PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Mallett not going to be traded

Status
Not open for further replies.
if mallet wants to be a starter in the NFL, he takes the trade and signs the extension

if he is content with being a career back up, he rejects the extension

That makes no sense. He would rather sit on the bench in 2014 so he can be a FA who has never played in the NFL (who no one has shown interest in other than the team that wants to trade for him) instead of having a chance to play in 2014 and 2015 and be a FA in 2016. Are you saying he wants to hide on the sidelines and hope someone pays him instead of getting on the field and proving he deserves to be?

Of course there is, because the trade window closed.
Please list all such trades that have ever happened with 3rd round picks or backup QBs who refuse to do what it takes to get a shot.

I am just throwing reasons why he may not want to make the trade. It is in his best interest to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job. But him going to the Texans is no guarantee he will start and may end up holding a clipboard for two years instead of one before he hits free agency.

I think the trade window is more open right now than it was this time yesterday. The Texans now almost have to make this trade now that their Plan A is gone unless they think McCarrons (or someone else left) is as good as Garopollo and/or better than Mallett. Plus, going to my first point, Mallett is now in a position to know he has a good shot at being a starter. That gives him more leverage than what he had last night.

Before last night, the storyline was the Texans were going to trade for Mallett to at be a temporary starter until the guy they drafted was ready to start (as his most likely best case scenario) or insurance if the draft pick failed. He wasn't assured a starting job. Today, he is almost guaranteed one.

I gotta think that we aren't going into the season with Brady, Mallet and Garrappolo. I don't see the benefit of that. Maybe a trade to the Titans. Maybe the chiefs would be interested in trading for him and signing him to a longer deal. Alex smith is only under contract for another year.

I am just throwing reasons why he may not want to make the trade. It is in his best interest to go somewhere where he can compete for a starting job. But him going to the Texans is no guarantee he will start and may end up holding a clipboard for two years instead of one before he hits free agency.

I think the trade window is more open right now than it was this time yesterday. The Texans now almost have to make this trade now that their Plan A is gone unless they think McCarrons (or someone else left) is as good as Garopollo and/or better than Mallett. Plus, going to my first point, Mallett is now in a position to know he has a good shot at being a starter. That gives him more leverage than what he had last night.
Mallet is the only one that already knows the system. Of all the teams that need a QB, the Texans are clearly the best team.

if mallet wants to be a starter in the NFL, he takes the trade and signs the extension

if he is content with being a career back up, he rejects the extension

The thing is before last night, there was a third option of trading, signing an extension, and backing up Garoppolo instead of backing up Brady and hitting free agency a year earlier. I think until the Pats drafted Garoppolo, Mallett was never guaranteed a starting job. Just a shot to compete for the starting job. Now the Texans will probably need him to start at least until they get another QB in 2015.

Amendola and Mallet traded for Andre Johnson.

:) You don't get many basketball type trades but I like it. I'd imagine Brady & Johnson would like it.

Amendola and Mallet traded for Andre Johnson.

:) You don't get many basketball type trades but I like it. I'd imagine Brady & Johnson would like it.
I actually thought of a similar trade like that the other day. Although, as you said, those types of trades are rare.

Mallet is the only one that already knows the system. Of all the teams that need a QB, the Texans are clearly the best team.

Not saying he isn't but if the Texans drafted Garoppolo, he could have found himself in a Matt Flynn situation. Flynn was signed by the Seahawks to be the starter, but he lost the starting job before the season started to a rookie (Russell Wilson).

No, you are making something up to defend your conspiracy theory that the Texans took a TE in order to trade to us.

I think the trade window is more open right now than it was this time yesterday.
How can it be? They have nothing left to trade.

The Texans now almost have to make this trade now that their Plan A is gone unless they think McCarrons (or someone else left) is as good as Garopollo and/or better than Mallett. Plus, going to my first point, Mallett is now in a position to know he has a good shot at being a starter. That gives him more leverage than what he had last night.
Mallett has zero leverage, that is kind of the point. No one else wants him. You are acting like he is highly coveted.

Before last night, the storyline was the Texans were going to trade for Mallett to at be a temporary starter until the guy they drafted was ready to start (as his most likely best case scenario) or insurance if the draft pick failed. He wasn't assured a starting job. Today, he is almost guaranteed one.
You are just making things up now.

Not saying he isn't but if the Texans drafted Garoppolo, he could have found himself in a Matt Flynn situation. Flynn was signed by the Seahawks to be the starter, but he lost the starting job before the season started to a rookie (Russell Wilson).
Because Flynn sucks. If you are talking about Malletts motivation to cash in before everyone figures out he sucks, then your argument makes sense, otherwise its silly.
Why would Houston draft Garappolo in the second then trade for Mallett in the 3rd? That makes no sense. And they didn't take Garappolo, so he knew your scanario wouldn't happen.

Let's be realistic if JG or Mallett were forced to take over for Brady we would run a dumbed down offense anyway. Brady is the reason we do many of the things we do, his ability to make decisions at the line, change the tempo, etc. it took Brady years to develop that and no backup QB is going to be able to recreate that no matter how many years they have in the system.

No, you are making something up to defend your conspiracy theory that the Texans took a TE in order to trade to us.

Yes, because team doesn't acquire a QB that they anoint to be the starter and the future and have him end up holding a clipboard for an unheralded rookie. Right Matt Flynn?

How can it be? They have nothing left to trade.

I guess I missed the announcement that the 2014 draft is the last draft in NFL history. You do realize that the Texans can trade 2015 draft picks or players for Mallett?

Mallett has zero leverage, that is kind of the point. No one else wants him. You are acting like he is highly coveted.

Mallett has some leverage. We are talking about an one year extension, not a five year $100 million deal.

You are just making things up now.

I admit it. I am making stuff up. Again, Matt Flynn says hello. He is a perfect example of what I am saying and what could happen to Mallett. And all the reports from yesterday was that even though the Texans were interested in trading for Mallett, they were going to draft a QB high and they weren't looking at Mallett neccessarily as a long term solution.

Because Flynn sucks. If you are talking about Malletts motivation to cash in before everyone figures out he sucks, then your argument makes sense, otherwise its silly.
Why would Houston draft Garappolo in the second then trade for Mallett in the 3rd? That makes no sense. And they didn't take Garappolo, so he knew your scanario wouldn't happen.
What makes you so certain that Mallett sucks? I mean was he supposed to beat out Tom Brady?

Mallett's preseason numbers - 42/76 55.2% completion percentage, 447 yards, 3 touchdowns, 1 interception. He was sacked 1 time and did not fumble the ball. The completion percentage is not great but take a look at Brady's completion percentage in the first 6 weeks of the season throwing to those rookie WRs.

How do we know if Mallett is any better than Flynn?

I am saying Mallett may not have been convinced that he wasn't trading one clipboard for another. He would probably want some assurances in his contract to make the move that he doesn't become a backup in Houston and have to wait an extra year to make it to free agency. I would want the extension of the year to be starter money (at least low end starter money) so they will cut him if he is a back up.

I never said they were going to take Garappolo in the second. All indications is they planned to take him with the first selection of the third. The Pats beat them to the punch.

Last edited:
Let's be realistic if JG or Mallett were forced to take over for Brady we would run a dumbed down offense anyway. Brady is the reason we do many of the things we do, his ability to make decisions at the line, change the tempo, etc. it took Brady years to develop that and no backup QB is going to be able to recreate that no matter how many years they have in the system.
I think that after a year or two in the system, the backup QB is expected to be able to run the entire playbook. They may not ever get as much freedom with audibles etc, but they are expected to be able to run the offense. If they can not, they are replaced.

I think that after a year or two in the system, the backup QB is expected to be able to run the entire playbook. They may not ever get as much freedom with audibles etc, but they are expected to be able to run the offense. If they can not, they are replaced.
Oh don't get me wrong the experience will help for sure but it is not necessary if we are able to recoup something for Mallett we should roll the dice.

Yes, because team doesn't acquire a QB that they anoint to be the starter and the future and have him end up holding a clipboard for an unheralded rookie. Right Matt Flynn?
What does that have to do with whether the Texans picked a TE in the 3rd round because a team they may want to make a trade with likes him? You are reaching far.

I guess I missed the announcement that the 2014 draft is the last draft in NFL history. You do realize that the Texans can trade 2015 draft picks or players for Mallett?

In your scenario Mallett was being traded on draft day for an opportunity to start, and a 3rd round pick was on the table, and he said I won't extend my contract, because you can trade a pick next year for me. Thats just silly.

Mallett has some leverage. We are talking about an one year extension, not a five year $100 million deal.
Mallet has no leverage at all. The Patriots can just keep him on the bench and the Texans can play one of their other QBs or go get someone else.

I admit it. I am making stuff up. Again, Matt Flynn says hello. He is a perfect example of what I am saying and what could happen to Mallett. And all the reports from yesterday was that even though the Texans were interested in trading for Mallett, they were going to draft a QB high and they weren't looking at Mallett neccessarily as a long term solution.
Again, Matt Flynn has nothing to do with this.
Are you seriously telling me that you are considering 'reports' about Mallet being fact?
How do you distinguish which ones are facts and which are not when they all conflict with each other?

62+74-199=63

If you add JG and Mallett's picks together they still come up 63 picks short of Brady. If we can get anything for Mallett we should take it JG makes his presence makes him unnecessary. If you do not have confidence that JG can adequately backup Tom Brady as a rookie I have serious concerns about entrusting this same player to take over for the GOAT QB in 3-4 years. He would have to develop from not as good as Brian Hoyer to one of the best QBs in the game between now and then, JM and BB are good but I don't think they're that good.

How do we know if Mallett is any better than Flynn?
We don't but your argument is now hinging on the opinion that Mallet is afraid to get an opportunity to play.

I am saying Mallett may not have been convinced that he wasn't trading one clipboard for another. He would probably want some assurances in his contract to make the move that he doesn't become a backup in Houston and have to wait an extra year to make it to free agency. I would want the extension of the year to be starter money (at least low end starter money) so they will cut him if he is a back up.
He isn't getting assurances, He has not leverage. He is being offered a chance. He would be an idiot to refuse.

I never said they were going to take Garappolo in the second. All indications is they planned to take him with the first selection of the third. The Pats beat them to the punch.
All indications? Are you kidding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back