PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Patriots in the mix for Vincent Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Does he come with an Offensive Coordinator?

Besides, this guys' strength is going downfield and running under a long pass. That's not precisely Brady's strength. How good is Jackson going after an underthrown long balls?

Success in this league is all about picking up the best players at each position you can afford. The tough part is deciding how to allocate your limited resources at each position.

If the Patriots value the wide receiver position at value x, and they rate Jackson as the highest rated wide receiver on their board, and they can get him for an affordable price they should do it.

The draft is a crap shoot, the patriots have succeeded in large part based on the free agent pickups they have made, combined with the draft to fill in the missing pieces. I always figured this was why BB was never afraid to trade draft picks for proven, or sometimes unproven free agents. In hind sight, who wouldn't have traded a 4th for Moss, or a 2nd for Welker? Don't fall in love with the picks, fall in love with the players.

If a second gives you the best wide receiver in the game, or a rookie wide receiver with a 90% chance of making the team, a 50% chance of starting at some point in his career, a 25% chance of making an immediate impact, and a 2% chance of ever being as good as Vincent Jackson, which should you do?

It always seems strange how differently football and baseball work, if the Red Sox were thinking of bringing in the best Left fielder in the game while giving up a single a player, who would be complaining, but lord help us if the Patriots even think about trading one of those draft picks, which they have a boat load next year for one of the best wide receivers in the game.

That all being said, I'm not sure if the Pats want Jackson, and if they are willing to go after him, but if they do, I certainly won't blame them

Last edited:
I'm slowly coming around to seeing why you're generally disliked on this board. I don't want to agree with these people as it's obvious you're an intellectual with the ability to articulate relevant and thought provoking commentary, but I'm beginning to understand. You've been nothing but dismissive or combative to opinions that conflict with your own regarding the Mankins situation.

I thought you were perceptive enough to realize that "not having a deal" doesn't mean a deal wasn't tabled. Kraft intimated the offer to Mankins was of a similar nature to Mangold. Taken at his word, that reads that the Patriots were more than willing to pay their good little guard.

Deus was plenty perceptive. You seem to be mis-reading what Deus said because he didn't say that the Pats weren't willing to pay. He said that they hadn't met Mankins asking price. You don't seem to understand the difference there.

As for Jackson, perhaps you'd like to reference other "problem children" the Patriots have head business dealings with?

Stop pretending that you don't attack posters with your condescending and dismissive nature. It's unbecoming.

The other "problem children" that the Pats have dealt with are Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. Neither of whom had drug/alcohol related suspensions in the NFL prior to going to the Pats.

too many other needs.

Butler needs protection at the minute.

NE need to get another experienced corner in there. Not another weapon for Tom.

Ellis Hobbs had a great interception this sunday against Detroit. :D

Deus was plenty perceptive. You seem to be mis-reading what Deus said because he didn't say that the Pats weren't willing to pay. He said that they hadn't met Mankins asking price. You don't seem to understand the difference there.

The other "problem children" that the Pats have dealt with are Randy Moss and Corey Dillon. Neither of whom had drug/alcohol related suspensions in the NFL prior to going to the Pats.

Well, Moss did have that "run in" with the female traffic cop, and if I recall there was some remnants in the ash tray. I thought he was suspended then, but the league was a different place back then.

Seeing as though you flatly disregarded what I've typed without bothering to read my post properly I've come to the conclusion that you're an attention seeker and nothing more.

You seem to be the one ignoring what Deus is saying, not him ignoring you.

I read your post and you are the one attacking him for things that didn't happen.

What you seem to not understand is that being skeptical is not being dismissive.

What you also fail to understand is that Deus addressed you directly and all you did was repeat yourself and bring up a point that Deus actually made himself. Yet you are the one "attacking" him for being dismissive and condescending when he's done neither in this thread.

Does he come with an Offensive Coordinator?

I always said the same, the execution is there, but the creativity is lacking. We need more schemes, and innovate our offense.

Success in this league is all about picking up the best players at each position you can afford. The tough part is deciding how to allocate your limited resources at each position.

If the Patriots value the wide receiver position at value x, and they rate Jackson as the highest rated wide receiver on their board, and they can get him for an affordable price they should do it.

The draft is a crap shoot, the patriots have succeeded in large part based on the free agent pickups they have made, combined with the draft to fill in the missing pieces. I always figured this was why BB was never afraid to trade draft picks for proven, or sometimes unproven free agents. In hind sight, who wouldn't have traded a 4th for Moss, or a 2nd for Welker? Don't fall in love with the picks, fall in love with the players.

If a second gives you the best wide receiver in the game, or a rookie wide receiver with a 90% chance of making the team, a 50% chance of starting at some point in his career, a 25% chance of making an immediate impact, and a 2% chance of ever being as good as Vincent Jackson, which should you do?

It always seems strange how differently football and baseball work, if the Red Sox were thinking of bringing in the best Left fielder in the game while giving up a single a player, who would be complaining, but lord help us if the Patriots even think about trading one of those draft picks, which they have a boat load next year for one of the best wide receivers in the game.

That all being said, I'm not sure if the Pats want Jackson, and if they are willing to go after him, but if they do, I certainly won't blame them

I think the real benefit of getting Jackson will be that it will continue to give them a great WR for years to come, given that they're sheepish about giving Moss a new deal at his age. Yeah, it would be great to trot out there a set of Moss, VJax, Welker, and Hernandez (yikes) for this year, but the real value is long-term.

That said, if Peyton Manning had those four receivers, wouldn't he throw for like 400 yards and 4 td a game?

I'll check in with you at midseason Rob and we can compare Tate and Bryant at that point, how does that sound?

It sounds like a longterm strawman argument.

Years from now, Bryant versus McCourty.

Not a 1st rounder versus a 3rd rounder.

Can he rush the passer?

(someone had to say it)

He is a heck of a receiver. I find it too good to be true, but I'll silently hold out hope.

Screw that, can he play corner?!

You seem to be the one ignoring what Deus is saying, not him ignoring you.

I read your post and you are the one attacking him for things that didn't happen.

What you seem to not understand is that being skeptical is not being dismissive.

What you also fail to understand is that Deus addressed you directly and all you did was repeat yourself and bring up a point that Deus actually made himself. Yet you are the one "attacking" him for being dismissive and condescending when he's done neither in this thread.
You've not bothered to read my initial comment to Deus Irae properly either. I'm noticing a theme developing here. Birds of a feather.

Last edited:
I always said the same, the execution is there, but the creativity is lacking. We need more schemes, and innovate our offense.

Hell Ray Lewis could be our OC. He knew every play in that playoff game. Cmon Bill O'Brien get to work. Let's see some Edelmen reverse passes.

Well, Moss did have that "run in" with the female traffic cop, and if I recall there was some remnants in the ash tray. I thought he was suspended then, but the league was a different place back then.

Moss was not suspended for that incident. And while there was less than a gram found in his ashtray, it wasn't proven that he was the one smoking it. Also, Moss has not failed an NFL Drug test since 2001.

Getting Vincent Jackson would be nice but doesn't solve some of our pass rushing challenges.

I'd rather have this guy....
mmqb.raider.corner.si.jpg

Now you are using your head Cousin. In a perfect world Asamugha and a pick because of the contract.....but there is his stupid contract.
Someone mentioned Cowboys but Kosier is back so perhaps not a need.
Like to get Osi from the Giants.
Wonder if SD would trade their headache for ours?

Why not go for VJ? You cannot have too much talent. Resign Moss and you can forget the run because it is a waste of time in N.E. anyway. Spread five (or four and a TE) ...Moss Welker, VJ and Tate (with Edelman rotating) and have a TE rotation.
DW Toys

if you can get VJ to get into AA, you'll be getting a damn good wr, if this rumor is true

don't know how that's going to help your defense, but you'll be able to put up 2007 type pats passing offense numbers

i just hope sd gets something good for him

This incareceratedboob guy is a joke people. He always posts "scoop" and has been right once. My guess is that he's some loser living in his momma's basement in Queens somewhere.

Now you are using your head Cousin. In a perfect world Asamugha and a pick because of the contract.....but there is his stupid contract.
Someone mentioned Cowboys but Kosier is back so perhaps not a need.
Like to get Osi from the Giants.
Wonder if SD would trade their headache for ours?

Why not go for VJ? You cannot have too much talent. Resign Moss and you can forget the run because it is a waste of time in N.E. anyway. Spread five (or four and a TE) ...Moss Welker, VJ and Tate (with Edelman rotating) and have a TE rotation.
DW Toys

I concur, second cousin once-removed.

If I had to guess - this "rumor" started when D&C were joking about the possibility with Adam Schefter on EEI. I honestly don't think there is anything to it other than that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe