PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Patriots in the mix for Vincent Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
If Jackson isn't demanding huge money (his agents denied an initial report of 5/50 with $30 million bonus), this is not totally crazy. I remember reading an article last season, before Jackson became a RFA. It mentioned that the Patriots front office absolutely loves him. The Chargers are apparently asking for a 2nd round pick. The pick that the Pats are getting from Carolina looks like it's going to be in the 33-37 range. I think that the Pats would be more than willing to give up their own 2nd round pick, a la Welker, for him, unless they think that he is a total head case. This guy is a beast on the field. Not sure what this would mean for Moss but....

If Jackson isn't demanding huge money (his agents denied an initial report of 5/50 with $30 million bonus), this is not totally crazy. I remember reading an article last season, before Jackson became a RFA. It mentioned that the Patriots front office absolutely loves him. The Chargers are apparently asking for a 2nd round pick. The pick that the Pats are getting from Carolina looks like it's going to be in the 33-37 range. I think that the Pats would be more than willing to give up their own 2nd round pick, a la Welker, for him, unless they think that he is a total head case. This guy is a beast on the field. Not sure what this would mean for Moss but....

If we are taking this twitter guy's word, the Chargers want a first, second, and conditional third. When you consider the Pats are conference rivals, it could cost them two firsts.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but we haven't had a running game since 2004, haven't stopped the run or had a pass rush since 2007, and our secondary just got torched by Mark Sanchez. As someone mentioned, why have a $18M quarterback if you need a pro bowl squad around him to win games?

Last edited:
I'm slowly coming around to seeing why you're generally disliked on this board. You've been nothing but dismissive of opinions which conflict with your own regarding the Mankins situation.

I thought you were perceptive enough to realize that "not having a deal" doesn't mean a deal wasn't tabled. Kraft intimated the offer to Mankins was of a similar nature to Mangold. Taken at his word, that reads that the Patriots were more than willing to pay their good little guard.

As for Jackson, perhaps you'd like to reference other "problem children" the Patriots have head business dealings with?

Stop pretending that you don't attack posters with your condescending and dismissive nature. It's unbecoming.

What the heck are you talking about?

1.) I did not attack any poster in this thread. I pointed that out in response to YOUR words:

I thought your mode of attacking other posters surrounded not knowing the finite details of the negotiation.

2.) I quoted Kraft's statement that the Patriots had offered Mankins a deal. The contract offered to Mankins wasn't accepted. Therefore, and obviously, the Patriots have not met Mankins "price", whatever it is. Had they done so, Mankins would be signed, if Kraft is to be believed, since the public apology was supposedly not a part of the deal.

3.) Jackson is in the same position as Mankins, in that he's refused to sign his tender. However, Jackson, unlike Mankins, is a problem child to the NFL. He's got a 3 game suspension, which also means he's at risk of much more should he have another incident. Noting that he is, in fact, a problem child, seems appropriate to me. Other players are not in the same position and, as a result, are not really germane to the discussion, IMO.

Last edited:
What about Moss for Jackson?

Don't kill me. I'm just curious about your thoughts about this.

What the heck are you talking about?

1.) I did not attack any poster in this thread. I pointed that out in response to YOUR words:

2.) I quoted Kraft's statement that the Patriots had offered Mankins a deal. The contract offered to Mankins wasn't accepted. Therefore, and obviously, the Patriots have not met Mankins "price", whatever it is. Had they done so, Mankins would be signed, if Kraft is to be believed, since the public apology was supposedly not a part of the deal.

3.) Jackson is in the same position as Mankins, in that he's refused to sign his tender. However, Jackson, unlike Mankins, is a problem child to the NFL. He's got a 3 game suspension, which also means he's at risk of much more should he have another incident. Noting that he is, in fact, a problem child, seems appropriate to me. Other players are not in the same position and, as a result, are not really germane to the discussion, IMO.
Seeing as though you flatly disregarded what I've typed without bothering to read my post properly I've come to the conclusion that you're an attention seeker and nothing more.

Last edited:
What about Moss for Jackson?

Don't kill me. I'm just curious about your thoughts about this.

Makes no sense for SD. They're getting a guy who's nearing the twilight of his career, wants a big contract (although he'd probably settle for 2-3 years unlike Jackson), and might not make a big impact in their system on a one-year rental contract. Jackson will be a long-term player, which is why they'll want draft picks to build for the future.

Last edited:
Makes no sense for SD. They're getting a guy who's nearing the twilight of his career, wants a big contract (although he'd probably settle for 2-3 years unlike Jackson), and might not make a big impact in their system on a one-year rental contract. Jackson will be a long-term player, which is why they'll want draft picks to build for the future.

But wouldn't SD consider my feelings?

J/k, I hear you. I was thinking Moss and a 2nd or 3rd. Maybe that's nuts.

If we are taking this twitter guy's word, the Chargers want a first, second, and conditional third. When you consider the Pats are conference rivals, it could cost them two firsts.

Not sure if anyone noticed, but we haven't had a running game since 2004, haven't stopped the run or had a pass rush since 2007, and our secondary just got torched by Mark Sanchez. As someone mentioned, why have a $18M quarterback if you need a pro bowl squad around him to win games?

Most of the articles I've read seem to indicate that the Charger's (and Jackson's) asking price seems to have come down.

Second round pick would be enough to score Vincent Jackson | ProFootballTalk.com

Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribune writes that the Chargers are believed to be asking for a second-round pick in exchange for Jackson. That price reportedly wouldn't be an issue for Seattle.

Vincent Jackson's Future Could be Determined Thursday -- NFL FanHouse

The Vikings, Cardinals, Redskins and Seahawks have reportedly shown interest in Jackson. The Chargers reportedly had been seeking at least a first-round pick for the 27-year-old Jackson, but have since reportedly lowered their asking price.

Would you give up the 2nd from Carolina for him? Given Butler's performance today, the Pats are going nowhere this year without a legit CB opposite McCourty. If I can see that, you can be sure that BB does too.

1. Pats trade for Jackson, giving them their longterm replacement for Moss as a deep/red zone threat.
2. Pats trade Moss (knowing that this is his last year here) for CB help.
3. Pats coast to SB win, allowing me to finally change my username.

At the very least, this gives us something to think about other than that pathetic 2nd half performance.

Last edited:
But wouldn't SD consider my feelings?

J/k, I hear you. I was thinking Moss and a 2nd or 3rd. Maybe that's nuts.

Not to mention the potentially nasty locker room dynamic if hypothetically they gave up a 1st straight up to get V-Jax and kept Moss around. Pretty sure Randy would take that as a slap.

Seeing as though you flatly disregarded what I've typed without bothering to read my post properly I've come to the conclusion that you're an attention seeker and nothing more.

1.) I didn't disregard what you said. I even broke it down to deal with it in its parts.

2.) You jumped on my post, not the other way around.

Not to mention the potentially nasty locker room dynamic if hypothetically they gave up a 1st straight up to get V-Jax and kept Moss around. Pretty sure Randy would take that as a slap.

Yep, you and PatJew are correct, at least the way I see it. If the Pats were to get Jackson, I think that would be the end of Randy Moss in NE. Could be the Pats interest increased when Moss ranted about his contract after a win. Could also be that Brady is forcing the ball in there to keep Randy happy at the detriment of the team.

Personally, I would love to see them sign Moss to a 2 year extension, but it looks like that won't happen. Moss has great field instincts and hands, and I think even with less speed he would be a very good WR. Too much is being made about today's game... Moss is an enormous asset to this team. They haven't won a SB with him because (a) Brady's only played two years with him, (b) they choked in '07, and (c) no doubt Moss wins all those SBs from 01-04 with that defense and coaching. It seems like people are starting to make a scapegoat out of Moss... very unfair in my opinion. The defense, lack of running game, and coaching has declined, while the passing game is first class.

Anyway, the league has seen lots of Vincent Jacksons. He has a lot of talent, but I don't want to see them locked in for five years for Braylon Edwards production. Other names that come to mind are Javon Walker and TJ Houshmanzadeh. I don't know... something about WRs getting a big payday with a new team that concerns me.

Yup, that's the most likely outcome. Maybe there's a 5% chance that it would motivate him to show everyone who the man really is, not to mention he'd know he'd be playing for his next contract elsewhere.

Vincent Jackson better than Moss? That's hilarious.

I highly doubt the Patriots are interested. If they were willing to give up a draft pick in the first 3 rounds for help this year, it would be for a defensive player.

Seems like a pretty dubious source but it would be a fairly random thing to completely make up on a Sunday night, considering the Pats depth at WR and the fact that they haven't been mentioned in any Jackson rumors thus far. On the other hand, I have no idea why this guy would have any legit NEP or SD sources.

too many other needs.

Butler needs protection at the minute.

NE need to get another experienced corner in there. Not another weapon for Tom.

I really can't see this happening, he would definitely be nice to have though. Is he the only one reporting the rumor? Just kills me to watch Darius Butler out there when it could of been Leigh Bodden.....nobody is even throwing at McCourty. Not too get too off topic but what was the deal with the Garrett Mills situation and Brad Childress?

Last edited:
1.) I didn't disregard what you said. I even broke it down to deal with it in its parts.

2.) You jumped on my post, not the other way around.
Reading comprehension is obviously a problem for you then, or just plain old ignorance. Had you read it properly, we wouldn't be at the stage where I question your integrity in other threads when dealing with people who don't share the same opinion as you. Naturally, I can assume what the response mechanism is going to be because it's always the same.

Either way, Vincent Jackson to the Patriots or a team grossly overpaying for him is fine with me.

Last edited:
Reading comprehension is obviously a problem for you then, or just plain old ignorance. Had you read it properly, we wouldn't be at the stage where I question your integrity in other threads when dealing with people who don't share the same opinion as you. Naturally, I can assume what the response mechanism is going to be because it's always the same.

Either way, Vincent Jackson to the Patriots or a team grossly overpaying for him is fine with me.

Slightly off-topic- let me know if you have any suggestions for a two week camper van trip on the south island of New Zealand.

Slightly off-topic- let me know if you have any suggestions for a two week camper van trip on the south island of New Zealand.
NZ is a quaint little country. Make sure you pack some warm clothing as the South Island is pretty darn cold!

make it 3 or 4 weeks.

Forget the camper. Hire a car. Accomodation is real cheap in the south island.
Don't go Next september Rugby world cup.

Do see
Arthurs pass.
Kaikura (the old school house B&B is my fav accomdation in the world)
Wanaka, Queenstown, Doubtful and Milford sound.

Don't see.
Christchurch. Even before the earthquake it had nothing going for it.

PM me if you need any more information.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Back