion, in the game.

Missing were Gronkowski, and Fletcher, and Ballard. Stallworth filled the deep receiver need, for only one game or catch before IR too. Hightower, Dennard, Tavon Wilson, Zuskevics, and Jones can be downgraded with rookie inexperience. Zuskevics may just be the swing tackle reserve, that frees Cannon for RG, next season.

As far as I am concerned they would likely be in the next AFCCG, with only health, and merely standing pat. Wholesale changes are NOT needed; and the three UFAs can be resigned with $18 million in cap space, and especially so, since much more CAP room is coming in 2014. All that is needed is creative contracts.

But BB is not standing still, he has talented newcomers Armon Armistead, Jeff Demps, and Ballard joining the team already, as well. Plus all the walking wounded are returning, and no one seems to have a career threatening injury. Over-the-Hillitis only effects Deon Branch. There is still the draft, to add even more talent.

Please, Step back and get some perspective.

This would be amazing if bb pulled it off. However, we don't truly need a whole lot. As az just stated, we have a ton of "b" players coming off injury. Ballard could be huge for "gronk" insurance. Demps could prove to make Edelman look like the red Hesse step child on return teams, not too mention the speed he brings (remember what vereen did to Houston two weeks ago?) Coming out of the backfield.

I think it would be unwise to actually use the pick if we did manage the theft. Trade that thing back and hope the partner tanks for next year's first. I haven't looked at any of the nitwit (I mean that well!) review of this year's crop, but with all the young potential talent it may be a mistake to over fill the ranks. Could we use a stud dt, yes, but this Amstead fellow could prove to be that schematic game changer. If he comes as advertised, it would be tough not to move to the 34 more predominately. The lb core is there. All that's missing is a cover type to stick opposite Jones.

Of course a stud cb would be nice, but I'd be happy resigning talib to a friendly deal and hoping ras-ir stays healthy, taking a flier on a safety in the mid rounds. I think it's time to let Wes walk, and double dip at wr, then limit the "tpg" (throws per game) to te's abs how Brady returns to the unpredictable find the open man style that made him who he is.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2

Yeah, I never heard of Tom Brady, either!!
jester.gif

Some Disturbing Yet Fascinating Truths, my friend:

1 ~ Tom Brady ~ 6th Rounder.

2 ~ Joe Montana ~ 3rd Rounder.

3 ~ Johny Unitas ~ 9th Rounder (4th Rounder in 2013 Dollars ;))

4 ~ Bart Starr ~ arguably the best'f'm all!! ~ 17th Rounder ~ 7th Rounder, today.

Sorry if the facts shatter your "Argument". :rolleyes:

I wouldn't say it "shatters" his argument. You've gone back almost 60 years and found 4 examples (and I'll add Kurt Warner and Tony Romo) to your list. That's about one every 10 years on average (not sure Starr should be on this list as he was the ultimate system QB). I'd say the stats support the original premise (a late round pick won't replace Brady).

jester.gif

4 ~ Bart Starr ~ arguably the best'f'm all!! ~ 17th Rounder ~ 7th Rounder, today.

I wouldn't say it "shatters" his argument. You've gone back almost 60 years and found 4 examples (and I'll add Kurt Warner and Tony Romo) to your list. That's about one every 10 years on average (not sure Starr should be on this list as he was the ultimate system QB). I'd say the stats support the original premise (a late round pick won't replace Brady).

And you'd be wrong. :)

I suggest that you take another look at that list.
spock.gif

Your Kurt Warner and Tony Romo don't belong with a million MILES of it. :eek:

Those are 4 of the 5 greatest QuarterBacks of the Modern Age.

Those are the only 5 guys I bothered looking at, thank you.

I didn't mention Otto Graham, because he was drafted early in the 1st Round.

3 out of 5 drafted around Pick #200 or later is pretty compelling evidence, I would say. ;)

jester.gif

And you'd be wrong. :)

I suggest that you take another look at that list.
spock.gif

Your Kurt Warner and Tony Romo don't belong with a million MILES of it. :rolleyes:

Those are 4 of the 5 greatest QuarterBacks of the Modern Age.

Those are the only 5 guys I bothered looking at, thank you.

I didn't mention Otto Graham, because he was drafted early in the 1st Round.

3 out of 5 drafted around Pick #200 or later is pretty compelling evidence, I would say. ;)

And the idea of Bart Starr being simply a "System QuarterBack" is hilarious.

To be fair, it depends on what claim one's trying to make.

There's quite a difference between these three statements:
  • "If the next QB for the Pats is a great one, it's likely he'll be picked late."
  • "A late-round QB has a good chance of replacing Tom Brady."
  • "A late-round QB gives the Patriots the best chance at QB after Tom Brady leaves."
Evidence for one claim is not evidence for all of 'em.

The focus in this thread has shifted mostly to a squabble over Malletts value, which in my opinion, is the least important detail. Those who see potential in a top 10 pick for him are homers, and those who see his value unchanged as haters. Value isnt for us to judge, its a combination of many factors, dictated primarily on need and availability.

In this draft, 5 of the top 8 teams desparately need to upgrade their qb situation. 4 of those teams are under new management and coaching regimes, making it more likely they upgrade their QB in the process. 2 of those teams have direct links to the Patriots and the system we run. So, if I were to lay out the possibilities, here is how I see the interest levels from each of the teams drafting high.

KC: will most likely go offensive or defensive line, with a veteran qb brought in to hold down the fort for another year of sucktitude
Jags: who knows, since they need help everywhere and Henne is a decent enough vet if they dont keep passing the reigns to Gabs
Raiders: love strong armed qbs with deep ball capabilities, but their defensive line is a mess, so Star is the obvious choice for them
Eagles: Chip helped the Pats instill the high tempo offense at the pro level, so being able to acquire a qb who is more than just a little familiar with it would be very enticing. With their o-line coming back healthy, they have fewer holes than any team in the top 10, except at QB
Lions: really need dependable help in the secondary and o-line, but their "star positions" have placeholders already
Browns: really physical o-line, high potential receivers and backs, weak qb, high potential defense. A QB and this team has playof potential, with the addition of another TE
cards: the weakest qb situation in the league, outside of KC. Unfortunately, their tackles are worse. They cant invest heavily at qb without also investing on the o-line. Their d is championship quality, as are their receivers.

So you have a ton of teams with high need for qbs and tackles, but their are only 2 tackles and no qbs worth taking. This doesnt make Mallett the only option, but it does make him a very interest prospect given his inexpense in salary and going to the brady school of quarterbacking.

Look at the senior bow. This qb class is horrendous.
If you need one how can you not at least give bill a call about malett?

I've always been high on Mallet, thought he was a better pro prospect than Newton.

Another step closer (maybe):

Browns owner Jimmy Haslam vows to create a quarterback competition for Brandon Weeden

More QB talk: I said that a quarterback change would be a ‘splashy’ move. I asked Haslam, “Are the Browns considering a new quarterback?”

He didn’t say no.

“You know, I think Norv (Turner) and Chud (Rob Chudzinski) have been very open that they like a lot about what Brandon (Weeden) does, but we’re gonna have competition at that position,” Haslam said. “I think competition makes us all better. We’ll see where that competition comes from.”

http://espncleveland.com/common/more.php?m=49&action=blog&r=17&post_id=11891

A more likely scenerio for Mallett would be the Brown's 3rd round
pick plus a conditional pick. First, the Patriots would have to re-sign
Hoyer or Cassel.

The thing is the PAtriots have no reason to get rid of Mallett so theyre gonna get more for them then they should maybe not the 6th overall pick but a 2014 first would be nice

if we got the 6 would you rather take star loteloli or trade back to someone like the rams they probably want fisher. At 16 and 22 we could probably get Ziggy Ansah and maybe Hankins too. Im having a really tough time deciding what id go for id probably go for hankins and ziggy but its a tough choice

If we are going to trade Mallett and some how someone gives up a high pick (which seems unlikely to me) then I would rather have the Browns 1st next year and maybe another mid rounder this year. The Browns are likely to have another top 10 pick next year and we can pick up Brady's successor then, in what could be a deeper QB class.

Not to get too deep down this Browns fantasy rabbit hole, but I dont think future picks is a wise move. With a real qb, and a boatload of money to spend, they absolutely could get up between 7-9 wins next year. They have a lot of interesting pieces, they are maybe a year or two behind where the Bengals are at this point.

I agree. We don't need more 2014 picks as much as we need more 2013 picks.

Not to get too deep down this Browns fantasy rabbit hole, but I dont think future picks is a wise move. With a real qb, and a boatload of money to spend, they absolutely could get up between 7-9 wins next year. They have a lot of interesting pieces, they are maybe a year or two behind where the Bengals are at this point.

Very good point. The Browns are showing a spark, over there, and may very well take a big step forward, next year...especially if they acquire a young stalwart stud like Mallett to play QB for'm. ;)

A more likely scenerio for Mallett would be the Brown's 3rd round
pick plus a conditional pick.

That's understood.

This is just a Fantasy Thread. ;)

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill