PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor Revis to be cut?

Status
Not open for further replies.
If it's all about the money (like it has always been), then he'll just retire. The $6 million guaranteed next season has offset language and he's not going to be worth that much from a new team, so he has to decide if he wants to make his $6 million by playing football or by sitting at home.

Financially, I think it only makes sense for him to keep playing if he thinks his potential 2018 pay would be worthwhile, and it certainly doesn't look like it would be.

So the Jet's choice is a $6M cap hit in 2017 if they cut him at the end of the year or paying him $17M to play free safety next year? Even the Jets aren't that dumb. I assume he's gone.

Last edited:
Looks like we did win the Revis raffle...Wish we could dig up the crying and *****ing we put up with when he left...Lots of embarrassed posters......

Looks like we did win the Revis raffle...Wish we could dig up the crying and *****ing we put up with when he left...Lots of embarrassed posters......
I disagree. He still looked like the best CB in the game at the time. And let's not pretend the Pats didn't want to retain him. They absolutely did, but they were outbid by a moronic organization (thank goodness). Even someone who thought he would decline because of age, obviously, could not have predicted this type of precipitous decline.

as of today, the Jets are already over the cap for next year by @ $500,000 compared to the Pats who are 63 million under it.

However, the Jets can create 25 million dollars with of cap space (with no dead money hits) by cutting Mangold, Richardson, and Marshall.

Plus another @7 million in cap space by cutting Revis.

They really should have moved both Richardson and Marshall at the trading deadline, at least get something in return for them.

Just wondering how much it would cost for the Pats to sign Mangold, Richardson, and Marshall next year. . . :D

I do not want Revis now.
I do not want him with a plow
I do not him at C-B
I do not want him where I can see
I do not want him at safety
I do not want him with a "maybe"
I do not want him at the minimum
I do not want him in continuum

Please make Revis to go away
Never to come to Foxboro on Sunday.

Last edited:

The NFL* still screwed over the Pats and threw the Rats a bone with how they failed to punish the Rats for blatant tampering.

The fact that it has turned into a bad deal for the Rats doesn't change that.

The NFL* still screwed over the Pats and threw the Rats a bone with how they failed to punish the Rats for blatant tampering.

The fact that it has turned into a bad deal for the Rats doesn't change that.

No - it's just a microcosm of everything the NYJFL has done since Belichick burned them. They are like Wylie Coyote, comically blowing themselves up time after time in trying to foil the Pats.

I disagree. He still looked like the best CB in the game at the time. And let's not pretend the Pats didn't want to retain him. They absolutely did, but they were outbid by a moronic organization (thank goodness). Even someone who thought he would decline because of age, obviously, could not have predicted this type of precipitous decline.
OMG stop it. You're killing me. LOL

If Regis lost some weight he'd be elite again lol obviously we should take him for low dollars

And lots of embarrassing Boston sports talk mediots who don't give a damn about embarrassing themselves to get ratings.

That idea made sense when people were only worried about declining athleticism, but now Revis' willingness to tackle seems to have sharply declined as well.

He could be a fantastic safety if he wanted to. I just dont like the idea of having him out there with McCourtey

He wasn't even the best CB in 2014. He was very good, mostly in the regular season, but lets not overrated him.

He wasn't even the best CB in 2014. He was very good, mostly in the regular season, but lets not overrated him.

I remember him erasing just about everybody. Jordy burned him on one play. Steve smith was erased from quarter 2 on. Doug Baldwin caught a TD because revis got picked by the referee

as of today, the Jets are already over the cap for next year by @ $500,000 compared to the Pats who are 63 million under it.

However, the Jets can create 25 million dollars with of cap space (with no dead money hits) by cutting Mangold, Richardson, and Marshall.

Plus another @7 million in cap space by cutting Revis.

They really should have moved both Richardson and Marshall at the trading deadline, at least get something in return for them.
nobody ever said the Jets were a smart organization.

He's rumored to be cut like now or at the end of the season?

I don't see the Jets humiliating a long standing, well respected player in their organization with a mid season cut for a team that will continue to lose with or without him.

I imagine that this is after the season. I'm not sure Revis would have enough pride to sign with anyone for low money to be a fourth or fifth DB (which is what he'd be on the Pats).

From a cap perspective, doesn't really make sense to cut him now, but makes a lot of sense to cut him this offseason. I'd assume that's what the Jets are exploring, and considering that they can save ~$9M against the cap by doing it it's probably a no-brainer if they don't expect him to get a whole lot better.

That idea made sense when people were only worried about declining athleticism, but now Revis' willingness to tackle seems to have sharply declined as well.

Agreed, and also because Revis' strength--at least when he was good--was that he could stick to his man, basically run his route for him, and win at the LOS. None of those skills directly translate to safety on a regular basis. In general, the corner-to-safety transition works best with corners whose strength has always been playing zone, facing and reading the QB, then coming up and making plays in front of him by way of strong tackling and/or getting good jumps on the ball. A corner who once excelled at that may be able to extend his career by moving to safety - McCourty was like that, and on a side note I could see Logan Ryan fitting the bill too.

For a CB who excelled mostly in man--and particularly in press--coverage, it's certainly possible that he could become a good safety if he's versatile enough, but I don't see any reason to assume that he wouldbe a good one since most of the skills that set him apart don't translate over.

Came into camp out of shape
Didn't work as hard as he used to
It reaping the benefits on the field

Recently, Revis has come out and admitted that he wasn’t in the best of shape to start the season.

“I was a little banged up with the wrist surgery, and then coming into the season, I had a little bit of a weight problem,” Revis said on Inside the Jets via All22.com. “I was trying to get my weight down, and then the first couple games went by so fast, I couldn’t really get in my rhythm. Then the hamstring came.”

New York Jets: Darrelle Revis Admits to Being Out of Shape

Jets cornerback Darrelle Revis had another rough day Sunday, giving up two touchdowns in a 22-17 loss to the Patriots.

On Monday, New England quarterback Tom Brady suggested Revis may be injured.

“I know he’s not feeling great,” Brady said Monday on WEEI radio in Boston. “I could see out there. He winced out there a few times, kind of getting up. It looked like his leg was bothering him a little bit, but he was still very close on a lot of those plays. Even though you’re hitting them, he’s very competitive.”
Brady: I could see in Darrelle Revis’ face (and leg) what was wrong | New York Post

If the Jets cut him, and he decides not to retire afterwards, some team will get a better Revis next season.

All this revis declining talk has really increased my respect for Champ "was-a-touchback" Bailey.

I remember Bailey talking about how he learned from Darrell Green(I think?) on how to take care of his body to play for a long time.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
Back