PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison: Worst secondary in 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brilliant post....we haven't had a GREAT secondary for many years now.....and this one here has to be the worst ever....and the big and fair question is..HOW did BB let it get this bad
AND why the he// did you get rid of merri, sanders, and others and try to replace them with ST and offensive players? Just plain horrible work by BB this year....
Finally crossed over ? This pass defense has been on the dark side since Ty Law left.

You don't have to be an "expert" to see that a defensive backfield playing with street free agents and two special team / wide receivers, out of desperation, is going to look like the Keystone Kops on a regular basis.

I just don't understand how BB has let it get to this point, and wonder how
the "defensive genius " can sleep at night.

The pressure is all on Brady and it's beginning to show. He has to go into every game knowing that he has to put up at least 30 points. I guess that's why he get's the big bucks.

That is my biggest fear regarding the playoffs. What happens when we are down by some two scores and we need the D to actually start getting off the field. Can the D stiffen up when we need it?

The D did tighten in the 4th Quarter before Tom threw the interception in the endzone, then it got real scary for a bit, but at least they're (pretty) good in the red zone.

Look folks... Rex Grossman lit up this defense yesterday, heck, the Colts offense lit them up the week before. I won't be surprised if Tim Tebow looks like Dan Marino throwing the ball against this defense.

So, Harrison is saying we have the worst patriots secondary in 10 years. He did not say the worst secondary or the worst defense.

Your stats show that we don't even have the worst patriots secondary in 10 years. We have the worst in 5 years.

I disagree with Rodney. STATISTICALLY the secondary in 2005 was worse.

-31st in passing yards allowed
-30th is passing yards per play
-27th in QB rating
-31st in 20+ yard gains
-32nd in 40+ yard gains
-26th in INTs
-28th in passing TDs allowed
-32nd in YPC by receivers

Poor pass rush. No Law. 3rd yr starter Asante. Rookie Ellis Hobbs. Atrell Hawkins. Duane Starks cut. Rookie James Sanders. Wilson, Gay and Rodney all IR'd.

At least these kids force turnovers.

I would feel a lot worse about this D if it really were the case that they looked awful 100% of the time.

I would also feel a lot worse if the lockout hadn't completely putzed things up this season.

So, Harrison is saying we have the worst patriots secondary in 10 years. He did not say the worst secondary or the worst defense.

Your stats show that we don't even have the worst patriots secondary in 10 years. We have the worst in 5 years.

Pretty much :D

I think that there is one positive we can take away from our crappy defense. A QB can't really play much better against the Patriots than Rex Grossman, Tyler from KC and Kyle Orton...so,, we should be in good shape....Basically, every QB looks elite against the Patriots...So, they are playing against elite QBs every week and winning.

Last edited:
Look folks... Rex Grossman lit up this defense yesterday, heck, the Colts offense lit them up the week before. I won't be surprised if Tim Tebow looks like Dan Marino throwing the ball against this defense.

Yes, but as long as the result is the same (a W for us), we can't really complain too loudly. The D played decently last week except for falling asleep at the wheel in the 4th. Yesterday was an all around debacle, that luckily didn't cost us. I am more afraid of the Denver D shutting down Brady than I am of Tebow putting up major points (I said points, not yards). We still were able at times to tighten up in the red zone, including the lucky pick by Mayo to end the game.

Isn't this a matter of not trusting our running backs?

A short yardage back is worth a roster spot as one of the FIVE running backs. Brady shouldn't feel it necessary to run so often.

I worry that Brady is going to hang in the pocket in the face of rushing trucks a second or two extra once too often because he feels the need to make it all happen himself.

I think that there is one positive we can take away from our crappy defense. A QB can't really play much better against the Patriots than Rex Grossman, Tyler from KC and Kyle Orton...so,, we should be in good shape....Basically, every QB looks elite against the Patriots...So, they are playing against elite QBs every week and winning.

So what happens when they play an elite QB? Do these QBs reach Super Saiyan 5 level?

The pressure is all on Brady and it's beginning to show. He has to go into every game knowing that he has to put up at least 30 points. I guess that's why he get's the big bucks.

Yep, I agree. He knows that unless he plays perfect they have no chance in the playoffs.

You know, if you look around the league...You would think that a team like
the Cowboys, Giants, Lions, the Bears, the Jets, the Colts, and the Eagles actually have a better D and secondary than the Patriots...but most of them are struggling to win and fight like heo to keep playoffs hope alive... Like the Cowboys last night, their D blew a 12 points lead with about 4 minutes left.

And then you look at our aweful-no-named-defense and a beat up secondary...we are acutally winning! I think that is more important than anything...you play to win games and give your team shot in the playoffs. You can say all you want about our D...but we are winning and that only the thing measures in the NFL...everything else is secondary.

Umm, yeah, a QB can play MUCH better than those scrubs. Think about stalled drives and incomplete passes by Grossman, with a better QB at the helm they complete more passes and score more points, at which point it's on the offense to win that shootout.

Rodgers or Brees would eat our secondary for breakfast.

I'll be impressed when one of the alumni commentators actually admit this pass defense is so bad because of poor coaching more so than the players.

Belichick and his de facto DC continue to put their players in a position where they're beaten before the ball is even snapped.

Take the long completion to Stallworth yesterday. It's easy to blame McCourty, but, based on the defense play call and the technique he was asked to play, I can't see how he could have played it any better.

The problem was the foolish safety blitz called on the play where the safety on that side ran 15 yards to the line of scrimmage only to be met by the entire right-side of the Redskins Oline. I'm not a big fan of safety blitzes but if you're going to do it, you might want to have the safety closer to the LOS to begin with and you might want him to, say, be the 4th rusher on the left side of the line rather than the sole rusher against the right. A 215 lb man has little chance to overpower a 315 lb man much less 2 of them. It might have been better to have just left him back to defend the deep middle of the field wouldn't you think?

Okay all you Belichick worshipers can take your shots now but let me say first that I respect the HC of the NEP and appreciate all he's done to build this golden era for my favorite football team. But, HE is the problem here. The emphasis is too much on trying to confuse the opponent only to confuse his own players more or put them at a competitive disadvantage trying. Belichick is not the first person to let his stubborness tarnish his overall brilliance. They can keep releasing a DB a week, but this pass defense needs better plays more than better players.

This clown finally got banned? I want to throw a party or something.

What happens when we are down by some two scores and we need the D to actually start getting off the field. Can the D stiffen up when we need it?

Perhaps it is now time for BB to consider a readily available FDA pharmaceutical remedy?

The following ex-Patriots would improve this secondary:

Deltha O'Neal
Jason Webster
Hank Poteat
Tory James
Dexter Reid
O-T-I-S Smith
Chad Scott
Mike Richardson
Tyrone Poole
Duane Starks
Je'Rod Cherry

and Troy Brown

I but no matter how he worded it, the general idea is pretty hard to dispute.

Actually the wording does matter.

Worst secondary that the NEP has had in 10 years is very different than worst secondary of any NFL team in ten years.

This clown finally got banned? I want to throw a party or something.

I'm usually against people getting banned unless they are really offensive, but this guy was just here to rile everyone up and turn everyone against each other. Every single one of his posts were trying to pick a fight.

Status
Not open for further replies.

New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes