PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Report: Edelman's back

Status
Not open for further replies.
He could also act as a backup for the slot/shorter passing role should Amendola go down for a handful of games too, which is a good thing. I like having him here as a backup to that role.

Like you said, I'd much rather see him returning punts too, and he can even return kickoffs if L.Washington is ineffective or hurt. Good signing all around, actually wish it would have been for more than a year.

He's also a backup slot CB and a backup to the backup QB. If he ever kicks a field goal they'll have to retire his number! ;)

He's also a backup slot CB and a backup to the backup QB. If he ever kicks a field goal they'll have to retire his number! ;)

And backup DB...

I do not follow the college game. Could someone please tell me what defensive position these potential draft choices play?

The Patriots still need to draft a WR, maybe two.

The Patriots still need to draft a WR, maybe two.

Yes, to replace Mike Jenkins and maybe Donald Jones. Didn't we have another Donald WR FA who didn't work out so well?

I don't want Edelman returning kicks. Other than that, I agree with all that you said. I agree that a longer contract would ahve been better for the patriots. Backup slot receiver and punt returner are important roles.

He could also act as a backup for the slot/shorter passing role should Amendola go down for a handful of games too, which is a good thing. I like having him here as a backup to that role.

Like you said, I'd much rather see him returning punts too, and he can even return kickoffs if L.Washington is ineffective or hurt. Good signing all around, actually wish it would have been for more than a year.

Re: Report: Edelman's back

wait...wassamatta with his back???

I don't want Edelman returning kicks. Other than that, I agree with all that you said. I agree that a longer contract would ahve been better for the patriots. Backup slot receiver and punt returner are important roles.

I don't necessarily want him returning kickoffs either, but if Washington goes down he's probably not a bad choice if they don't want to risk a starter like McCourty etc--who certainly do any better after his early TD return.

For his career, he has about a 22 ypa on kickoff returns, which certainly isn't great, but it's a role that he can definitely take over for a handful of returns depending upon Belichick's preference and the situation.

While we may not agree, I believe that Belichick has chosen in the past to have McCourty return kicks, even when Edelman was available. Do I have a faulty memory on this issue?

I don't necessarily want him returning kickoffs either, but if Washington goes down he's probably not a bad choice if they don't want to risk a starter like McCourty etc--who certainly do any better after his early TD return.

For his career, he has about a 22 ypa on kickoff returns, which certainly isn't great, but it's a role that he can definitely take over for a handful of returns depending upon Belichick's preference and the situation.

While we may not agree, I believe that Belichick has chosen in the past to have McCourty return kicks, even when Edelman was available. Do I have a faulty memory on this issue?

CONCUR. - McCourty did all the KO returns 2nd half of year last-year.

Personally with our track history on DB injuries I would prefer NOT to see a DB back there doing that, but that said....

PR and KOR duties are substantially differnet skills. We went through this ad nauseum at some point in a thread last year. RARELY can a player do BOTH well (most returners can only do one or the other well and many players cant do either well). (IMO) Edelman should NOT EVER be put back there for KOs.

Taking advantage of a reply to add this earlier one too:
mgteich said:
I didn't read you post carefully enough. My bad.

To be clear, I DON'T think that the wide receiver corps is set, whether PITT matches or not. Sanders and Edelman signed 1-year offers. We are very likely to draft a wide receiver.

AGAIN CONCUR: BB track history is when he identifies an area of need is to throw 3 different pieces of meat at the wall -wait to see what sticks. I think usually 3 of following 4 - Expensive FAs, rebounding-cheap FAs, 1 high-draft pick and some UDFAs, or multiple lower picks (+UDFAs). It seems likely this year he is identifying wr as an area of need.

Amendola is the $ FA, Sanders-D Jones the cheap FAs, and Pats dont have a lot of picks this year - so the multiple picks solution seems unlikely. I expect a 1 or 2 to go toward a wr this year. Most likely a 1 traded down to a 2 (LOL) ;).

