PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Can Marvin Harrison unlock Thornton and Juju

Toofy

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Considering the scrappy QB play that we are witnessing so far and the wide receivers playing under Matt Patricia and a terribly regressed Mac jones, could a WR1 unlock everyone else.

Did Mac make every wide receiver look more bad than they actually were ? I had a contrary opinion for first 7 weeks but the colts game made me a non believer in Mac.

What if Marvin Harrison turns out to be our Mcaffrey and unlocks everyone's potential to an altogether unseen level.

If he is the once in a generation wide receiver , better to draft him than to draft maye or williams as QB transition from ncaa football to NYFL is roll of dice.

Tbh I am just warming up to zappe because that seems the easiest and quickest path to redemption. Can Zappe be our Purdy?

Considering the scrappy QB play that we are witnessing so far and the wide receivers playing under Matt Patricia and a terribly regressed Mac jones, could a WR1 unlock everyone else.

What if Marvib Harrison turns out to be our Mcaffrey and unlocks everyone's potential to an altogether unseen level.

If he is the once in a generation wide receiver , better to draft him than to draft maye or williams as QB transition from ncaa football to NYFL is roll of dice.

Tbh I am just warming up to zappe because that seems the easiest and quickest path to redemption. Can Zappe be our Purdy?
Even if we get Harrison Jr., we need an upgrade at QB. I would try to also draft (even if having to move back into the 1st Round), Daniels or McCarthy (if he comes out). Although "Our Guy" could be there at the beginning of the 2nd Round. Perhaps Carson Beck or someone similar.

Even if we get Harrison Jr., we need an upgrade at QB. I would try to also draft (even if having to move back into the 1st Round), Daniels or McCarthy (if he comes out). Although "Our Guy" could be there at the beginning of the 2nd Round. Perhaps Carson Beck or someone similar.

QBs take a time to develop and considering college football is littered with running QBs with zero focus on standing in pocket passer, it makes sense to draft experimental Qbs in 3rd and 4th rounds and see how they develop. Have 3 QBs always competing for the spot till a clear winner emerges. 2nd round should be reserved for OT.

Invest more on Qb coach and practice squad development .

Did Mac make every wide receiver look more bad than they actually were ? I had a contrary opinion for first 7 weeks but the colts game made me a non believer in Mac.

What if Marvin Harrison turns out to be our Mcaffrey and unlocks everyone's potential to an altogether unseen level.

The Patriots, and probably most teams are not going to draft a receiver in the top 3 part of the draft. Bears could but only becuase they have a couple picks up there. Teams picking there need more than a receiver, you dont draft a receiver to build around. They are too easy to get.

QBs take a time to develop and considering college football is littered with running QBs with zero focus on standing in pocket passer, it makes sense to draft experimental Qbs in 3rd and 4th rounds and see how they develop. Have 3 QBs always competing for the spot till a clear winner emerges. 2nd round should be reserved for OT.

Invest more on Qb coach and practice squad development .
How many running QB's have won the superbowl in the last 20 years?

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
"Unlock" no. Bump the other guys down the depth chat? Yes.

Drafting a WR when you have a top 5 pick and no QB, and a strong WB class makes absolutely no sense at all.

I'd draft QB first everything else is secondary
Find your guy and then go from there
I don't want to go the vet route either

Agree completely. Get your QB then address the other issues.

His Dad had trouble playing outside in the cold and on grass. Hopefully it isn't like father like son.

Can he? If you put lipstick on a pig, ain't it still a pig?

How does MHjr all of a sudden make Boney T run better routes or understand passing concepts? How does he make Ju Ju’s knee better?

The reality is, and like others have mentioned, if we draft a WR high he’s coming into replace guys like Boney T, Ju Ju, and Parker.

Teakwood Thorton is a BUST.

Harrison would elevate everyone. He probably could of made Malik Cunningham look like Randall Cunningham instead of looking like a Michael Bishop wannabe.

I personally think Harrison is the best prospect in the draft, but I can’t see anyone trading up for him in the top 3. The price to trade into the #1 or #3 positions is likely to be too high to justify taking a WR there except if it’s a team that’s close to contending and needs a WR1 to get there, and that type of team is unlikely to have the trade capital it needs to get that deal done.

However, I could definitely see Chicago taking him at #1 if they stick with Fields or Arizona taking him at #3 if they’re still there and sticking with Murray, but I’d expect at least one of them to either draft an OT or trade back more than taking Harrison in their current positions

If the Pats stay at #2 I’m expecting them to take a QB, even in the seemingly unlikely event that BB is still here and even more so if there is a new HC, irrespective of whether they bring in a veteran QB in free agency. If they don’t like either Williams or Maye (or Daniels?) then I’d expect them to trade down or take an OT at #2 rather than take Harrison.

All that being said, I’d love if they drafted the guy who I think is the best prospect in the draft after addressing QB and OT in free agency.

I personally think Harrison is the best prospect in the draft, but I can’t see anyone trading up for him in the top 3. The price to trade into the #1 or #3 positions is likely to be too high to justify taking a WR there except if it’s a team that’s close to contending and needs a WR1 to get there, and that type of team is unlikely to have the trade capital it needs to get that deal done.

However, I could definitely see Chicago taking him at #1 if they stick with Fields or Arizona taking him at #3 if they’re still there and sticking with Murray, but I’d expect at least one of them to either draft an OT or trade back more than taking Harrison in their current positions

If the Pats stay at #2 I’m expecting them to take a QB, even in the seemingly unlikely event that BB is still here and even more so if there is a new HC, irrespective of whether they bring in a veteran QB in free agency. If they don’t like either Williams or Maye (or Daniels?) then I’d expect them to trade down or take an OT at #2 rather than take Harrison.

All that being said, I’d love if they drafted the guy who I think is the best prospect in the draft after addressing QB and OT in free agency.
I think if the Pats are at #3 and the top 2 picks go QB, they will take Harrison. If one of the top 2 picks don’t go QB and one of them take Harrison instead then that means one of Williams or Maye will be available still. So it is a good spot to be in.

If they are at 4 then same as above but if all 3 guys are taken then draft Daniels. May be a little bit of a reach but worth it to get your QB IMO. I would go Maye - Williams - Harrison - Daniels. After that it’s probably a left tackle. If they’re at 5 or 6 I would be seeing if I could trade up to 4 and what it would cost me.

An elite receiver makes all other receivers better just by virtue of the coverage they command

I wouldn't hate it if we were locked in the #3 spot and took Harrison...then traded back up in the first to take McCarthy in the mid-late 1st OR stood pat and take Nix at the top of the 2nd.

I agree that Harrison could unlock everyone...BUT he will still only be a ROOKIE. In the history of rookie WR's...who has absolutely dominated in their first season? Moss....Jefferson....and maybe a handful more...

I think Thornton will at least be decent ... a good vertical receiver to open up the middle.
The days of deep ball threat are gone ... DB's are as fast as WR's ... but he could still drag the free safety a bit.
He has not been used correctly ... he does not have the frame to live in the middle ... it is and has been dumb.

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back