PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reports: Fred Taylor signed

Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL I thought that 2 yr 15 mil seemed a little strange.:p

WHy commit that money when we already have Maroney getting big cash at the same position

$1.7m cap figure is "big cash"?

Last edited:
So the deal is 2 years, $5 M?? Seems like a bit much at a position that's not really in need.

Re: Fred Taylor Signed

Well, RBs hit the age wall faster and hard probably than any other position. Dillon went from 1635 yards in 2004 to 733 in 2005. Shawn Alexander went from league MVP to JAG in about two years. LaDamien Tomlinson went from record breaking MVP season two years ago to above average this past season.

The guy is 33 years old and to expect him to be any more than a role player who can make a big impact in a limited roll is being overly optimistic.

"The guy is 33 years old and to expect him to be any more than a role player who can make a big impact in a limited roll is being overly optimistic.[/QUOTE]"

Very realistic viewpoint. Look for him to be a role player coming in sporadically to move the chains. Fred is not an every down back any longer. His skills have diminished considerably......that having been said....he should be able to come in and provide a spark here or there,......I still see us going after a RB in the draft for the future. Maroney has THIS year to show he belongs here and can get it done for an entire season...stay healthy and be our key RB.....I don't see it........one mans opinion

ill go out on a limb and say that Fred will be the leading rushers on the team at years end :)

ill go out on a limb and say that Fred will be the leading rushers on the team at years end :)

I'm climbing out to the same limb, ScrewDrvr......:eek:

Taylor still looked pretty good last year, considering. Even Maurice Jones-Drew had a hard time finding yards behind that line. And it's not like teams were playing back to prevent Matt Jones from getting behind them.

Taylor's exactly what they need -- he's a guy who can run inside and outside, is good in short-yardage situations and picks up the blitz very well. Now they can run the spread offense as much as they want, because Taylor, Morris and Faulk can all block and catch the ball. The problem with Maroney is that he doesn't block well, so when he's in he has to be running the ball for the most part. I'd bet that Taylor gets Maroney's carries. Maybe Maroney will return kickoffs, or maybe the light will go on for that kid. He does have talent.

But anyone who says Taylor is done didn't watch him last year. He still runs pretty fast, and he's running with more power than he did when he was younger. Seems to me he became a better runner about five or six years ago, that suddenly he was running much harder and getting more tough inside yards. He doesn't break away like he used to, but the guy is still pretty excellent. He'll be like Morris is for us, only better I think. They're similar, both big backs who can block. It's a terrific set of backs to have. They're more than set at the position, it seems to me.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots WR Javon Baker Conference Call
TRANSCRIPT: Layden Robinson Conference Call
MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
Back