PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Patriots tried to trade for Aaron Rodgers

I find it hard to believe, given the opportunity to trade Mac for 3 seasons of Rodgers and Belichick, that Pats Fans would really turn it down. Rodgers is a 4x NFL MVP, some of his stats are mindboggling, and he "sucked" last season while still being better than Mac (and Mac probably had better weapons).

Brady played elite football to age 45, Rodgers is only 39, he quit last season, it wasn't a talent decline and he'll be motivated this year to build onto his legacy. After watching Brady and Stafford do it, I'm sure Rodgers thinks he can follow suit. A Super Bowl appearance isn't out of the question for the Jets. Buffalo is probably the only other East team with a chance, Miami maybe if Tua starts every game (lol) and their defense is significantly improved (doubt it).
Yeah THAT makes a lot of sense. :rolleyes:

You bang the drum for a mythical Rodgers trade for an albeit talented QB, but who is 40, has threatened to retire multiple the last few years even though he's under contract. AND has for close to the last 15 years has gagged in all but ONE season. Has a HORRIBLE record of 4th quarter comebacks. He's more physically talented than Brady, but has the mental toughness of a wet paper towel. In fact he's the antithesis of everything that made Brady the goat And the media has been covering up that ugly truth for over a decade. He's the ultimate stats whore.

Sure he'll make the Jets better. He'll likely get them to the playoffs.. But the fact is that at some point he'll fade away in a big moment. He's a far better QB (at this point) than Mac Jones, but I wouldn't trust him to lead my team. He's a ME guy. He's already making the Jets all about him AND if something goes wrong this season (injuries, etc) he will bail on them too.

You said it yourself, he QUIT on the Packers and good fans who have supported him for a long time. You really want a quitter to lead our team, even a talented one.

I highly doubt this rumor is true.

They may have lobbed a call into them to see if the Pack were willing to accept pennies on the dollar and AR adjust his salary but that's it

I highly doubt this rumor is true.

They may have lobbed a call into them to see if the Pack were willing to accept pennies on the dollar and AR adjust his salary but that's it
Packer's GM Brian Brian Gutekunst: Hello, this is Brian.
BB: Brian! Bill Belichick. Calling on Aaron Rodgers. Hey listen, how 'bout a 5th and you guys eat 65% of the salary.
Gutekunst: *click*
BB: Hello? Hello??

I did chuckle a bit, learning the Packer's GM's name is Gutekunst.

Rodgers equaled instant Super Bowl in NE.

The defense is good enough.
The WRs and TEs are good enough.
Coaching is good enough.
RBs are good enough.

And dog gone it, people like Bob Kraft.

He's already making the Jets all about him AND if something goes wrong this season (injuries, etc) he will bail on them too.

This is why there could be truth to the rumor and why I might believe it. Rodgers wouldn't want to come to New England because he knows BB runs the show here, he wants to go to an organization that will grovel at his feet and cater to his every demand.. and he'll get that in the toilet bowl of the NFL Jetes

Rodgers doesnt want to be coached hard at this point in his career, he just wants pats on the back and everyone to tell him he's special

Packer's GM Brian Brian Gutekunst: Hello, this is Brian.
BB: Brian! Bill Belichick. Calling on Aaron Rodgers. Hey listen, how 'bout a 5th and you guys eat 65% of the salary.
Gutekunst: *click*
BB: Hello? Hello??

I did chuckle a bit, learning the Packer's GM's name is Gutekunst.
My HS home ec teacher was this guy's 1st cousin...

It's pronounced "Koontz"

Screen Shot 2023-06-16 at 8.36.10 AM.png

this rumor comes fdrom the same guy who said rodgers was going to san fean and carr was coming to ny

We'll see how the season unfolds but Rodgers looks like he still has plenty left in the tank. He pretty much checked out on Green Bay last season so the change in scenery should do him some good. QB was the final piece for the Jets, they're pretty solid all around, good receivers, good running game with a healthy Breece Hall, very good defense. Last season they got one good start each from Flacco and White but beyond those their QB play was horrendous. Rodgers changes the equation and probably gets them into the postseason. He similarly would have improved the Patriots chances. Personally I can't stand the guy but there's no denying his quarterbacking ability. However, there is something to be said for his lack of postseason success... he's got really good individual postseason numbers but he has a very bad habit of coming up small in the most critical moments (which obviously is a glaring flaw).

The guy is going to be 40 by the end of the season this year. Unlike Brady, a large portion of his game was his physical skills. I don't know if you can say his problems last year was his attitude and not that he is slowing down.

And if he was sandbagging it because he was upset with his situation as a QB, why in the world would you ever a guy like that on your team. It is one thing for taking a shot on a lineman who went through the motions because he was upset with his situation, but this is a freaking QB. He is supposed to be the leader of the team.

And you know what? If he did lack effort last year because of his situation, wait until the Jets hit a rough patch and the media goes at him. He has never had to deal with a group of media like the NY media.

It wouldn't surprise me if the Pats did their due diligence and made some sort of offer because he's an upgrade to what they had. Does that mean they seriously pursued him were interested in negotiating beyond whatever they offered? I kind of doubt it.
I'm sure the team made an offer.. I'm glad they didn't trade for him.. AR hell of a QB.. transcendent thrower of the football.. however it's the shannigans and such that come along with him..

Lot easier to pay a qb ( Mac) 2 million than 50 milly..

Coaching is good enough.
RBs are good enough.

ARs lone superbowl from 2010, he hasn't even sniffed one since then.. however still a great QB just not a winner..

I can almost guarantee Mac was involved in that trade scenario with GB.. there were reports Mac was being shopped during the off season.
The anti-Mac rumors were likely coming from Patricia and/or Judge to try and deflect blame.

The anti-Mac rumors were likely coming from Patricia and/or Judge to try and deflect blame.
Yeah that could be true! I am not so hard on Patricia that I am on GI Joe.. Patricia was in over his head and BB knew it.

However I'm all set on Rodgers, guy's been a heck of QB however isn't a winner.. he's had plenty of elite talent around him.. had he had the mentality of # 12 he'd have more than 1 championship.

Yeah that could be true! I am not so hard on Patricia that I am on GI Joe.. Patricia was in over his head and BB knew it.

However I'm all set on Rodgers, guy's been a heck of QB however isn't a winner.. he's had plenty of elite talent around him.. had he had the mentality of # 12 he'd have more than 1 championship.
We can be thankful that no one else on the field has the mentality of #12.

I find it hard to believe, given the opportunity to trade Mac for 3 seasons of Rodgers and Belichick, that Pats Fans would really turn it down. Rodgers is a 4x NFL MVP, some of his stats are mindboggling, and he "sucked" last season while still being better than Mac (and Mac probably had better weapons).

Brady played elite football to age 45, Rodgers is only 39, he quit last season, it wasn't a talent decline and he'll be motivated this year to build onto his legacy. After watching Brady and Stafford do it, I'm sure Rodgers thinks he can follow suit. A Super Bowl appearance isn't out of the question for the Jets. Buffalo is probably the only other East team with a chance, Miami maybe if Tua starts every game (lol) and their defense is significantly improved (doubt it).

I'm sure the tenor of the Patsfans board toward Rodgers would warm up considerably if he had signed here. And then even more so if a bunch of W's followed come gametime.

Coaching is good enough.
RBs are good enough.

He's had more talented teams offensively in Green Bay, but found ways to come up short. Granted, McCarthy was known as being pretty limited as a game manager and with X's and O's as Greg Jennings had said an opposing team (I think 49ers) asked him why they keep running the same plays? The defense was also bad for most of Rodgers time in Green Bay, but they still had plenty of opportunities to win more games.

I don't know what his record is now, but he was known as being historically bad when trailing in the 4th Q. It was like 0-40 at some point or something like that. I remember first hearing it from Colin Cowherd a few years ago.

There's no way him and Bill would work as Aaron is known to disrespect his Coach in front of the team.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back