PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Richard Seymour on WEEI now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes it does.

And now we are going into the offseason without Seymour, Green, Banta-Cain, Burgess and Woods. And we are all sure that Thomas is gone.

And against this backdrop we think that this is not our #1 offseason issue (after the extensions of Brady, Mankins and Wilfork)

If true, that speaks volumes about the team's problems/issues during the past year.

Confusing me with emoney. I maintain that they were keeping Green all along. I never said such a thing about Pryor and Richards. They were depth guys that BB felt had a chance to contribute somehow. IMO Pryor exceeded BBs expectations.

How is he confusing anything. You are the one that said Pryor and Richards were BB's plan for Seymour's departure, not I.

BB thought he had adequate 1st team d-line talent with Warren, Wilfork and Green/Wright and thought that Brace could fill in. The liked what he saw from Pryor in the offseason. Thus the decision was made to move Sey.

Warren, Wilfork, Green/Wright are the factors that allow moving Seymour while still fielding a good DL. The bottom of the chart depth is not significant in this situation.

How is he confusing anything. You are the one that said Pryor and Richards were BB's plan for Seymour's departure, not I.

My take was that he said you said that you felt BB didn't plan in ditching Green. I was saying that by picking up Pryor and Richards and especially seeing Pryor play well in preseason made BB a little more comfortable in trading Seymore. We can leave richards out of the discussion. My point was to highlight that BB drafted another D-lineman who had a chance to contribute. Thats all.

Warren, Wilfork, Green/Wright are the factors that allow moving Seymour while still fielding a good DL. The bottom of the chart depth is not significant in this situation.

I kinda agree with the fact that BB had no idea what he had in Pryor or Richards. He did with Brace but Brace did not give him the kind of depth he was hoping for in a 2nd rounder this year with the thinking that he was going to move Sey. Fortunately, Pryor showed that in preseason and IMO made BB a little more comfortable with the decision to move Sey.

Last edited:
In the end, Seymour comes to his senses, realizes this is the BEST place to try to get another ring. Plus he's homesick for new england. Loves our CHOWDA!!

So he signs a very reasonable short term deal, maybe 3 years 14M with 5M signing bonus.

Yes, you heard it here first.:singing:
:D

My take was that he said you said that you felt BB didn't plan in ditching Green. I was saying that by picking up Pryor and Richards and especially seeing Pryor play well in preseason made BB a little more comfortable in trading Seymore. We can leave richards out of the discussion. My point was to highlight that BB drafted another D-lineman who had a chance to contribute. Thats all.

I fail to see what Green leaving after 2009 and trading Seymour before 2009 has anything to do with one another? I don't think anything BB did in the offseason made him more comfortable trading Seymour. I think that Green/Wright made trading Seymour easier than it already was.

I kinda agree with the fact that BB had no idea what he had in Pryor or Richards. He did with Brace but Brace did not give him the kind of depth he was hoping for in a 2nd rounder this year with the thinking that he was going to move Sey. Fortunately, Pryor showed that in preseason and IMO made BB a little more comfortable with the decision to move Sey.

These guys IMO are for their potential future contributions and I really don't think that any preseason or offseason work any of them showed effected BB's thinking with trading Seymour. 1st round pick in 2011 vs. one year of Seymour is easy regardless of what any of the rookies showed .

I fail to see what Green leaving after 2009 and trading Seymour before 2009 has anything to do with one another? I don't think anything BB did in the offseason made him more comfortable trading Seymour. I think that Green/Wright made trading Seymour easier than it already was.

Me neither. I was going off what the other poster said and what he thought that I was saying.

These guys IMO are for their potential future contributions and I really don't think that any preseason or offseason work any of them showed effected BB's thinking with trading Seymour. 1st round pick in 2011 vs. one year of Seymour is easy regardless of what any of the rookies showed .

Could be that simple but I think BB is a little more cautious that just going into the season w/ 4 quality linemen. IMO he wanted to wait and see how the kids developed and make sure that he didn't have any major injuries (like Wilfork, Warren) in camp or preseason.

Last edited:
Could be that simple but I think BB is a little more cautious that just going into the season w/ 4 quality linemen. IMO he wanted to wait and see how the kids developed and make sure that he didn't have any major injuries (like Wilfork, Warren) in camp or preseason.

It's possible, but I don't think that the offer was even on the table earlier nor do I think that he waited to shop Seymour until he saw the kids. I think it's all happenstance, and that the Raiders happen to give an offer they couldn't refuse.

If the offer was on the table, it's a big risk to delay such a great offer just because you want to see how some rookies look. Also those rookies aren't a determining factor in whether or not you decide to shop Seymour aggressively or not.

Last edited:
It's possible, but I don't think that the offer was even on the table earlier nor do I think that he waited to shop Seymour until he saw the kids. I think it's all happenstance, and that the Raiders happen to give an offer they couldn't refuse.

Who knows....Just seems like making sure that the kids can contribute something and that there aren't any major injuries in camp is the prudent most cautious approach- nothing more.

If the offer was on the table, it's a big risk to delay such a great offer just because you want to see how some rookies look. .

To your point- no. I don't think there was never an offer in April for #1 for Seymour but the requirements may have been discussed for Sey around that time. Heres how it may have played out: Senile Al calls BB in April and wants Wilfork. BB says no but either Al asks about Sey or Bill says we are looking to move Sey. Maybe they nail down picks in early Aug when they talked about Burgess and BB says lets wait and Al says OK. I do think that BB wanted to move Sey in the offseason and determined that early in the process. He just wanted the right deal with the right team with the right comp and if he didn't get it, Sey would stay.

Also those rookies aren't a determining factor in whether or not you decide to shop Seymour aggressively or not.

Depends on the rookie IMO. Young, cheap, rock-star rookies always make older,more expensive players expendable. In this case with Pryor and Richards, most likely not. Brace and 2nd rounder that they projected as a rotational player his rookie year, quite possibly. If they got zippo in d-line in the 2nd round I do wonder if BB was going to still dish Sey.

Last edited:
To your point- no. I don't think there was never an offer in April for #1 and Seymour but the requirements may have been discussed for Sey around that time. Heres how it may have played out: Senile Al calls BB in April and wants Wilfork. BB says no but either Al asks about Sey or Bill says we are looking to move Sey. Maybe they nail down picks in early Aug when they talked about Burgess and BB says lets wait and Al says OK. I do think that BB wanted to move Sey in the offseason. He just wanted the right deal with the right team with the right comp.

The only issue I have with this scenario is that a #1 pick from Oakland is far too valuable to wait from April to September, especially based on rookies. Therefore it would have been extremely irresponsible of BB to assume that the Raiders would just stand pat until September waiting for his decision on Seymour.

Depends on the rookie IMO. Young, cheap, rock-star rookies always make older,more expensive players expendable. In this case with Pryor and Richards, most likely not. Brace and 2nd rounder that they projected as a rotational player his rookie year, quite possibly. If they got zippo in d-line in the 2nd round I do wonder if BB was going to still dish Sey.

Clearly it wasn't Brace either as he was no rockstar in 2009, nor did they even attempt to use him much until needed when Wilfork got hurt. Not to mention he's not going to be playing DE anytime soon. None of the rookies made up for any of Seymour's snaps.

The more likely situation is that BB told Al they can talk about Seymour but not Wilfork (though Al didn't want to do that in April) and that in September Al finally called with "fine OK 2011 first for Seymour" and BB said "now you're talking, done!"

Last edited:
The only issue I have with this scenario is that a #1 pick from Oakland is far too valuable to wait from April to September, especially based on rookies. Therefore it would have been extremely irresponsible of BB to assume that the Raiders would just stand pat until September waiting for his decision on Seymour.

Sure. I dont think the #1 was offered by Al in April. Al asks what it will take, BB told him Al went off and came back in Aug or mid-Aug or whatever. Maybe in April BB said he wanted a #1 and a 3rd rd for Sey and Al says no. Who knows. All part of negotiating.

Clearly it wasn't Brace either as he was no rockstar in 2009, nor did they even attempt to use him much until needed when Wilfork got hurt. Not to mention he's not going to be playing DE anytime soon. None of the rookies made up for any of Seymour's snaps.

Directly- no. But Pryor did OK vs the run but obviously is nowhere close to Sey. Yea Brace didn't have the juice as a rook. I like him though. Need to see what he can do w/ a full off-season of conditioning and working on fundamentals.

The more likely situation is that BB told Al they can talk about Seymour but not Wilfork (though Al didn't want to do that in April) and that in September Al finally called with "fine OK 2011 first for Seymour" and BB said "now you're talking, done!"

Very plausible.

Last edited:
Agreed, and in the end we are left with a good situation. How good will be determined by how the rooks progress along with any additional moves they make this offseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft