PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Ryan Mallett Traded to Houston for late pick

Status
Not open for further replies.
How anyone can complain about this trade is beyond me. Mallett sucks. Period. Getting anything for a terrible player who you have no use for is a stroke of genius.

The people who complain about this stuff make the board unreadable.

Now Mallet is a "starting QB???" When the fak has ever ever started a game, shown he was capable of being a starter, and/or shown that he was even capable of playing in the league well.

A starting QB for a 6th disgusting.
BB really helping out his friend.

Ridiculous trade. Why even bother ? I rather keep him for a year as insurance and get nothing next year. Dumb, worthless trade. So we basically traded Mallett for Aiken (or whatever long snapper, Mallett was basically traded to open up a roster spot) and a 6th round pick.

Have you guys ever seen Mallett play?

The Patriots just stole a 6th round pick for a guy who's looked like manure when he's played, and who was gone at the end of the year.

For the amount of Hype this move had, the result is very anticlimactic.

It's not that we deserved higher, because we simple don't. Mallet had a horrific PreSeason and has done nothing to ensure anyone he's a capable starter. Also,even if he does blossom, he'll demand a great contrat in one year.

BTW, I think the Texans could make him into a starter if they gear the offense for him. I doubt they will because Fitzpatrick is still probably better which is no compliment to Fitpatrick.

But .... but .... but .... Ryan Mallett was suppose to be traded to the Cleveland Browns for a first round pick in 2013.

Let me make it a little clearer for the people that thought they should have gotten more than a 6th.

Texans had first priority at Mallet if he hit waivers. Texans then probably just said why give anything when he will be ours. Pats then called a few other teams Texans got worried and blinked.

The fact that BB could a pick at all says that is a win in his favor.

BB got outmanaged on this one

I'm calling it a win.

I don't feel we were offered more and turned it down no.
I just feel a possible starting QB had to be worth more than a 6th if he starts and gets a second contract then the Texans got a steal.
I guess I just thought a player or at least a third.

• Agree
Reactions: ALP
I'm not arguing "they could have gotten more" : it is more that "it is disappointing Mallett never developed further, making him worth more than a 6th round pick.

While it is true that BB has been great at finding gems late, did we believe - when drafted - that Mallett would be moved for a 6th rounder ? I didn't. But I fully agree with the "better a pick than nothing, because he was moving in any event".

A high 4th (Bucs) and a high 6th (Texans) will be good ammo to maneuver in the draft. Don't forget about Talib's likely compensatory 3rd rounder.

The 2015 draft should be fun.

I'm not convinced that the Texans pick will be a high one, personally. If they can get even adequate QB play--admittedly a huge if--I could see them being a fringe playoff team.

This isn't ideal for the Texans; with Mallett hitting FA this offseason, I'm sure they would prefer to have him start all 16 games to have a better idea of what they have before committing to him long term.

Wasn't Billy O'Brien his OC during his rookie season?

Have you guys ever seen Mallett play?

The Patriots just stole a 6th round pick for a guy who's looked like manure when he's played, and who was gone at the end of the year.
Yeah I have seen him play. And he's a good insurance policy. I don't think Garopollo is ready if god forbid, Brady goes down. I've been as vocal as anyone here as far as liking what I see from Garopollo, and also with my dislike for Mallett, but kinda felt better having him for the backup THIS year. Next year I'm hoping Garopollo is ready to make that 2nd year jump and be ready for any emergencies.

So it seems the consensus is that Mallett looked like garbage and the Patriots should have cut him rather than wasting the roster spot, and that Houston totally fleeced BB by only giving up a 6th rounder for him.

The consensus makes my head hurt.

Wasn't Billy O'Brien his OC during his rookie season?

Yeah, but you don't commit to a QB long term based on that. You commit based on how he plays when he's actually taking meaningful snaps in games.

BTW, I think the Texans could make him into a starter if they gear the offense for him. I doubt they will because Fitzpatrick is still probably better which is no compliment to Fitpatrick.

Didn't know there was also a Fitpatrick.;)

IMO, Mallett has more upside than Fitzy, will be interesting to see how it plays out once Fitzy hits a bad stretch.

Always good to "work with" a friend. "You can have Mallett now but we made need him back later this season. You good with that Bill? No problem Bill. How's the family?"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back