PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Edelman's back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Very happy to see this, JE is an elite punt returner, a good 3rd/4th receiver option, and has that fiery disposition that this team sometimes lacks. I'm glad he's back, hope he can finally put the injury bug to bed.

Hopefully Pats can land Sanders, Edelman signing at least has chemistry already with Brady and like an insurance to Amendola and when BB was flirtin with Welker out Edelman in maybe there was something there to that.

another good signing. Edelman is worth a roster spot for his special teams play alone. Don't discount the assistance he can give Amondola in learning the slot postion. At least someone on the practice field will have played it before.

signing could mean PATS have information that Steelers will match Sanders offer. Just seems strange they sign him soon after making the offer.

signing could mean PATS have information that Steelers will match Sanders offer. Just seems strange they sign him soon after making the offer.

well, maybe.... but I certainly think they could use both of them so I don't necessarily see the connection....

Thank God. After Wes and Woodhead left I was near binkie-less. I can actually understand those deals a little more than if they had allowed Edelman to escape. If he had left I would have had to join another team's board to explain to all the new Edelman haters why he is so good.

Glad to have him. I hope we get the guy who stepped-up at the start of last season and not the guy who fell back with a Tavon-esque finish.

Or the two things have absolutely nothing to do with each other.

Re: Sounds like Edelman's back

If true, that means he didn't resent the organization for not pegging him as Welker's heir apparent as some in the media had suggested.
No.
That and/or he didn't see the type of offers he was expecting in free agency (a lot players feel this same way).
Yes.

I love this. This guy means more to the Pats than to others. He will be here, happy, productive, versatile, and inexpensive for a long time.

Will be interesting to see the contract terms. His value is primarily as a PR, so hopefully he came pretty cheap.

Glad to have him. I hope we get the guy who stepped-up at the start of last season and not the guy who fell back with a Tavon-esque finish.

I'm not getting this comment.

1. Edelman had a joke of a beginning to his season. His main production came around Thanksgiving time when there were a handful of games left, so it was much closer to the end than the beginning.

2. Tavon Wilson had a fine end of the season. His struggles were primarily in week 6 vs SEA, but then he made the same mistake in week 7 vs STL on the first drive when he got beat. That however, shouldn't define his season, especially for a rookie. Belichick gave him plenty of snaps after that and he was certainly a contributor to our secondary down the stretch in the specialty role. The word is that Belichick likes him enough to start opposite of McCourty this season, so I doubt he could have had that bad of an end to his year if that were the case.

I doubt the 2 have anything to do with each other.

If NE really wanted to make Sanders an offer that PIT couldn't match, they'd have structured things differently on at least a 2 yr deal by frontloading the majority of the money.

I don't think that would have put them in a bad situation even if Sanders didn't produce enough to their liking this year, after all they're already gambling a ton by risking a 3rd round draft pick.

We will have to see if Sanders even comes here or not. I have my doubts.

Was kind of a no-brainer to bring him back. You get good depth at WR and an elite PR.

I'm not getting this comment.

1. Edelman had a joke of a beginning to his season. His main production came around Thanksgiving time when there were a handful of games left, so it was much closer to the end than the beginning.

2. Tavon Wilson had a fine end of the season. His struggles were primarily in week 6 vs SEA, but then he made the same mistake in week 7 vs STL on the first drive when he got beat. That however, shouldn't define his season, especially for a rookie. Belichick gave him plenty of snaps after that and he was certainly a contributor to our secondary down the stretch in the specialty role. The word is that Belichick likes him enough to start opposite of McCourty this season, so I doubt he could have had that bad of an end to his year if that were the case.

It wasn't always perfect, but Edelman had 10 catches for 87 yards and one touchdown through the first 10 quarters of the season before he injured his hand against the Ravens on Sept. 23. At that point, he was on pace for a solid 64-catch season and the coaching staff's view of his value was reflected in his playing time.

But after he was sidelined for the next three games because of injury, he never truly found his groove again. Edelman played six games upon his return, totaling 11 catches for 150 yards and 2 touchdowns, and averaging 27 offensive snaps per game over that span -- a noticeable drop.

A bit more on Edelman's return - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Wilson grabbed a starting slot before the debacle in Seattle and relinquishing to....gulp....Gregory after which he was relegated to the dime package where he failed to distinguish himself.

Now we have two Premiere return men.. which is a very good thing to have. And Edelman was getting hot on offense around Turkey day.. I want to say "weapon" on O.

I do agree if it was between Abraham and Alexander I would go Abraham.

No thanks. I'd rather draft a guy like Justin Hunter. His knees aren't ready to explode out of his legs at any moment.

Doubt we could still afford him if Sanders goes through - and if it's a choice between him and Abraham, put me down for Abraham.

If Sanders doesn't fly through, then I agree on going after DA - I think they would still have time? maybe that's why they didn't wait until the very last minute on Sanders...

I do not follow the college game. Could someone please tell me what defensive position these potential draft choices play?

I do not follow the college game. Could someone please tell me what defensive position these potential draft choices play?

Well John Abraham last played DE for the Atlanta Falcons and Justin Hunter was a WR for the Tennessee Volunteers.

A bit more on Edelman's return - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Wilson grabbed a starting slot before the debacle in Seattle and relinquishing to....gulp....Gregory after which he was relegated to the dime package where he failed to distinguish himself.

I can appreciate the fact that he may have been on a pace for 64 catches after 2 games, but most of us remember his first 2 games as a pretty big failure when they attempted to use him instead of Welker. The majority of his big plays and production were against IND and the NYJ on 11/18 and 11/22.

Either way, it hardly matters and I don't see either one of us necessarily being totally right or totally wrong. I get your point, and I hope you are correct that he produces more and stays healthy.

You may be using sarcasm to show displeasure with potentially using offensive picks in the higher rounds of the draft, if not here's a breakdown:

The only real college player they were discussing was higher round pick WR Justin Hunter from the University of Tennessee. He is a possibility for taking a WR with our first pick.

The other players were (DA=Danario Alexander) another restricted free agent WR who is currently on the SD Chargers. Many linked him as a possibility along with Emanual Sanders, both of which are restricted free agent WR's.

The other player is NFL veteran John Abraham, who is the passrushing DE that was brought in a few weeks ago for a visit. He along with Freeny are the top 2 passrushing choices remaining on the free agent market.

Was kind of a no-brainer to bring him back. You get good depth at WR and an elite PR.

He could also act as a backup for the slot/shorter passing role should Amendola go down for a handful of games too, which is a good thing. I like having him here as a backup to that role.

Like you said, I'd much rather see him returning punts too, and he can even return kickoffs if L.Washington is ineffective or hurt. Good signing all around, actually wish it would have been for more than a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft