PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats are in contact with Jason Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss: Pats are in contact with Jason Taylor

I've been assuming that the delay on anyone signing Taylor is, and has always been about giving him and whichever team he signs with a face-saving way to allow him to miss off-season work outs. Parcells was supposedly not too happy about it, and it's not exactly BB's style.

So I've sort of assumed that some time toward the beginning of summer, Taylor would sign late, as off-season work outs were tailing off, and there would be no ultimatums or discipline issues to address with other veterans who were angry about special treatment.

But I've also assumed 100 percent that it was fully understood that Taylor already knew exactly what he was going to do, and so did the teams at issue. It was all just a bit of a ruse to let everyone save face about the guy missing offseason programs. That said, as I've publicly said here repeatedly, I've believed that his going back to Miami was a done deal, and that he knew it and Miami knew it. All of the sudden, I'm not so sure for two reasons -- 1) Reiss is no shlub, and 2) the Patriots having a wink-wink deal in place for Taylor would sure explain the draft and giving away Hobbs to clear another $2.5 million.

I agree. Jason Taylor to New England seems almost a lock at this point. The break up between Taylor and Parcells was not friendly and although they supposably have mended their rift, I think there still may be bad blood.

Not to mention the Joey Porter angle. New England seems to be the most likely destination.

If he does come here, I have a good feeling about it. Can't really explain it, just get a feeling he's going to do very well.

Check this out from today's Miami Herald: Dolphins still mulling Jason Taylor scenario

A conversation earlier this week between the the Dolphins and Jason Taylor's representative was polite and inconclusive and so it is correct to say the team is not aggressively chasing the former Pro Bowl player now. But the Dolphins also are not willing to fully close the door on the possibility of signing Taylor, a club source said Thursday night.

Bill Parcells has studied tape of every single snap Taylor played in 2008 and came away believing there is still gas in JT's tank -- just not at the same high mark as a couple of years ago. Taylor has indeed diminished, according to the Dolphins source, so there is a serious question about how big of an upgrade he would be over say, Cameron Wake.

There are other things to think about as well. The Dolphins want to be absolutely certain they make a correct call on Taylor because he is something of a gamble for them. If they sign him and he proves drastically diminished in training camp, the team is concerned about embarrassing him and offending its fan base by having to cut him.

At the end of the article the columnist links to PFT, where Mike Florio is of the opinion that "the Dolphins are feigning interest in Taylor for the sole reason of driving up the price the Patriots ultimately will have to pay."

New England is really the only team that makes sense from any perspective that doesn't involve coasting for a season to collect a paycheck. And that, he could have done in Washington for the big coin.

Last edited:

New England is really the only team that makes sense from any perspective that doesn't involve coasting for a season to collect a paycheck. And that, he could have done in Washington for the big coin.

I would add family to that, but otherwise I agree.

Check this out from today's Miami Herald: Dolphins still mulling Jason Taylor scenario

A conversation earlier this week between the the Dolphins and Jason Taylor's representative was polite and inconclusive and so it is correct to say the team is not aggressively chasing the former Pro Bowl player now. But the Dolphins also are not willing to fully close the door on the possibility of signing Taylor, a club source said Thursday night.

Bill Parcells has studied tape of every single snap Taylor played in 2008 and came away believing there is still gas in JT's tank -- just not at the same high mark as a couple of years ago. Taylor has indeed diminished, according to the Dolphins source, so there is a serious question about how big of an upgrade he would be over say, Cameron Wake.

There are other things to think about as well. The Dolphins want to be absolutely certain they make a correct call on Taylor because he is something of a gamble for them. If they sign him and he proves drastically diminished in training camp, the team is concerned about embarrassing him and offending its fan base by having to cut him.

At the end of the article the columnist links to PFT, where Mike Florio is of the opinion that "the Dolphins are feigning interest in Taylor for the sole reason of driving up the price the Patriots ultimately will have to pay."

Not an upgrade to Cameron Wake?!? Come on! I know the guy was a stud in the CFL, but it is the CFL. The guy failed to even make it into training camp for the Giants in 2005 and no team picked him up. I know there have been a few offensive players who came from the CFL and played well (Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Flutie, Theismann), but I can't think of a single defensive player who has made the transition from the CFL to the NFL.

Also, for those that may have missed it, here is an article from yesterday's Sun-Sentinel: Patriots have strong interest in Jason Taylor; Miami Dolphins not serious

• "The Miami Dolphins don't have much interest in re-signing Jason Taylor."
  • "The Dolphins have not begun serious negotiations with him."
  • "Taylor is expected to make a decision in the next week or two."

So where does he play...rolb, lolb? Is he capable of being a 3 down player?

Not an upgrade to Cameron Wake?!? Come on! I know the guy was a stud in the CFL, but it is the CFL. The guy failed to even make it into training camp for the Giants in 2005 and no team picked him up. I know there have been a few offensive players who came from the CFL and played well (Warren Moon, Jeff Garcia, Flutie, Theismann), but I can't think of a single defensive player who has made the transition from the CFL to the NFL.
Yeah, that comparison had me scratching my head too, and makes me wonder how credible that columnist is.

Yeah, that comparison had me scratching my head too, and makes me wonder how credible that columnist is.

It's Armando. He's a ridiculous homer and Wake's already there. If Taylor were to sign with the Dolphins, he'd suddenly become the favorite for DPOY and MVP.

Difficult to say, but my guess would be he'd see about 50-60% of the snaps. He'd probably sit on first down, and 2nd/3rd and short-middle. But any down where there's a decent chance of a pass, I'd be surprised if he wasn't out for all of them. He's a rusher, and has decent hands in coverage (though as a DE, interceptions are more about the QB being surprised that you're in coverage).

I think he'd play some time with his hand down as well, again on pure passing situations.

He and Thomas would line up on opposite OLB spots. He'd be fine as a 3 down player if he is still most of the player he was before last season.

It's Armando. He's a ridiculous homer and Wake's already there. If Taylor were to sign with the Dolphins, he'd suddenly become the favorite for DPOY and MVP.
Thanks for the info; I vaguely recognized the writer's name but I couldn't remember anything about him.

I also found this comment from one of the paper's readers, that more or less repeats what has previously been said here about Taylor returning to Miami:

The reason JT was off last year is because he was playing out of position. Washington put him opposite the tight end on the left side, the same position Matt Roth plays. He wore down quickly and got injured.

Joey Porter had the same thing happen to him his first year in Miami and he played lousy. Last year he was back on the weak side and excelled.

If JT comes here it will be to play weak side. And herein lies the problem.
The phins have Joey Porter, his eventual replacement Cameron Wake, his backup Charlie Anderson, and perhaps even Eric Walden dividing snaps at that position. If JT came in, he would be taking snaps away from all of these players. And he will only be here for this year. Wake, Anderson and Walden will be here long term.

On top of all that, Parcells & Co. like to get players to come in on the upside of their careers. JT is definately not one of those.

Overall, I would say he does not make sense. I would be suprised if the phins sign him.

Difficult to say, but my guess would be he'd see about 50-60% of the snaps. He'd probably sit on first down, and 2nd/3rd and short-middle. But any down where there's a decent chance of a pass, I'd be surprised if he wasn't out for all of them. He's a rusher, and has decent hands in coverage (though as a DE, interceptions are more about the QB being surprised that you're in coverage).

I think he'd play some time with his hand down as well, again on pure passing situations.

Somebody will get stuck on the field druing the Colts/Dolphins hurry up offense. If Taylor comes on board it'll be him or Woods.

The thing is that I have heard from other national guys on places like Sirius NFL Radio talking about this guy as having the potential to be the next Jason Taylor. I just don't get it.

I am not as familiar with the CFL, but you gotta think that the wider field may give edge rushers an advantage that they can line up farther off the ball meaning that either the o-line has to thin out and not double team the edge rusher as much or require the FB or RB to pick up the edge rusher more. If that is true, rushing the passer looks to me easier in the CFL.

No. I would say there are several year this decade alone that you could argue had a better offseason:

In 2003, the Pats added Rodney, Tyrone Poole (outstanding the the 2003 season anyway), Rosie Colvin, and Russ Hochstein. They traded for Big Ted Washington. The draft produced Ty Warren, Eugene Wilson (good for the first two years of his career), Asante Samuel, Dan Koppen, and Tully Banta Cain.

In 2001, the Pats added Je'rod Cherry, Mike Compton, Mark Edwards, Larry Izzo,David Patton, Roman Phifer, Anthony Pleasant, Antwain Smith, Mike Vrabel, Ken Walter, and Bryan Cox through free agency. They also drafted Seymour and Light.

Until this draft class shows they can do anything and the free agent signings show that they aren't washed up and/or more than a one year stopgap, I think it is way premature to label this offseason as the best in Patriots' history.

Best offseason IMO because we won consecutive SBs with those players being key contributers.

This class would need to be key contributers and win at least 2 SBs to be considered as successful and win at least 3 SBs to surpass that class. (That's some high standard:p)

Somebody will get stuck on the field druing the Colts/Dolphins hurry up offense. If Taylor comes on board it'll be him or Woods.

That's alright with me. I just meant in general, that would be the plan going in.

All the media guys down there are huge homers. I lived down there for 8 years and listening to a Dolphins game on the radio (Jim Mandich) was like listening to Tommy Heinsohn do a Celtics game.

He and Thomas would line up on opposite OLB spots. He'd be fine as a 3 down player if he is still most of the player he was before last season.

That would be terrific. I estimate his main weaknesses to be holding the edge and stamina. Would you concur? Also doesn't Thomas play primarily on the right or did they often flip him?

All the media guys down there are huge homers. I lived down there for 8 years and listening to a Dolphins game on the radio (Jim Mandich) was like listening to Tommy Heinsohn do a Celtics game.

"Mad Dog" is more than a little over the top, no question. Not all the media were homers, though, although you're not far off. Goldberg was more of a straight shooter, although he was a cantankerous bastard who rubbed a lot of people the wrong way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft