PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rodney Harrison: Manning better than Brady

I was going to say the same thing.

Who really cares?

This.

I could understand getting upset if people were opining that Trent Dilfer was better than Brady. Peyton Manning, like Brady is one of the GOAT. Not everyone thinks Brady is better than Manning...who cares?

It's probably true.

No, it's not. Brady's a top 5 all-time NFL QB. Manning's on the edge of the top 10. Brady has the better stats, other than durability stats, and he's got a better winning percentage in both regular season and the playoffs. He's the only QB in NFL history to have 100 more regular season wins than regular season losses. He's won with far lesser talent around him, as well.

That's why what Rodney said was so astonishing. He has to know that he was talking out of his ass, but he doubled down on it anyway.

I have absolutely no problem with FANS engaging in a conversation of who is better, and no, I don't think that winning SBs shuts down the discussion at all. It's true that I believe Brady's performances in the Super Bowl against the Panthers and Giants (2nd time out, when he broke the record for consecutive completions) were better than any of Peyton's SB performances, but one resulted in a win and the other resulted in a loss. Heck, I still consider Marino a great QB (better than Manning, and a hair's breath behind Brady).

Patriots fans know very well how good Manning is, but never forget these stats:

Brady has a better QB rating than Manning both in domes and outdoors.
Brady has guided a better offense than Manning ever has (even last year, when Brady's QB numbers were not as good as say Rodgers's, few took into account that Brady's O was scoring more than a TD per game than Green Bay). Few take into account the way Brady controls an offense that scores a lot of rushing TDs (well, not this year). In other words, though Brady's numbers are fantastic, they don't account for what matters most, and that's scoring points. Look at how many rushing TDs they had last year.

Most commentators are not disciplined enough to look beyond QB rating. If they were, they'd see the difference between the two QBs.

Ultimately, I also look at the WR help the two have had. I have to admit that I thought Reggie Wayne and Harrison were largely the result of Manning's greatness (similar to how Brady seems to have made the careers of players like David Givens, Deion Branch, David Patten, and heck, he helped Reche Caldwell and Jabar Gaffney resurrect careers). But watching Wayne play last year made me realize that Manning has simply had much better receivers over the years. Demaryious Thomas also seems like a game-breaker, a kid who played well with Orton and Tebow even (as hard as that is to believe).

I rate Brady higher because of his ability to run an offense more efficiently than Manning despite not having as much talent.

That to me is the definition of a better QB.

I'm sure there are a handful of elite safeties that TB has played against in his career that he felt were better than rodney:cool:

I don't think Rodney, like many others understands the difference between passer and quarterback. Or if they do, they're not talking about it, and only speaking about it from a passing perspective.

Even I'm willing to concede Peyton may be the better passer. Always has been amazing. Especially his deep balls. The man is a natural. Has been since college. Since birth. Natural talent for the position.

Tom's not. Never has been. He had to teach himself. Whether it was with Tom Martinez, even at his age now up until Mr. Martinez recent death(RIP), going back repeatedly and re-learning the basics and his mechanics. Even this season he's going to have to get used to throwing this deep balls again, which he hasn't had in years, and will have to adjust his game once again.

I think Manning could take 5 years off and never throw a football, and come back and would still throw it the same way.

Having said all that.....since when does that make you the best quarterback? Passing is obviously a big part of it, but to complete the package, you still need the clutch factor, you still need toughness, the sacrifice and most of all the leadership. The selflessness.

And I saw it yesterday in Atlanta. Playing with a young squad, Tom's in the late years of his career and it's 4th and short....he's going to go for that freaking quarterback sneak and put everything on that line, his body, his career, for that ONE freaking play in a pretty uneventful game. Just like he did against Ray Lewis in the playoffs against Baltimore at home when he got spearheaded in his spine. But at least that game had importance. He's doing it in the middle of some regular season game no one will really remember.

That's Tom. That's something I have always CLEARLY seen as a difference between Mr. Crouching Ball in the playoffs and Tom Brady. And that's why those postseason stats are what they are. Tom's willing to kill himself on every play. It's crazy, it's insane, but he does it. Even now. Even with this squad. And his guys will just bust his ass for him and for the team the same way. When you see TB doing that how the heck is anyone else on our team not going to follow that example?

Oh and one more thing. Peyton may have switched teams and coaches, which goes to add to his personal resume and ability. People say Tom's a system quarterback with a HOF coach and that helped him...but let's be honest. Doesn't the Denver Broncos offense look EXACTLY like Peyton Manning's offense in Indy?

Peyton may have switched teams and coaches, but he's still only ever ran HIS offense. And with premier receivers. How many different freaking offenses has Tom Brady ran and WON in? How many jags? How many jags we carried as dead weight? We're back to freaking huddling again. We went full circle. Tom may have stuck with one coach, and one team, but anyone who's been paying attention to the Pats offense knows damn well, Tom Brady's played in at least 5 times more different offensive systems than Peyton Manning has throughout his career. And won!

That's why as a quarterback, not as a passer, Tom's always been a level beyond Manning. Not as a passer. As a quarterback, and all that the position demands out of a person.

No, it's not. Brady's a top 5 all-time NFL QB. Manning's on the edge of the top 10. Brady has the better stats, other than durability stats, and he's got a better winning percentage in both regular season and the playoffs. He's the only QB in NFL history to have 100 more regular season wins than regular season losses. He's won with far lesser talent around him, as well.

That's why what Rodney said was so astonishing. He has to know that he was talking out of his ass, but he doubled down on it anyway.

BTW, this isn't the first time on NBC that Rodney Harrison has dissed Tom Brady. Remember this??

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSSnQrhUKpE

"Tom Brady, if you're watching, take off the skirt and put on some slacks - - toughen up (smirk, giggle)".

Rodney Harrison deserves the Tom Jackson greeting from all Patriots. Watch that video again - - he is kissing up to his new bosses.

No one (and I mean NO ONE) invented bulletin board material and groused about the media downtalking the Patriots as much as NBC's shiny new suit wearer.

If fair is fair, Brady and others on the Patriots should be able to able to tell him where to stuff himself as much as HE did to others.

Honestly, I haven't yet seen any evidence that Mr. Harrison understands the irony of this.

Rodeney Harrison is a Grade-A Hypocrite. That si a statement not made from emotion, but of fact as outlined above. It is what it is.

Last edited:
I don't think Rodney, like many others understands the difference between passer and quarterback. Or if they do, they're not talking about it, and only speaking about it from a passing perspective.

I don't necessarily agree that Tom is better than Peyton (I see it as more of a wash, they're both GOATs, trying to say one is better than the other is just splitting hairs), but great post! Getting me fired up for the rest of the season :rocker:

BTW, this isn't the first time on NBC that Rodney Harrison has dissed Tom Brady. Remember this??

Rodney Harrison and Ray Lewis diss Tom Brady - YouTube

"Tom Brady, if you're watching, take off the skirt and put on some slacks - - toughen up (smirk, giggle)".

Rodney Harrison deserves the Tom Jackson greeting from all Patriots. Watch that video again - - he is kissing up to his new bosses.

No one (and I mean NO ONE) invented bulletin board material and groused about the media downtalking the Patriots as much as NBC's shiny new suit wearer.

If fair is fair, Brady and others on the Patriots should be able to able to tell him where to stuff himself as much as HE did to others.

Honestly, I haven't yet seen any evidence that Mr. Harrison understands the irony of this.

Rodeney Harrison is a Grade-A Hypocrite. That si a statement not made from emotion, but of fact as outlined above. It is what it is.

No he doesn't. Rodney deserves to be in the Patriots hall of fame. Rodney calls it like he see it. He's great on TV. He tries to be unbiased, but if you watch football night in america every week, you can see he still loves this organization.

OK, so it "hurts" here because it comes from Rodney, a guy a lot of us absolutely admire from his time with the team. We wish he would show as much loyalty to Brady as "Saint" Dungy shows to Manning, but he has proven more than once that he isn't going to be that way.

Speakling for myself, I can accept this and not let it get in the way of my appreciation for what he did when he came to the team. His career here was certainly not perfect, he broke down a couple of times in the last couple or three years, and came up short on what sadly may be the biggest single play in team history, but the first two years he was here, they won both years. I think he had a hell of lot to do with that. Yeah, they had Ty Law, and a very young Asante, but he basically made Eugene Wilson, and the rest of the crew back there, mostly Tyrone ("Ouch!") Poole and Randall Gay, with the occasional Earthwind Moreland sprinkled it, they weren't really very good, but Rodney got them organized and generally there to make big plays.

This was a great player for the Pats, and I think it is altogether possible that what drove him to be that great player is also what drives him to be as good as he is on NBC (even when he isn't taking the positions we'd love for him to take).

this debate has been going on for years and will be going on for decades after both are enshrined in Canton by unanimous votes in their respective first year's of eligibility.

my view is that if they both (God forbid!) suffered career-ending injuries this week, Brady would always be ranked a little ahead of P. Manning because of five AFC Championships and three rings trumping four MVP's and a boat load of stats along with one Lombardi and two trips to the big game.

But if Manning somehow continues at a pace to break some more records this year, grabs a fifth MVP and caps it off with a second ring, I guess I'd have to re-evaluate that. But, I don't think I'll have to do that.

Put Brady on the current Broncos and Manning on the current Patriots. What happens? No one knows for sure, but my feeling is that Brady would win the SuperBowl on the Broncos. Somehow, I get the feeling that the Broncos will lose in the playoffs, and it will be Manning's fault somehow. I'm also not sure that Peyton could make lemonade out of such a young group of receivers like Brady has. We can't count Belichick out of the equation, either. He is the mastermind behind the Pats. Peyton is pretty much the head coach of the Broncos, so he should get points for that.

That being said, they are both great QBs. I like Brady better, but can't really argue that Manning is not as good. It's a tough call.

Put Brady on the current Broncos and Manning on the current Patriots. What happens? No one knows for sure, but my feeling is that Brady would win the SuperBowl on the Broncos. Somehow, I get the feeling that the Broncos will lose in the playoffs, and it will be Manning's fault somehow. I'm also not sure that Peyton could make lemonade out of such a young group of receivers like Brady has. We can't count Belichick out of the equation, either. He is the mastermind behind the Pats. Peyton is pretty much the head coach of the Broncos, so he should get points for that.

That being said, they are both great QBs. I like Brady better, but can't really argue that Manning is not as good. It's a tough call.

When has anyone ever really seen Peyton Manning win ugly? Consistently. Win without his pretty offense. Win with jags. Win when having to hand it off 270000 in a row, then asked to make one pass and nail that TD in double coverage. Put his body on the line and get an inch.

When? Because to win with THIS team, you have to do that. It wouldn't be Manning's offense, and Peyton's team, just like it isn't Tom's hand picked team. It's Bill's. And can Manning do everything Bill asks him to do, and play however Bill needs him to play, even if those are things that aren't on the curriculum of Peyton Manning's passing academy?

I know Tom can and that's what I give a **** about. I don't believe Peyton can. Because I've only seen Peyton play his game, in his offense, and that's also why I'm not worried about them. John Fox bolsters his defense. But Bill knows Peyton and his offense. Dare I say, he's predictable to Bill? Nothing new with the Broncos other than that D. Peyton managed to make even John Fox forget about a running game. And BB knows Peyton's O.

Who knows our O? We don't even know it. No freaking clue what we are, and what we will be. I just know I have the one guy under center that whatever it will end up being, will execute it to the level we have accustomed to just like he always has. Cause that's what he's damn good at.

Rodney Harrison was a great player, but he's a ******* terrible analyst, or color commentator, or whatever the hell he is over at SNF.

why are there so many fans on here with hurt feelings ? when Rodney was playing the colts would score 30 per game and Peyton was the only QB in the NFL throwing for 4500 yards and 35 TD's the pats and Brady where playing the way they are now a good game from Brady and clutch plays from the defense to close it

Actually what he said was that Manning was the greatest QB he has faced, unless he fails to win the Super Bowl this year, in which case his career will be a "disappointment," which caused me to laugh my @ss off. GOAT and career disappointment in the same breath, that's hilarious. Fine work Rodney.

Peyton is playing better right now no disputing that (16 TD 0Int) is insane numbers, but to classify him better then Brady he will have to win another Superbowl and even then Brady still has an argument of being better.

Peyton is playing better right now no disputing that (16 TD 0Int) is insane numbers, but to classify him better then Brady he will have to win another Superbowl and even then Brady still has an argument of being better.

If he wins 3 more super bowls and 12 more playoff games i will think about it, until then...........................

As of now i think a real argument can be made that Peyton is the Greatest Regular Season QB Of All Time

GRSQBOAT

I was thinking this just this morning. What if the NFL could agree to let Brady and Manning swap teams for one week (so they would have a little time to prepare) and then see who won? I'm betting it would be Brady, but who knows? I'm glad we have him rather than Manning. Manning is great (maddening at times!), but Brady has consistently done more with less, or more with equal. Thanks Tom. I will cry genuine tears the day you retire.

I am so sick of hearing about this Fivehead Bastard. It ruins the season for me because I can't listen to any talk radio. It's pathetic.

It's always the shiny new thing. I remember going through this with Petyton's Colts, Rodgers and the Packers and now this mess. Ugh.

It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
Back