PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Patriots tried to trade for Aaron Rodgers

Not sure if that would be an upgrade. I respect Roger and his talent but he doesn't fit the patriots way.

Bill would never allow him to dictate things here like he has already at Exit-16W, and will continue to do there.

Neither Bill nor A-a-ron has seen things go well since the former lost Brady and the latter lost to him later that same year; not sure therefore if a Belichick - Rodgers marriage would be made in Heaven particularly...

This is a fever dream written by a professed Jest’s fan and criminal about their biggest nemesis over the last three decades… give us a break.

I STILL don't see Lamar. Love the talent, but I want to see it produce more than ONE playoff win before I buy in. Great talent, LOVE watching him, but is it sustainable. It certainly HASN'T been in Baltimore.

Playoff games ...

1)8th overall game! As he took over mid year. He played Staley and the Chargers and got hit with a D people are trying to emulate today. Stealing half gaps, Saf at LB and his OL let up 20 pressures that resulted in 7 sacks and 2.5 yards per rush. Also who can name 2 WR from that team.

2)Titans were A LOT more prepared and caught the Ravens lacking coming out a bye. Ravens offense was a mess. Big time lack of readiness.

3) W

4)Bill's pressured him 40% of time blitzing 50%. 3 points off 4 red zone appearances with 2 blocked FG and a pick 6.

Look I don't make excuses, Ken. Lamar absolutely needs to play better but he's gotten 0 help by the way of coaching, defense when it really matters in key parts and help by way of WR or running game, again when it matters. Crucial drops, OL or defensive penalties to make things worse at key times.

After watching this run you can't help but appreciate and talk about the coaching we had those years. Not just Bill but everyone. As good as Roman is he didn't want Lamar to audible at the line in 2023 even though it's something Lamar has done in the past. College and Pros. You look at Troy Brown, David Patton, Branch, Faulk, Dillon and many others and can appreciate how that made it for Tom.

The Ravens screwed this up royally. After one great year the offense didn't evolve, other players regressed/retired and its been strictly on Jackson. Which reminds me Josh Allen was 1-3 before Diggs and some help on offense. Coaching, offensively and defensively.

I still don't believe they've done enough and are piecing things together on the fly but we'll see. Lamar isn't perfect but he's elevated average talent around him. There is no offensive system you need to try and "make" work. He's one of the more efficient QB's in the game who can create for himself as a passer and runner. His peak is MVP, top 3 QB in the league and when he's not Superman he's still dragging a team to the playoffs that has no business being there. He has to play better but it's not hard to see what he brings to the table.
I'll be happy if we get Hopkins, though I still don't see how it makes us THAT much better. I'd also be happy with Cook at a third the Price. Either would make the offense better. Simply put Hopkins would make it more effective, Cooks would make it more explosive. What I will find interesting is what this team looks like with next year with all that cap space. Regardless of the record, 4 wins or 12, imo this is the year where you find out where the needs of your team lies, and the next 2 years are when you fill them because you CAN.
See I'm the opposite here. I think Rham is ready for a full workload and offers as much if not more than Cook at this time. He needs a breath here and there not another RB1. Idk I love the dynamics we have going on. Power & toughness with Rham and Harris. Legit 4.38 speed to take the corner in Strong. You can only run the ball so much in 22/24. I think this wr corp is in serious need of an alpha WR1 and Hop would provide that. Albeit short term but that's life in the NFL now.

Playoff games ...

1)8th overall game! As he took over mid year. He played Staley and the Chargers and got hit with a D people are trying to emulate today. Stealing half gaps, Saf at LB and his OL let up 20 pressures that resulted in 7 sacks and 2.5 yards per rush. Also who can name 2 WR from that team.

2)Titans were A LOT more prepared and caught the Ravens lacking coming out a bye. Ravens offense was a mess. Big time lack of readiness.

3) W

4)Bill's pressured him 40% of time blitzing 50%. 3 points off 4 red zone appearances with 2 blocked FG and a pick 6.

Look I don't make excuses, Ken. Lamar absolutely needs to play better but he's gotten 0 help by the way of coaching, defense when it really matters in key parts and help by way of WR or running game, again when it matters. Crucial drops, OL or defensive penalties to make things worse at key times.

After watching this run you can't help but appreciate and talk about the coaching we had those years. Not just Bill but everyone. As good as Roman is he didn't want Lamar to audible at the line in 2023 even though it's something Lamar has done in the past. College and Pros. You look at Troy Brown, David Patton, Branch, Faulk, Dillon and many others and can appreciate how that made it for Tom.

The Ravens screwed this up royally. After one great year the offense didn't evolve, other players regressed/retired and its been strictly on Jackson. Which reminds me Josh Allen was 1-3 before Diggs and some help on offense. Coaching, offensively and defensively.

I still don't believe they've done enough and are piecing things together on the fly but we'll see. Lamar isn't perfect but he's elevated average talent around him. There is no offensive system you need to try and "make" work. He's one of the more efficient QB's in the game who can create for himself as a passer and runner. His peak is MVP, top 3 QB in the league and when he's not Superman he's still dragging a team to the playoffs that has no business being there. He has to play better but it's not hard to see what he brings to the table.
Good read. I certainly get what you are saying and it is hard NOT to buy into it, but its a moot point since he's signed with the Ravens. He has a decent roster of offensive weapons this year. Lets see what he does with it, and if he can make it into the post season and do something there

BTW- in defending Lamar, you do a great job of pointing out that is NEVER just about how good your QB is. You need it to be a TEAM effort. I never gets done if everyone isn't "doing their job" regardless of how good you QB is.
See I'm the opposite here. I think Rham is ready for a full workload and offers as much if not more than Cook at this time. He needs a breath here and there not another RB1. Idk I love the dynamics we have going on. Power & toughness with Rham and Harris. Legit 4.38 speed to take the corner in Strong. You can only run the ball so much in 22/24. I think this wr corp is in serious need of an alpha WR1 and Hop would provide that. Albeit short term but that's life in the NFL now.
a couple of points:

I agree that Rham IS ready to take a 3 down role this year. I have never questioned his talent. BUT I think it would be a real advantage to both RHam and the Pats in a Cooks addition. Rham can catch, but Cooks has been a more proven EXPLOSIVE receiver. A better version of James White, because he is a vastly superior runner. AND I don't know if Rham is an equal to Cooks as a route runner. He may be, but I don't know at this point. Route running was White's special power.

I want to limit Rhams carries. I'd like to see him around a few years. Maybe Strong can be that guy, but Cooks is proven. Strong wasn't bad in his few reps last year, but nothing that stood out. Cooks could be a better James White Explosive both as a runner AND receiver. A Cooks/Stevenson combination would be terrifying to defend, very flexible and make everyone around them better.

Another thought would be that Cooks would likely get more touches per game than Hopkins running and receiving, even if he is sharing snaps with Rham. Just a thought.

2ndly, Hard for me to give an Alpha WR1 title to a guy who is essentially a "possession" receiver. A guy who is described as open when he's covered. A guy who makes the contested receptions. He has done all those things very very well during his career. But is he the guy who will make the "chunk" play on a regular basis. I don't know if that's his game. That being said, I don't know his "game" all that well. So I will bow to your expertise.

Last edited:
It is not happening, but Aaron Rodgers loves Bill Belichick, and Bill Belichick loves Aaron Rodgers. So Aaron would adapt to whatever Bill wanted. Rodgers would be much better than Mac Jones as Pat's starter.

Any established NFL QB would be better than Mac Jones as the Pats starting QB this season.

Good read. I certainly get what you are saying and it is hard NOT to buy into it, but its a moot point since he's signed with the Ravens. He has a decent roster of offensive weapons this year. Lets see what he does with it, and if he can make it into the post season and do something there

BTW- in defending Lamar, you do a great job of pointing out that is NEVER just about how good your QB is. You need it to be a TEAM effort. I never gets done if everyone isn't "doing their job" regardless of how good you QB is.
I mean these guys are supremely talented. Incredibly well paid. Gifted beyond belief but they still need a lot of help. I've always said and maintain coaching matters the most on the margins. A great HC isn't winning you games but helps tip the scales when things are closer like playoff games. You need a defense to step up, score points. Get you turnovers. You need ST to help win field position.

You look at those playoff games and there were no unsung heroes.

Im interested in what happens this year with Flowers, Bateman and Odell. They have talent but 2/3 have missed a lot games recently.
a couple of points:

I agree that Rham IS ready to take a 3 down role this year. I have never questioned his talent. BUT I think it would be a real advantage to both RHam and the Pats in a Cooks addition. Rham can catch, but Cooks has been a more proven EXPLOSIVE receiver. A better version of James White, because he is a vastly superior runner. AND I don't know if Rham is an equal to Cooks as a route runner. He may be, but I don't know at this point. Route running was White's special power.

I want to limit Rhams carries. I'd like to see him around a few years. Maybe Strong can be that guy, but Cooks is proven. Strong wasn't bad in his few reps last year, but nothing that stood out. Cooks could be a better James White Explosive both as a runner AND receiver. A Cooks/Stevenson combination would be terrifying to defend, very flexible and make everyone around them better.

Another thought would be that Cooks would likely get more touches per game than Hopkins running and receiving, even if he is sharing snaps with Rham. Just a thought.
Hard pass for me. We don't need him, Ken. If we didn't have Rham, big yes but he's a little redundant. We didn't draft Strong to sit him. This is a former team captain with over 60 rec avg 9 + per rec in college. He's more than capable of taking on that role and just need to be utilized.
Check his lateral movements clip 4. Just slicing down the line find a cutback. Jump cut to beat saf. He also does a great job letting his blockers do the heavy lifting and has a legit NFL burst. He impressed me in limited showings and again we really shouldn't be letting our draft picks for a number of reasons. Too much of that. He's a proven versatile college back. 24. Team captain. Easiest position that translates. This is a no brainer imo.

2ndly, Hard for me to give an Alpha WR1 title to a guy who is essentially a "possession" receiver. A guy who is described as open when he's covered. A guy who makes the contested receptions. He has done all those things very very well during his career. But is he the guy who will make the "chunk" play on a regular basis. I don't know if that's his game. That being said, I don't know his "game" all that well. So I will bow to your expertise.
Do you consider Adams a WR1?
Screenshot_20230618_050122_Chrome.jpg

There have been plenty of guys like him that are legit WR1. If he plays 16 he's almost a guaranteed 1200-1300/8 WR. He's missed that mark twice in his career when playing 16. Once his rookie year 800 something and like 950 the other time. He's missed some games but still a top 10-15 WR when on. He was on pace for well over 1k/6 last year.

This rumor came from Craig Carton, who is a massive Jets fan with zero credibility.

I find it hard to believe, given the opportunity to trade Mac for 3 seasons of Rodgers and Belichick, that Pats Fans would really turn it down. Rodgers is a 4x NFL MVP, some of his stats are mindboggling, and he "sucked" last season while still being better than Mac (and Mac probably had better weapons).

Brady played elite football to age 45, Rodgers is only 39, he quit last season, it wasn't a talent decline and he'll be motivated this year to build onto his legacy. After watching Brady and Stafford do it, I'm sure Rodgers thinks he can follow suit. A Super Bowl appearance isn't out of the question for the Jets. Buffalo is probably the only other East team with a chance, Miami maybe if Tua starts every game (lol) and their defense is significantly improved (doubt it).
Rodgers sucks in the playoffs, There is a reason for that. Brady played till 45, Rodgers is not Brady.

Rodgers sucks in the playoffs, There is a reason for that. Brady played till 45, Rodgers is not Brady.
Despite the media trying to talk themselves and everyone else into believing Rodgers was the inevitable GOAT. Before him it was Peyton. Now it's Mahomes. The Montana camp finally gave up after SB 53 (and then Brady buried him deeper with SB 55). No one is ever catching Brady, he played exceptionally for so long, and won so much, that it just won't be duplicated ever.

Rodgers says consecutive MVPs gave him confidence to discuss psychedelics.

Aaron Rodgers says consecutive MVP seasons gave him confidence to discuss ayahuasca use
aaron-rodgers.jpg

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back