PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Patriots tried to trade for Aaron Rodgers

You bang the drum for a mythical Rodgers trade for an albeit talented QB, but who is 40, has threatened to retire multiple the last few years even though he's under contract.
He's characterologically disordered. Pathetically it's all for attention.

AND has for close to the last 15 years has gagged in all but ONE season. Has a HORRIBLE record of 4th quarter comebacks. He's more physically talented than Brady, but has the mental toughness of a wet paper towel. In fact he's the antithesis of everything that made Brady the goat And the media has been covering up that ugly truth for over a decade. He's the ultimate stats whore.
All true.

Sure he'll make the Jets better. He'll likely get them to the playoffs.. But the fact is that at some point he'll fade away in a big moment. He's a far better QB (at this point) than Mac Jones, but I wouldn't trust him to lead my team. He's a ME guy. He's already making the Jets all about him AND if something goes wrong this season (injuries, etc) he will bail on them too.
Probably all true.

You said it yourself, he QUIT on the Packers and good fans who have supported him for a long time. You really want a quitter to lead our team, even a talented one.
He quit on Green Bay so that's their problem. Clearly they had more than even of his act. He's the Jets "problem" now but I think he's worth the risk of the downside because the upside is a return to MVP form and a deep playoff run. I think Rodgers would have worked in New England with Belichick for a couple of seasons, which pretty much gets Belichick to the finish line where possibly he can go out with a contending team. I don't like Rodgers, and it's no secret I'm not at all in the IBWT camp, however they're probably a good fit for the end of their careers. So yes, I would have wanted to see it happen. Although, I would have gone after Lamar first (and murdered anyone who stood in the way of it happening). Alternatively, I also would have taken a look at Carr and even Garoppolo. I'll give Belichick a chance with Mac Jones but only if he lands Hopkins and the defense is solidly top 10 (so better than last season)... otherwise I see more 8-win seasons upcoming.

He's had more talented teams offensively in Green Bay, but found ways to come up short. Granted, McCarthy was known as being pretty limited as a game manager and with X's and O's as Greg Jennings had said an opposing team (I think 49ers) asked him why they keep running the same plays? The defense was also bad for most of Rodgers time in Green Bay, but they still had plenty of opportunities to win more games.

I don't know what his record is now, but he was known as being historically bad when trailing in the 4th Q. It was like 0-40 at some point or something like that. I remember first hearing it from Colin Cowherd a few years ago.

There's no way him and Bill would work as Aaron is known to disrespect his Coach in front of the team.

A-a-ron & his HC/Play-caller lost the 2014 NFCCG All By Themselves too. Don't care about his ankle injury; that had Nothing to do with why they lost...

I think the guy in KC would have something to add...
Maybe. We will see. Everyone was ready to crown Ben Roethlisberger after a couple rings. While he had an excellent career, he's not GOATish.

Maybe. We will see. Everyone was ready to crown Ben Roethlisberger after a couple rings. While he had an excellent career, he's not GOATish.
Roethlisberger your right great career, don't get me wrong no one will ever surpass the GOAT I can confidently say.. simply because I don't believe Allen, burrow or Mahomes will have the longevity of the GOAT.

Roethlisberger your right great career, don't get me wrong no one will ever surpass the GOAT I can confidently say.. simply because I don't believe Allen, burrow or Mahomes will have the longevity of the GOAT.
I think eventually, someone will eclipse Tom. All records fall. I don't think it'll be anytime soon. The man played in the super Bowl 50% of his career. That's nuts.

I think eventually, someone will eclipse Tom. All records fall. I don't think it'll be anytime soon. The man played in the super Bowl 50% of his career. That's nuts.
Just simply amazing, 20 seasons is a lifetime to play in any sport.. I don't know that a player will play that length of time at the QB position to be able too achieve the greatness of GOAT. Players today are making so much more and have so many other income streams once they make a name for themselves with endorsements ect. That hey..10 ,12 years they hang it up.

Just simply amazing, 20 seasons is a lifetime to play in any sport.. I don't know that a player will play that length of time at the QB position to be able too achieve the greatness of GOAT. Players today are making so much more and have so many other income streams once they make a name for themselves with endorsements ect. That hey..10 ,12 years they hang it up.
Right, and you might see someone come in and put up a 6-7 super bowl appearances, 10 year career, 4-5 wins, and make a case for himself that way. Higher SB win % or something. Who knows, right?

Right, and you might see someone come in and put up a 6-7 super bowl appearances, 10 year career, 4-5 wins, and make a case for himself that way. Higher SB win % or something. Who knows, right?
Agreed! Mahomes we all know right now best QB in the league.. but KC will have to build up the offense again around him so they can sustain the success. Burrow has the best WR corps in the league.. but who knows perennial if he will be in AFCCGs each year. Lamar has to get deeper in the playoffs first.. but yeah as you said who knows!!

Agreed! Mahomes we all know right now best QB in the league.. but KC will have to build up the offense again around him so they can sustain the success. Burrow has the best WR corps in the league.. but who knows perennial if he will be in AFCCGs each year. Lamar has to get deeper in the playoffs first.. but yeah as you said who knows!!
Mahomes and Burrow is this generation's Brady/Manning.

KC vs Cincy is my AFCCG pick.

Agreed, Mahomes offense last season looked more like the patriots offense during the early championship years.. Burrows is reminiscent of Mannings offense... 4 more rings between the 2 to match the goat!

If Mahomes is going to challenge Brady's 7 rings then he needs to win 2 or 3 more before Kelce falls off the cliff and Reid retires... so 2 or 3 in the next 5 seasons (at most). Ultimately I don't think Mahomes or anyone else (currently) gets to 7 because there's just too much quarterback competition projected for the next decade: Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Herbert, Jackson, Watson, and Lawrence in the AFC alone. Rodgers could makes some noise with NYJ for a couple of seasons. Sean Payton may get Wilson back on track. I like what Pittsburgh is building around Pickett (who played better than his numbers last season). Hell, Garoppolo is a very good quarterback if he can stay healthy (which he can't and McDaniels would screw it up anyway). Then there's Hurts and Fields (big season coming) in the NFC. With so many ring-capable QBs in the league (AFC alone) at once, I don't see more than 2 rings for any one QB over the next decade.

He quit on Green Bay so that's their problem. Clearly they had more than even of his act. He's the Jets "problem" now but I think he's worth the risk of the downside because the upside is a return to MVP form and a deep playoff run. I think Rodgers would have worked in New England with Belichick for a couple of seasons, which pretty much gets Belichick to the finish line where possibly he can go out with a contending team. I don't like Rodgers, and it's no secret I'm not at all in the IBWT camp, however they're probably a good fit for the end of their careers. So yes, I would have wanted to see it happen. Although, I would have gone after Lamar first (and murdered anyone who stood in the way of it happening). Alternatively, I also would have taken a look at Carr and even Garoppolo. I'll give Belichick a chance with Mac Jones but only if he lands Hopkins and the defense is solidly top 10 (so better than last season)... otherwise I see more 8-win seasons upcoming.
For the Jets he's the perfect fit. They have a good roster on both sides of the ball and no QB. However the cap will make their window pretty short, especially when all the dead Rodgers money starts to hit and they have to start to sign some of their good young players. I'd give it 2 years at the most (assuming Rodgers stays that long.)

Would Rodgers have worked here? There we disagree. Of COURSE he'd be the better short term QB even at 42. But where we really disagree is would Bill have selfishly mortgage the long term success of the team with that Rodgers' contract just to win a few more games than Shula. I don't believe THAT for a second. In all this time in NE, has Bill EVER made it all about him. Whenever Bill does leave, he will want to leave the team better than he found it. If he falls short of Shula he will be disappointed I guess, but but it won't make him miss a minute of sleep. Shula on the other hand would make this deal in a nanosecond and STILL not get it done. Shula had the best QB in the league for over a decade and had just ONE appearance in a superbowl, and that IIRC was in Marino's first or 2nd year. **** him. But my disdain for Shula makes it more likely that I want Bill to go by him, than he does.

Getting back to the point, in this age of cap manipulation it STILL exists and CAN affects rosters.and the adage that "every dollar you give player A there is one less dollar for everyone else." still holds. So sure we could figure out how we can add Rodgers' $110 Million 2 year contract (he will have a $107MM cap hit next year) but at what cost. How many good players would we have to let go over those 2 years to make that happen. THAT is why the Pats would never be in the picture for this kind of trade REGARDLESS of Rodgers' talent.

As for the others. Jimmy is EXACTLY the guy who WOULD make the most sense. He has a great winning percentage in game that he PLAYS. And that is the rub. You cannot count on him. It is a real shame. He was a great pick at the time and if Brady had aged like 99% of NFL QB's he's still be here entering his 5th year as our starter. But while Jimmy was very good, Brady was the GOAT and continued to BE the goat. BB plays the best guy and Brady WAS the best guy and Jimmy was gone for a top 40 pick before he walked for nothing.

I STILL don't see Lamar. Love the talent, but I want to see it produce more than ONE playoff win before I buy in. Great talent, LOVE watching him, but is it sustainable. It certainly HASN'T been in Baltimore. Carr??? Carr has the talent, but is he mentally tough enough to consistently win? He hasn't so far and he's been around for almost a decade. So that's a no imo.

I'll be happy if we get Hopkins, though I still don't see how it makes us THAT much better. I'd also be happy with Cook at a third the Price. Either would make the offense better. Simply put Hopkins would make it more effective, Cooks would make it more explosive. What I will find interesting is what this team looks like with next year with all that cap space. Regardless of the record, 4 wins or 12, imo this is the year where you find out where the needs of your team lies, and the next 2 years are when you fill them because you CAN.

Last edited:

I agree. What makes Mahomes so great is, he makes others great. He can win a championship without great receivers (like last year). Granted, he’s always had Kelce, who is probably more like a receiver than a TE, but whatever way you want to look at Kelce, he’s great. Productive EVERY year.

Burrow had great receivers even before he had Chase. Higgens and Boyd each had over 800 yards receiving in Burrow’s rookie season.

It’s so nice to see good young QBs have talent to support them. I think Gesicki and Smith-Schuster are going to help Mac Jones a lot.

I would have gone after Lamar first (and murdered anyone who stood in the way of it happening). Alternatively, I also would have taken a look at Carr and even Garoppolo. I'll give Belichick a chance with Mac Jones but only if he lands Hopkins and the defense is solidly top 10 (so better than last season)... otherwise I see more 8-win seasons upcoming.

155732526-funny-clown-acting-silly-isolated-on-white-background.jpg

Bill Belichick is maybe just sending out rumors to spark Mac Jones to wake up or Bill is still not happy with Mac Jones as the starting QB. I have always thought Mac Jones was a weak link in the offense. They treated him like a baby in his rookie year. Last year he was a out of controlled mess. This is year 3 or if you was to give him a redo year 2 and they still have to treat him like a baby. Get a new starting QB. We have a chance with the best defense. Let's not let Mac Jones screw it up again.

Not sure if that would be an upgrade. I respect Roger and his talent but he doesn't fit the patriots way.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back