PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor Revis to be cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the Jet's choice is a $6M cap hit in 2017 if they cut him at the end of the year or paying him $17M to play free safety next year? Even the Jets aren't that dumb. I assume he's gone.

Plus if they cut him he could cost them even less if he signs somewhere else. Makes what's already probably an easy choice even easier.

Revis would be a fantastic FS if he can swallow his pride and play there like Woodson did.

Revis was never a burner, and now he's lost a step. Don't you need range to play FS? I question if he has it. I don't feel like he could play FS?

God, I hope not. at this point, revis would be the Pats #4 cb. i dont want ryan or rowe losing any snaps to him. hes old and slow. The pats wrung the last good year out of him. It was win-win-Pats got a SB-so did revis and he cashed in bigtime with the hapless jets, who BB destroyed again in the big-stakes poker game. I love what revis brought in 2014-and i dont think it hurt butler to be around him, not to mention hes a 1st ballot hofer-but i dont want him back.

He actually isn't old. he is 7 months older than Talib. But he is fat and happy and got paid.. and obviously football was all about the money. And after he got the money.. well now he is just another guy.

Revis was never a burner, and now he's lost a step. Don't you need range to play FS? I question if he has it. I don't feel like he could play FS?

It's weird, I've always felt the same way re: Revis' deep speed, which is why I was really surprised to learn he ran a 4.38 at the combine. Apparently he used to be awfully fast, though I really don't remember it that way.

If i'm not mistaken, it's only been 18 months since they bought their whole secondary in the Free Agency (Revis-Cromartie-Gilchrist-Skrine). They assembled what was meant to be a "dream team" secondary for their championship-caliber defense (at least salary cap wise). 18 months later, the vasectomy guy is gone, the mevis guy is as good as gone, and their defense is the 22nd in passing yards allowed / 21st in points so far. Think about it : our whole "dime" secondary (Dmac-Chung-Harmon-Butler-Ryan-Rowe) is cheaper than Revis 2017 cap hit... This team is disgustingly garbage. There is one reason why the garbage trucks in Paris are painted in the same colors as their uniform.

The JetMobile :
Avertissement de redirection

He's rumored to be cut like now or at the end of the season?

I don't see the Jets humiliating a long standing, well respected player in their organization with a mid season cut for a team that will continue to lose with or without him.

I imagine that this is after the season. I'm not sure Revis would have enough pride to sign with anyone for low money to be a fourth or fifth DB (which is what he'd be on the Pats).

I thought to myself, "he's absolutely right. Not humiliating a long standing, well respected player in their organization with a mid season cut is the right thing to do. I'm sure that won't happen."

Then I remembered the organization was the Jets so the rumor must be true. o_O

He wasn't even the best CB in 2014. He was very good, mostly in the regular season, but lets not overrated him.

I liked having Revis on the team, but I also remember Jordy Nelson tearing by him in space like he was standing still.

There was plenty to like in 2014, but there were events to dislike as well. He was a necessary part of the championship, but that is now history (as, I suspect, are Revis's high earning years).

He's rumored to be cut like now or at the end of the season?

I don't see the Jets humiliating a long standing, well respected player in their organization with a mid season cut for a team that will continue to lose with or without him.

I agree that the jests won't cut him during the season. But I don't know how much he's well respected by the jests. In his time there he's:
  • held out on a contract
  • threatened to hold out on another contract
  • posted pictures of himself guzzling champagne from the bottle while sitting out injured
  • signed a team-friendly deal and won a ring with their most hated rival
  • came back on a salary cap-killing deal while looking fat, lazy and disinterested.

I don't know, would he be an upgrade over Josh Boyer at CB coach?

..... we're not talking about him actually taking the field for us are we?

Wonder if hed be willing to move to a safety roll if he gets cut, kind of like how Woodson moved to safety at the end of his career and was extremely successful.

Revis' entire 2016 salary of 17 Million dollars (said with the Dr. Evil accent) is guaranteed, so cutting him this year would make absolutely no sense.

His 2017 salary is down as follows:

2 million dollar roster bonus
$333,333 prorated part of his signing bonus
13 millon dollar salary of which 6 million is guaranteed.

So his total cap number next year is 15,333,333, the Jets can save 9 million in real money by cutting him before his roster bonus is due (usually the beginning of the league year) and (2 mil roster bonus and 7 mil in salary.

Revis would still count as 8 million against their cap (as opposed to 15,333,333 if they don't cut him).

So yes, there is some decent financial and cap advantages to the Jets if they cut him next year.

Great post. Just wanted to add that Spotrac has the $2M roster bonus due on the second day of the league year. So technically $6M against the cap if they cut him on the first day.

Darrelle Revis

The Jets are less than $600K under the cap this year so there's absolutely no way they could cut him in-season for anyone speculating that to be the case.

Is he going to send his mother to sign the new contract?

He isn't coming back after that trash he talked on Instagram about Brady and the team.

He isn't coming back because he is getting roasted on a regular basis. Mitchell, a rookie, beat him for a pair of TD's. Ever aware of the toll football has taken on his body and skill, he also isn't doing much hitting/tackling. The dude is mentally and physically beat.

I wouldn't be entirely shocked if he retired after this season. He has gone from undisputed best corner to a tossup between him and Sherman, to someday soon possibly not even being the best corner on his team.
I don't know if he can ever get OK in his head with just being a good corner, getting thrown at & scored on much more frequently, constantly being asked about where the magic has gone, and, eventually, covering other teams 3rd & 4th options instead of the number 1 guy.

We'll see if he's got any Brady "I'll quit when I suck" self respect in him, or will go from team to team like Favre until he is totally useless.

I agree that the jests won't cut him during the season. But I don't know how much he's well respected by the jests. In his time there he's:
  • held out on a contract
  • threatened to hold out on another contract
  • posted pictures of himself guzzling champagne from the bottle while sitting out injured
  • signed a team-friendly deal and won a ring with their most hated rival
  • came back on a salary cap-killing deal while looking fat, lazy and disinterested.
That's a useful perspective. Despite all that, up until recently, he still seemed to have Jet royalty status, so the team and fan base were in denial about your list. I wonder if this year's frustration will cause all that denial to crumble and he becomes an exaggerated target for their hostility.

Someone should have some t-shirts made of him at the Pats' SB victory celebration on the field that we can all wear around NYC next time we are there.

Wonder if hed be willing to move to a safety roll if he gets cut, kind of like how Woodson moved to safety at the end of his career and was extremely successful.

Right now IMO the transition to safety would not be a good one.

Both Rod Woodson and Charles Woodson lost their sticky twitchy speed but still had decent straight line speed and a quick 1st step and played FS at a Pro Bowl level.

First, Revis needs to get healthy and lose some weight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST