Rumor - Cedric Benson to Patriots?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lloyd_Christmas

I can delete my own crap!
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
NFL Free Agent Rumors

"The latest free agent rumor has the team adding some veteran leadership in their backfield with the attempted signing of veteran running back Cedric Benson from Cincinnati. The former Bengals back is the best option left in free agency and would help the youngsters with the Patriots on and off the field."

Noooooo000

Cedric Benson and leadership in the same sentence? :singing:

Just (do not) Do It, in honor of the new nike gear...

Knock this **** off.

Seriously.

Seriously.

Another stupid rumor. Just like Forte and Samuel coming to the pats.

Last edited:
Yeah. And we should sign Plaxico Burress to help the wide receivers too. Maybe Albert Haynesworth to guide the defensive line and Asante Samuel for the defensive backs. Oh, wait ... :bricks:

What does Incarcerated Boob have to say about this?

IDK, for a value deal, Benson might not be a bad pick up. He has had 3 years in a row of over 1,000 rushing.

Last edited:
Could somebody please compare/contrast him to at least one other bad-guy ex-Bengal running back?

Could somebody please compare/contrast him to at least one other bad-guy ex-Bengal running back?

DUI Dispensing Cedric Benson doesn't have the same ring as Clock Killing Corey Dillon.

Last edited:
NFL Free Agent Rumors

"The latest free agent rumor has the team adding some veteran leadership in their backfield with the attempted signing of veteran running back Cedric Benson from Cincinnati. The former Bengals back is the best option left in free agency and would help the youngsters with the Patriots on and off the field."

There is a big difference between being the most recognized name, and being the best option.

I'm curious where the author came up with this "latest free agent rumor", because this is the first that I have heard of it; a google search doesn't produce much of anything other than this thread and a Bleacher Report article that is based on the theory that since the Bengals signed BJGE, the Pats should therefore sign Benson.

In my opinion Benson is not only not the best option, he probably isn't even in the top ten. The reason given above is laughable; it may be the primary reason as to why the Pats would not be interested in him.

If the Patriots are looking for a veteran running back, they're probably looking for a guy who's going to be ok with a limited role, has a nose for the end zone and first downs on short yardage plays, and can step in as the RB1 in a worst case scenario.

I'm not sure that Benson fits that bill. I'm not positive that such a back is still out there. I'd think Ryan Grant would be a better player to start with, though, as he's already used to the RBBC system.

What does Incarcerated Boob have to say about this?

IDK, for a value deal, Benson might not be a bad pick up. He has had 3 years in a row of over 1,000 rushing.

AND three years in a row of being arrested.

There is a big difference between being the most recognized name, and being the best option.

I'm curious where the author came up with this "latest free agent rumor", because this is the first that I have heard of it; a google search doesn't produce much of anything other than this thread and a Bleacher Report article that is based on the theory that since the Bengals signed BJGE, the Pats should therefore sign Benson.

In my opinion Benson is not only not the best option, he probably isn't even in the top ten. The reason given above is laughable; it may be the primary reason as to why the Pats would not be interested in him.

The leadership part is laughable but the player might make some sense. He would no doubt come cheap, probably a one year contract. They likely feel Ridley and Vereen will need a vet to push them rather handing them the job. If Benson steps out of line or falls too far down the depth chart, they just let him go.

They're not going to go into camp with players who have only 500 combined rushing yards as the only competition for the no 1 RB job. They will bring someone in.

Last edited:
If the Patriots are looking for a veteran running back, they're probably looking for a guy who's going to be ok with a limited role, has a nose for the end zone and first downs on short yardage plays, and can step in as the RB1 in a worst case scenario.

I'm not sure that Benson fits that bill. I'm not positive that such a back is still out there. I'd think Ryan Grant would be a better player to start with, though, as he's already used to the RBBC system.

We got the Fullbacks for that.

AND three years in a row of being arrested.

It was 3 times in four years. I actually guess I didn't realize that he has been arrested that many times. I had to look it up. I guess since he was in the Cincinnati Bengals Correctional Facility I missed the police blotter on him since it seems like they have one every week.

I hate guys like that. So I would pass on him. With more info, I changed my mind.

One major issue is that Benson was upset last year sharing carries with Bernard Scott, clashing with OC Jay Gruden about playing time; how's he going to feel about sharing the ball with Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead?

Cincinnati Bengals’ Cedric Benson Just Punched His Ticket Out | Bengals 101

Benson Showing Signs Of Frustration - Cincy Jungle

I also read somewhere (sorry, couldn't find the link) that he not only wanted to be the feature back, he was looking for a contract that corresponded to that role.

In addition there is this:

His biggest downfall has been his ability to hang onto the ball. In the past two seasons Benson has fumbled the ball (12 times) nearly the same amount of times he has rushed for a touchdown (13 times). Benson has been criticized for his inability to create plays, burst through open lanes, and his inefficient pass-blocking skills.​

Cedric Benson NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

In the last two season Benson has averaged 3.5 yards per carry and 3.9 yards per carry; let's not get carried away with that 1,000 yards rushing stat. He's been overused: 296 touches last year, 349 in 2010, 318 in 2009 and 258 (despite missing four games) in 2008; he'll also be 30 before the season is over. I don't think there's any tread left on those tires; running backs that get used that much tend to drop off dramatically and never recover.

I fully agree that a veteran RB should be brought into camp since Danny Woodhead is now the most experienced RB on the roster; I just don't think Benson is the right fit for multiple reasons.

Last edited:
Benson's not awful, but he's not a good fit for this offense. He got a ton of carries with the Bengals, and had terrible efficiency with them. For what he does, I'd rather that the Pats have just re-signed BJGE, who is a significantly better player than Benson (and I'm not even a huge BJGE fan). Pass.

Last edited:
One major issue is that Benson was upset last year sharing carries with Bernard Scott, clashing with OC Jay Gruden about playing time; how's he going to feel about sharing the ball with Ridley, Vereen and Woodhead?

Cincinnati Bengals’ Cedric Benson Just Punched His Ticket Out | Bengals 101

Benson Showing Signs Of Frustration - Cincy Jungle

I also read somewhere (sorry, couldn't find the link) that he not only wanted to be the feature back, he was looking for a contract that corresponded to that role.

In addition there is this:

His biggest downfall has been his ability to hang onto the ball. In the past two seasons Benson has fumbled the ball (12 times) nearly the same amount of times he has rushed for a touchdown (13 times). Benson has been criticized for his inability to create plays, burst through open lanes, and his inefficient pass-blocking skills.​

Cedric Benson NFL Football Statistics - Pro-Football-Reference.com

In the last two season Benson has averaged 3.5 yards per carry and 3.9 yards per carry; let's not get carried away with that 1,000 yards rushing stat. He's been overused: 296 touches last year, 349 in 2010, 318 in 2009 and 258 (despite missing four games) in 2008; he'll also be 30 before the season is over. I don't think there's any tread left on those tires; running backs that get used that much tend to drop off dramatically and never recover.

I fully agree that a veteran RB should be brought into camp since Danny Woodhead is now the most experienced RB on the roster; I just don't think Benson is the right fit for multiple reasons.

I'm not that high on him either but it seems like the type of signing they could make. Michael Bush would have been a good fit, How about Tim Hightower? I'd be on board with trading for Jonathan Stewart.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe