PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Fred Taylor signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Fred Taylor Signed

I'm guessing that the Patriots are going to be run-heavy this year so Brady doesn't have the carry the load too much. Adding Taylor makes perfect sense if that's the case.

Ray Gustini's article on NFP this morning is about Fred. It's standard Ray, good article, fun read.

I'm mobile, so I can't post the link.

This signing is superior to the Corey Dillon signing. With Dillon you got a great power back but very little ability to make catches. Putting Taylor in the backfield doesn't scream running play every play. This should be a good fit.

At least for 2004, Dillon was a far better signing. The guy was 60 yards away from being the league leader in rushing and he missed the Steelers' game that year. I don't think you can expect that type of production from Taylor.

It is a good move as long as the Pats didn't pay too much, but Taylor is more of a change of pace RB now than a lead back. If Taylor is the Pats lead back this season, there are a lot of injuries at the position or they better check his locker for steriods/HGH. Taylor has the potential to be a great acquistion if he is limited to about 15 touches a game. But his days of being "the guy" are most likely behind him.

I agree with the Dillon comparisons. This signing will go relatively under the radar and hit teams in the chin come September... and hopefully February.

At least for 2004, Dillon was a far better signing. The guy was 60 yards away from being the league leader in rushing and he missed the Steelers' game that year. I don't think you can expect that type of production from Taylor.
Taylor won't produce like that because we're a different team now. I'm not going to look at the stats (which favor Taylor now vs. Dillon is his last few years in Cincy) as they're so team dependent but I think Taylor has as much left as Dillon and he doesn't bring the quirky personality that Dillon did; even when Dillon was a good guy in 2004 he brought a bit of a weirdness with him.

Anyway - Fred Taylor - nice, one of my favorites.

It's a nice signing, but not one that's gonna have much impact IMO.

It's a nice signing, but not one that's gonna have much impact IMO.
:confused:

He's our best RB now. We play in the NE with crappy weather and all our RB are injury prone. Of course it will have a big impact :)

It is a good move as long as the Pats didn't pay too much, but Taylor is more of a change of pace RB now than a lead back. If Taylor is the Pats lead back this season, there are a lot of injuries at the position or they better check his locker for steriods/HGH. Taylor has the potential to be a great acquistion if he is limited to about 15 touches a game. But his days of being "the guy" are most likely behind him.

Somehow, I don't think any RB is going to complain about being overworked next year. ;)

See? THIS is why I go on patsfans: I heard it here first.

Same here, but all in all a great low risk high reward signing. If he does bad he still brings us an extra veteran presence in the locker room, but if he does good then we get a good deal out of it!

Taylor won't produce like that because we're a different team now. I'm not going to look at the stats (which favor Taylor now vs. Dillon is his last few years in Cincy) as they're so team dependent but I think Taylor has as much left as Dillon and he doesn't bring the quirky personality that Dillon did; even when Dillon was a good guy in 2004 he brought a bit of a weirdness with him.

Anyway - Fred Taylor - nice, one of my favorites.

I do agree that RB by committee is far more prevalent today in the NFL than even five years ago. And the Pats have bought into it more than most.

As for Taylor, I tend to doubt he has as much left in the tank as Dillon had. Dillon was 29 when he came to the Pats and was coming off an injury that hurt his production. Taylor is 31, had a lot of injuries, and had a down season partly due to injuries but nearly as much as Dillon's was. I do agree that he is far more of team guy than Dillon though.

EDIT: Taylor is 33, not 31.

Last edited:

Taylor is 31, had a lot of injuries, and had a down season partly due to injuries but nearly as much as Dillon's was.
I guess we'll see although it seemed to me that Taylor's down year was more due to the Jags' bad season, messed up OL and commitment to Jones-Drew, not that I can blame them for wanting Jones-Drew to get the ball more.

:confused:

He's our best RB now. We play in the NE with crappy weather and all our RB are injury prone. Of course it will have a big impact :)

with the way RB's get hurt around he year in year out, having a 33 year old as your #1 is a scary proposition

with the way RB's get hurt around he year in year out, having a 33 year old as your #1 is a scary proposition

The guy averaged 5 YPC or better in both 2006 & 2007 - the Jags O-line was decimated last season.

And for a 33 y/o guy, he's shared carries at time, and has only gone over 300 carries once in his career. He's still got something left in the tank.

Which is besides the point - he's coming to the team that had the 2nd best rushing offense in the league according to Football Outsiders. (see here: FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008) The running corps was already strong, it just got stronger.

I think he's our #1 back. That doesn't mean he'll be getting all the carries. 12-15 for him is good and I think he's up to it. Morris and Maroney are still there to help out in a big way too.

Number one nmber two...it's a GROUP of running backs..that is what I like avout the digning...adding a LOT of depth to it. GREAT MOVE!! Jordan out Taylor in...BIG pickup!!

The guy averaged 5 YPC or better in both 2006 & 2007 - the Jags O-line was decimated last season.

And for a 33 y/o guy, he's shared carries at time, and has only gone over 300 carries once in his career. He's still got something left in the tank.

Which is besides the point - he's coming to the team that had the 2nd best rushing offense in the league according to Football Outsiders. (see here: FOOTBALL OUTSIDERS: Football analysis and NFL stats for the Moneyball era - Authors of Pro Football Prospectus 2008) The running corps was already strong, it just got stronger.

Well, RBs hit the age wall faster and hard probably than any other position. Dillon went from 1635 yards in 2004 to 733 in 2005. Shawn Alexander went from league MVP to JAG in about two years. LaDamien Tomlinson went from record breaking MVP season two years ago to above average this past season.

The guy is 33 years old and to expect him to be any more than a role player who can make a big impact in a limited roll is being overly optimistic.

I'm as pumped as much as anyone here, but I do not see him as the #1. I see him as a replacement to Lamont Jordan in the #3 slot as a goaline back

In fact this throws a wrench into the whole RB situation now. We still need a FB, so assuming one is signed we now have 6 RBs on the roster. Someone will have to be cut or traded. TC is going to be a 3 spots battle between Maroney, Morris, Lawfirm, and now Taylor. Faulk and FB to be named later are locks.

The best RB on the roster. Will immediately provide balance to the offense. Just as Moss stretches the field to open up the running game, Taylor will force teams to pay attention to the LOS. Why, you say? Taylor is fifth in NFL history with 311 rushes of 10-plus yards and ranks fourth with 13 rushes of 50-plus yards.

Well, RBs hit the age wall faster and hard probably than any other position. Dillon went from 1635 yards in 2004 to 733 in 2005. Shawn Alexander went from league MVP to JAG in about two years. LaDamien Tomlinson went from record breaking MVP season two years ago to above average this past season.

The guy is 33 years old and to expect him to be any more than a role player who can make a big impact in a limited roll is being overly optimistic.

I 100% agree. I know he's just signed and everyone is excited, but there is a reason he was released in Jax besides his cap number

Anyone think this could mean the end or Sammy? How much space could we clear by cutting him loose?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back