Edes contract is incentive laden

Closer look at Edelman's contract - New England Patriots Blog - ESPN Boston

Contract cut in half if he goes on IR. This needs to be a new Patriots standard. :)

Gets $ incentives for each increased decade of catches

1 year, max value of $1.15 million (no guaranteed money)

Base salary: $715,000 (This includes a split, which means if Edelman were to go on injured reserve, his base salary would be reduced to $383,000)

Workout bonus: $50,000

Incentives tied to receptions: . amounts Edelman would receive if he catches a certain number of passes:
30 receptions: $30,000
40 receptions: $70,000
50 receptions: $120,000
60 receptions: $180,000
70 receptions: $250,000

Contract cut in half if he goes on IR. ...

I'm amazed that any pro sport CBA allows for this. Totally makes sense for Edelman though. I thought he was playing some dynamic football last year before he got hurt; here's hoping he gets to full salary and most of his incentives.

I'm amazed that any pro sport CBA allows for this. Totally makes sense for Edelman though. I thought he was playing some dynamic football last year before he got hurt; here's hoping he gets to full salary and most of his incentives.

Page 2454 section c ii of the CBA has a clause allowing this, commonly referred to as the Glass IR Dowling clause...

Word up is that bastid Kraft had it put in at the last minute

Now we have two Premiere return men.. which is a very good thing to have. And Edelman was getting hot on offense around Turkey day.. I want to say "weapon" on O.

Awful special teams has been a problem for a couple years, having 2 dynamic returners is going to be great hopefully we can see better field position this year.

Page 2454 section c ii of the CBA has a clause allowing this, commonly referred to as the Glass IR Dowling clause...

Word up is that bastid Kraft had it put in at the last minute

While I like the snark, I just want to point out that this is NOT new to the CBA.

For example, the Pats had a split clause in Junior Seau's contract (RIP). That said, they were so impressed by what he brought to the team that they tore it up (i.e., even if you go on IR, we'll still pay you your full salary).

Also, to be clear, remember those salaries are pro-rated: if a player with a split salary goes on IR in week 15, he gets his full salary for the first 14 weeks, and then the IR salary for the remaining three weeks.

Awful special teams has been a problem for a couple years, having 2 dynamic returners is going to be great hopefully we can see better field position this year.

Actually, Football Outsiders would disagree with you. . . . all problems aside, they still rank the Pats in the top 5 ST units last year.

Actually, Football Outsiders would disagree with you. . . . all problems aside, they still rank the Pats in the top 5 ST units last year.

You know what I meant I'm sure their tackling was all top notch. The return game has been puke worthy the last few years all you need is the eyeball test to tell you that.

And for those BB=God people him bringing in Washington is confirmation that he thought the same.

So glad Edelperson is back in the fold he coud easily post Lloyd's 2012 stats "IF" healthy.:cool:

Page 2454 section c ii of the CBA has a clause allowing this, commonly referred to as the Glass IR Dowling clause... :rofl:

Word up is that xxxx Kraft had it put in at the last minute

LOL, just had to xxxx out the one offending word.

Only one problem (from player's perspective) on this type clause when dealing with Pats:

BB has used the IR soemtimes as his player stash for next season tool. He has IRd some guys who could have come back.

Guys with 4-6 week injuries went willingly on IR at game 4-8 as a 'favor' to the team so they could field the best 53 man roster - 45 man game-day team that they could. If they are going to take a 50% pay cut to do BB a favor; that wont work too often. Course they can always do the Seau thing as another poster mentioned and tear up the amendment before the Ir - circumstances dependent.

So team/nfl has all the angles covered and of course D. Smith did a WONDERFUL job for the Playa's in negotiating this CBA.

You know what I meant I'm sure their tackling was all top notch. The return game has been puke worthy the last few years all you need is the eyeball test to tell you that.

Special Teams statistics are based primarily on how well the returns put teams in position to score, adjusted for how good/awful the opposing team's STs are.

All in all, as "puke worthy" as they may have been, the Patriots' kick return team was a net positive, and middle-of-the-pack (not #1, but nowhere near #32).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes