PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison: Worst secondary in 10 years

Status
Not open for further replies.
Since we're having the same discussion here, I'll re-post something I said in another thread:

Look, I'll be reasonable this time.

If we're going to compare the talent between this year's team and 2004, the natural question to ask is why there has been such a drastic decline in talent since then.

I offer a few suggestions:

1) The failure of the front office to replace the starting 3-4 linebackers before they left the team. This directly led to a decline in performance and, eventually, a scheme change in 2011. This was a problem as early as 2006, and became a lot more obvious in 2007.

2) Reluctance to invest significant resources in the front seven, possibly due to the high miss rate involved when drafting and signing those players.

3) The team's insistence to continue running a two-gap defense, which not only makes finding adequate players more difficult. It also exacerbates the problem by demanding a longer learning curve for new players, who are almost universally familiar with one-gap schemes.

As for the secondary, the team has just missed on too many draft picks.

These are all ideas I've thought about for a while. I stand by Belichick as one of the better GMs in the league, given the team's continued success since the end of the "dynasty" in 2007, but I think it's fair to ask what he's been doing with the defense.

Funny. The defense bailed out Brady after he threw a redzone INT.

It's not even worth it to argue with you. So you're right, the defense bailed Brady.

I think that there is one positive we can take away from our crappy defense. A QB can't really play much better against the Patriots than Rex Grossman, Tyler from KC and Kyle Orton...so,, we should be in good shape....Basically, every QB looks elite against the Patriots...So, they are playing against elite QBs every week and winning.

I share that philosophy.

Funny. The defense bailed out Brady after he threw a redzone INT.

lulz...and Brady had to put up 350+ yards and 3 TDs. He needs 4 TDs per game to not be bailed out by the D ? Against Rex Grossman?

lulz...and Brady had to put up 350+ yards and 3 TDs. He needs 4 TDs per game to not be bailed out by the D ? Against Rex Grossman?

Let's see..Brady throws that int. Rex takes the ball,drives down the field to tie the game and gets int'd by our Defense.
So yes. Our secondary is disgusting to watch but they bailed out Brady.

Let's see..Brady throws that int. Rex takes the ball,drives down the field to tie the game and gets int'd by our Defense.

The offense put up 34(27 if you want to be anal about it) points. If the D bailed out anybody then it was themselves.

Brady needs 30+ for the win simple as that.

That's like tripping someone up and then proclaiming you saved their life when you catch their fall

The offense put up 34(27 if you want to be anal about it) points. If the D bailed out anybody then it was themselves.

Brady needs 30+ for the win simple as that.

It's not being anal. It's the truth. The defense scored on a strip sack not the offense. The offense scored 27 pts. Left 3-7 pts on the board in their last drive. The defense played well in the first two series. Then played horse**** till the end of the final drive.

The offense is our strength. Defense is our weakness. Yet compared to last year, the offense has been sporadic in the latter parts of the season.

The only problems with looking at stats like this is you gotta look at the NFL as a whole. This year is going to break the record in passing yards for the league. That means passing is up around the league and not just vs. the Pats. Two QBs (Brees and Brady) are set to break Marino's 17 year old passing yards record (Rodgers also has an outside chance of breaking it and he also hasn't passed a down against the Pats) and neither of those QBs have thrown a pass on this defense other than in practice. There could be three QBs with over 5,000 yards, ten QBs who have over 4,000 yards, and 20 QBs with over 3,000 yards. I think that is pretty unprescidented.

I am not pointing this out to say the defense is good, but you gotta factor that in when judging the stats. Passing yards are up everywhere and I think under say 2002, 2005, or whatever year's conditions that Price is comparing, this defense would have given up far less yards.

Last edited:
Yeah, that's absolutely not what happened.

Really? Brady throws an int. Rex takes the ball drives down the field and throws an int.

I saw it live on tv. I also saw the last two series.

I take the following exception to Rodney's findings...

Ty Law was drafted in 1995, and then Lawyer Malloy in 1996, so I think to be more accurate, this is the worst secondary in 15 years..............

An int is an int.

.....and if you catch the fall then you catch the fall. Look it, Brady's interception put Washington 80 yards away from a score. The Pats D for like the 3rd or 4th time let Washington march right down their throats and yes, to their credit they "caught the fall" Their inept play prior to that made that a game saving play when it should have just been garbage time practice.

Really? Brady throws an int. Rex takes the ball drives down the field and throws an int.

I saw it live on tv. I also saw the last two series.

Defense gives up 27 points.

On final drive of game, defense allows an 80 yard drive and gives up a touchdown, but the TD is negated by rare offensive PI call. Following that, the opposing receiver bobbles an easily catchable ball and Mayo takes the gift pick.

Nothing there is the defense bailing out Brady.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore