PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rumor: Patriots in the mix for Vincent Jackson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Agreed.

If Moss is not extended, I don't like the quality of our receiver corps at all in 2011. We'd be sort of forced to franchise Moss.

Do I even have to say it?

I mean, I like Tate and WW2 as much as anyone does, but yowsah!

Great, another reason to over-rely on the spread and shotgun, and telegraph plays. Just what we need...NOT!

I dont think we need him. After seeing this game, the problem is not targets for Brady. It's blocking, running, corners, OLB's, pass rush, coverage, field goal kicking......

Sh*t! That's a lot of problems...

Agreed.

If Moss is not extended, I don't like the quality of our receiver corps at all in 2011. We'd be sort of forced to franchise Moss.

How many rings did the Pats get with second-tier wrs? Brown, Patten, Branch, Givens, etc.

How many have they gotten with Moss?

I don't mean to dog Moss. I like him and I wouldn't object to extending him. But we've won without Moss before, we can do it again. It just takes a Brady that goes back to finding the open receiver, and a OC who uses the shotgun/spread offense only when it makes sense (i.e. when you don't mind telling the opponent what you're doing/obvious passing downs).

Last edited:
How many rings did the Pats get with second-tier wrs? Brown, Patten, Branch, Givens, etc.

How many have they gotten with Moss?

I don't mean to dog Moss. I like him and I wouldn't object to extending him. But we've won without Moss before, we can do it again. It just takes a Brady that goes back to finding the open receiver, and a OC who uses the shotgun/spread offense only when it makes sense (i.e. when you don't mind telling the opponent what you're doing/obvious passing downs).

If this team's offense was playing with the 2003-2004 defense, Moss would have won Super Bowls in 2007 and 2009, and the team would be prohibitive favorites to win it again this season.

If this team's offense was playing with the 2003-2004 defense, Moss would have won Super Bowls in 2007 and 2009, and the team would be prohibitive favorites to win it again this season.

Probably right. It would have been 14-6 yesterday.

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts it would be Christmas everyday

IF we had hit on even a few draft picks in 2006-2007 besides Meriweather who has been erratic, we would have had a decent defense,those years of failures in the draft made this defense as weak as it is today - 2006 brought us Welker and Moss but little to NO defensive help and it shows today.

Didn't we win 3 SBs with far less receiving talent than we have now? Guess the defense and run game mattered that much.

The NFL has changed my friend.

we picked up blitzes pretty well yesterday and Brady had all day to throw a few times, there was just nobody open.

Dont want another diva wr. rather have some gritty guys that dont care about their stats. tired of seeing brady forcing throws to Moss just to keep him happy. Thats not Brady's game. Brady's at his best when he hits the open guy.

Dont want another diva wr. rather have some gritty guys that dont care about their stats. tired of seeing brady forcing throws to Moss just to keep him happy. Thats not Brady's game. Brady's at his best when he hits the open guy.

blame it on Moss:rolleyes:, this is why he said what he said last week.

blame it on Moss:rolleyes:, this is why he said what he said last week.

Not blaming it on Moss. This all on the game plan, but you cant say that Brady doesnt go out of his way to get Moss his catches.

Hmmmmm. Can't we get Branch from Seattle instead?

You're joking right? Branch is a washed up has been. Vincent Jackson can actually stretch defenses and be a legit NFL #1. The Twig was never been more than an overrated #2 WR.
That being said, I wouldn't give up more than a 3rd round pick for VJ because of his contract situation/demands. If I were pushed I might give up one of our multiple 2nd round picks if we got VJ and a 4th in return.
But VJ coming to NE would likely mean that this is Moss' last year here. Still for one season, the Pats would have the best WR corps in the league hands down.

Last edited:
Not blaming it on Moss. This all on the game plan, but you cant say that Brady doesnt go out of his way to get Moss his catches.

No I honestly don't believe it has to do with getting Moss his catches, I believe that Brady trusts Moss to get the ball more often than not and he's not superman. Its not like Welker/Hernandez/Tate are just sitting there wide open, Moss is a physical specimen and when nobody is open, Brady is going to go to Moss because he's bigger than most corners and it doesn't require Brady to make a perfect throw.

No I honestly don't believe it has to do with getting Moss his catches, I believe that Brady trusts Moss to get the ball more often than not and he's not superman. Its not like Welker/Hernandez/Tate are just sitting there wide open, Moss is a physical specimen and when nobody is open, Brady is going to go to Moss because he's bigger than most corners and it doesn't require Brady to make a perfect throw.

Except when Brady forces throws into Moss that result into two crucial interceptions for the Jets in the second half. There is such a thing as over-reliance. And I blame those picks on Brady not Moss. One was way overthrown by Brady and ended up being intercepted on the 3 yard line. The second one was forced into double coverage then bounced right into the hands of the second jet defender. BTW the jet player completely wrapped his arms around Moss that play so he couldn't corral the ball and imo should have been called for PI but whatever. It was still a bad decision on Brady's part.

Last edited:
Except when Brady forces throws into Moss that result into two crucial interceptions for the Jets in the second half. There is such a thing as over-reliance. And I blame those picks on Brady not Moss. One was way overthrown by Brady and ended up being intercepted on the 3 yard line. The second one was forced into double coverage then bounced right into the hands of the second jet defender. BTW the jet player completely wrapped his arms around Moss that play so he couldn't corral the ball and imo should have been called for PI but whatever. It was still a bad decision on Brady's part.

no doubt that the were ill advised, but the point that I was making was that yes its on Brady and not Moss. Moss isn't yelling at Brady to get him the ball, Brady just trusts Moss more than other receivers. All in all, they have to do a better job of getting separation so Brady isn't in a situation where the pocket can collapse around him at any second and nobody is open. Brady has 3 options at this point, hold on to the ball and hope that somebody gets open before Jason taylor rips around Light and strip sacks him, throw the ball away and take a possible grounding call, or chuck it up to Moss/out of bounds. On a third down Brady decided to take his chances with Moss and it turned out to be a pretty good punt.

Can someone explain to me the Belichick getting back at Brad Childress/Percy Harvin thing that was mentioned before?
Brad Childress was tooting his own horn when he picked Harvin because he believed the Pats were trying to get him.

BTW, trading for Jackson would be stupid for several reasons.

1. WR's aren't the problem, Brady is uncharacteristically locking on certain WR's.
2. Brady is over throwing WR's.
3. Brady is under throwing WR's.
4. Brady is becoming careless with the football.
5. RB is a dire need
6. CB is a dire need

- The Pats should be calling up Carolina and see if they can work out a deal for Williams or Stewart.
- The Pats need to sign Mankins now or trade him. If they don't, Mankins walks and the best the Pats get is a 3rd round comp pick.

Last edited:

Explain to me why the first interception was crucial.

It wasn't.

Explain to me why the first interception was crucial.

It wasn't.

First explain to me why any turnover isn't crucial. It started a pattern of Pats turnovers where Brady forced the ball into Moss for one. That snowballed from there. It also didn't help that the Pats were consistently wasting their 1st downs on utterly predictable running plays that went nowhere.

BTW I just remembered that VJ is suspended for the first four weeks. That means he wouldn't be able to help until week 5. That's gotta knock down his asking price by at least a round. For a 4th, I'd definitely consider taking a chance on VJ. Maybe he can hold it together for a season and long enough to bring home a shiny piece of hardware. That's worth the price of the rental.

We need a 3 way deal, Jackson to NE, Moss to Minn and picks (or Mankins) to SD.

Minnesota only needs a 1 year WR with Rice out. They have Rice, Berrian, Harvin going forward. We need a long term stud with Moss seemingly on his way out. San Diego would get more from a team getting Jackson signed long term.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back