PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mallett not going to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9h

Along with a potential trade for Ryan Mallett to #Texans is a one-year contract extension for Mallett. That would come along with the trade

Ian Rapoport ‏@RapSheet 9h

The #Patriots were waiting to see if they could draft a QB they liked before they attempted to trade Ryan Mallett. They have him now.

Ian Rap has been pretty spot on this offseason about news.

what can we get for mallett?

My guess is the Pats will trade Mallett for Fedorowicz. I have a feeling that the Texans drafted him because they knew the Pats wanted him and since the trade wasn't worked out by the time they picked, they selected the player the Pats wanted to make it a defacto pick trade (ala when the Giants drafted Rivers to trade for Manning).

Brooks Reed and a 5th this year 4th next year?
How many would make that trade?

My guess is the Pats will trade Mallett for Fedorowicz. I have a feeling that the Texans drafted him because they knew the Pats wanted him and since the trade wasn't worked out by the time they picked, they selected the player the Pats wanted to make it a defacto pick trade (ala when the Giants drafted Rivers to trade for Manning).
There are issues with trading draft picks after you take them I think.
It makes no sense to me though. Why wouldn't they just make the trade?

I don't think there are any issues in trading a pick after you make the pick. I could be wrong.

As for just trading the pick, according to Rappaport, the Texans want a trade contingent on Mallett signing an one year extension. Word was that the Texans were going to draft Garoppolo. Rappaport also said the Pats weren't going to trade Mallett until they got his replacement. The Texans' third round pick happened about 20 minutes after the Pats drafted Garoppolo. Probably way too many moving pieces to get done in that short of time.

In that scenario, I'd assume because they hadn't agreed to an extension with Mallett by that point and a trade is dependent on that.

I don't think there are any issues in trading a pick after you make the pick. I could be wrong.

As for just trading the pick, according to Rappaport, the Texans want a trade contingent on Mallett signing an one year extension. Word was that the Texans were going to draft Garoppolo. Rappaport also said the Pats weren't going to trade Mallett until they got his replacement. The Texans' third round pick happened about 20 minutes after the Pats drafted Garoppolo. Probably way too many moving pieces to get done in that short of time.
Someone posted the issue, it has to do with the cap and the rookie pool for each of the teams.
Too conspiracy theory for me, if they wanted to make the deal, they could have gotten it done.

Someone posted the issue, it has to do with the cap and the rookie pool for each of the teams.
Too conspiracy theory for me, if they wanted to make the deal, they could have gotten it done.

I don't think any rookie salary cap pool is going to be affected by adding a third round pick all that much.

And Mallett could be the issue. He might be fighting an one year extension or wanting more than the Texans are willing to offer.

As much as I would like something to come from a Mallet trade, I think this doesn't make much sense. Drafting a player the opponent wants for a trade that is not worked out yet seems like very bad business. The Patriots would have all the leverage in the situation.

Now, if both teams were coincidentally similarly high on the player maybe, but given how much BOB likes his TEs I would say it is very unlikely this happens.

What I think is more probable, is that the Pats will keep Mallet for the time being and if Garappolo shows enough during camp, maybe they will try to trade Mallet around that time. With all the roster cuts and injuries there might be a market...

I don't think any rookie salary cap pool is going to be affected by adding a third round pick all that much.

And Mallett could be the issue. He might be fighting an one year extension or wanting more than the Texans are willing to offer.
I get your point, I just disagree. Players who have barely played an NFL snap being traded for a 3rd round pick and getting an opportunity to play don't hold deals up, IMO.
Mallett could easily figure out that was the only pick the texans had to trade so if your guess is correct, I doubt the trade ever happens because Mallett is then an idiot.

How can it not? You have to pay that guy and do not have the budget for it in your rookie pool.
What do you expect to happen? All of the other players take less than the market?

I get your point, I just disagree. Players who have barely played an NFL snap being traded for a 3rd round pick and getting an opportunity to play don't hold deals up, IMO.
Mallett could easily figure out that was the only pick the texans had to trade so if your guess is correct, I doubt the trade ever happens because Mallett is then an idiot.

Mallett may rather be a free agent next year than get traded this year and be locked up for the 2015 for cheap money. May not be the right move since if he succeeds as a starter, the Texans are likely to give him an extension anyway.

But there is no rush for Mallett to agree to an extension. He is trying to do what is best for him and giving in on a deal to get a deal done before the Texans drafted in the 3rd round wasn't in his best interest.

How can it not? You have to pay that guy and do not have the budget for it in your rookie pool.
What do you expect to happen? All of the other players take less than the market?

Because I don't think most teams use all of their rookie pool to begin with. I could be wrong.

I think a conditional 2015 pick for Mallett makes the most sense, have the compensation be related to his success. Something like:

Cut before start of the season- 6th
On the roster, doesn't start a game- 5th
Starts 1+ game- 4th
Starts 6+ games- 3rd
Starts 10+ games- 2nd
Starts 10+ games and Houston makes the playoffs- 1st

This way if Mallett is a bust Houston hasn't given up too much. If Mallett is a legitimate starter then they get fair compensation. If this were the case I would be feeling pretty good because Houston looks like a team that is going to rebound very well in 2014 and could definitely make the playoffs, especially if Mallett is a solid guy. Their defense could be elite and they have weapons on offense.

Mallett may rather be a free agent next year than get traded this year and be locked up for the 2015 for cheap money. May not be the right move since if he succeeds as a starter, the Texans are likely to give him an extension anyway.
That makes no sense. He would rather sit on the bench in 2014 so he can be a FA who has never played in the NFL (who no one has shown interest in other than the team that wants to trade for him) instead of having a chance to play in 2014 and 2015 and be a FA in 2016. Are you saying he wants to hide on the sidelines and hope someone pays him instead of getting on the field and proving he deserves to be?

But there is no rush for Mallett to agree to an extension. He is trying to do what is best for him and giving in on a deal to get a deal done before the Texans drafted in the 3rd round wasn't in his best interest.
Of course there is, because the trade window closed.
Please list all such trades that have ever happened with 3rd round picks or backup QBs who refuse to do what it takes to get a shot.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes