PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss: Pats are in contact with Jason Taylor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Mike Reiss: Pats are in contact with Jason Taylor

That would be terrific. I estimate his main weaknesses to be holding the edge and stamina. Would you concur? Also doesn't Thomas play primarily on the right or did they often flip him?

Taylor's main weaknesses right now are that he sucks and doesn't care about football anymore.

Taylor's main weaknesses right now are that he sucks and doesn't care about football anymore.

Wow, with analytical skills like that, you could work for ESPN!

Wow, with analytical skills like that, you could work for ESPN!

Right, almost as good as the folks that think Taylor will be a Patriot because of the manlove he has for Tom. If they even decide to make an offer, it will be for very small dollars, and only because the many "moving parts" of the Peppers deal fail to come together. There's no doubt in my mind that he will reject such an offer.

Oh. Do you think he'll suck for the rest of his carreer or did he always suck. Do you like Woods better?

I agree. Jason Taylor to New England seems almost a lock at this point. The break up between Taylor and Parcells was not friendly and although they supposably have mended their rift, I think there still may be bad blood.

I've called it a lock to NE for some time. Miami, if anything, is trying to assure he costs more against the cap for the Pats, but feigning interest. They ran him out of town big time, and begging him to return seems fishy. Taylor and BB have long admired each other. Taylor and Brady have a friendship. Taylor wants a ring! It will happen, and yes the Patriots will be hard to beat.

Oh. Do you think he'll suck for the rest of his carreer or did he always suck. Do you like Woods better?

No, he was a hell of a player - when he WAS healthy, when he WAS in his prime, and when he WAS playing in a different system. I don' t like Woods as a pass rusher any better than I like Taylor, but adding crap to crap just makes a bigger pile of crap.

No, he was a hell of a player - when he WAS healthy, when he WAS in his prime, and when he WAS playing in a different system. I don' t like Woods as a pass rusher any better than I like Taylor, but adding crap to crap just makes a bigger pile of crap.

I think that if healthy Taylor would be at the very least better than either Woods (hell I'm better than Woods) or TBC.

But I love the crap ontop of crap quote, that is classic stuff!!!

The guy had one bad season when he had to deal with a potentially career-threatening injury. He had 4 straight Pro Bowl seasons prior to that, including an 11 sack season the year before the trade.

The guy had one bad season when he had to deal with a potentially career-threatening injury. He had 4 straight Pro Bowl seasons prior to that, including an 11 sack season the year before the trade.

People forget, doctors told him he was close to having his leg amputated. It's not like he went to washington, got soap in his eye and only had 3.5 sacks because of it.

The man nearly LOST his leg.

I've called it a lock to NE for some time. Miami, if anything, is trying to assure he costs more against the cap for the Pats, but feigning interest. They ran him out of town big time, and begging him to return seems fishy. Taylor and BB have long admired each other. Taylor and Brady have a friendship. Taylor wants a ring! It will happen, and yes the Patriots will be hard to beat.

It is Taylor, more specifically his agent, that is feigning other team's interest in him. The Dolphins may be playing along with this somewhat, but all this talk of interest from Miami and Tampa Bay is just a bunch of smoke being blown around by his agent to try to extract more dollars from the tight wad Patriots because JT wasn't completely happy with their offer.

The Pats, having extended their offer to JT, are now waiting for his agent to stop the showmanship. They are unlikely to increase the offer given their cap constraints.

If the Pats are unable to get JT at the price they are comfortable with, then the Julius Peppers talk will heat up. This is the plan B though because the deal won't get done without us losing a key player in the trade.

Jason Taylor and the Pats

My feeling is that signing with us should be a no brainer for him. He has money. He has fame. He does not have a championship. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to scan our roster and realize we are clear favorites to go deeply into the playoffs and beyond, especially if the teams we are competing against for his services are the Bucs and Fins. No disrespect, but the Bucs are without a QB (Garcia gone), and the Fins, though competitive, are a tier below the Pats (assuming health at the key positions).

I also thought that JT to the Pats was a done deal before the draft, the fact that there was a lack of linebackers drafted by NE gave the impression that they had something in place for either Taylor or Peppers and Taylor was always the obvious choice.

Difficult to say, but my guess would be he'd see about 50-60% of the snaps. He'd probably sit on first down, and 2nd/3rd and short-middle. But any down where there's a decent chance of a pass, I'd be surprised if he wasn't out for all of them. He's a rusher, and has decent hands in coverage (though as a DE, interceptions are more about the QB being surprised that you're in coverage).

I think he'd play some time with his hand down as well, again on pure passing situations.

He would definitely be in all of our pass defense sub-packages (nickel, dime, etc.). I also don't think Belichick would take a chance on him if he doesn't think he can play the run as well. It wouldn't be ideal if all he does is rush the pass. Teams could just run when we expect them to pass and pass when we expect them to run. Our defense have been great when teams don't know what we are doing or where the pressure was coming from. And now, it seems like we have the athletes in our secondary to take chances so I would expect significantly more pressure this year. And if Jason comes on board, Bill's gonna have a lot of pieces to play with.:)

He would definitely be in all of our pass defense sub-packages (nickel, dime, etc.). I also don't think Belichick would take a chance on him if he doesn't think he can play the run as well. It wouldn't be ideal if all he does is rush the pass. Teams could just run when we expect them to pass and pass when we expect them to run. Our defense have been great when teams don't know what we are doing or where the pressure was coming from. And now, it seems like we have the athletes in our secondary to take chances so I would expect significantly more pressure this year. And if Jason comes on board, Bill's gonna have a lot of pieces to play with.:)

Oh definitely, I don't think Taylor is really a liability against the run, it's just not his strength for sure. BB likes to play people to their strengths, and he might feel that Woods provides a better edge on running downs than Taylor does.

As for teams running when we're playing the pass, that's fine with me. If it's a situation where we're expecting pass (like a 3rd and 15), and they run, I'm very confident in the tackling ability of our sub packages. Mayo is still there, at least one of our great D-Line is still there, and I believe our secondary is a better tackling secondary than we had last year. If they want to try to trick us and run for long first downs, I'll take that matchup every time.

Agreed though, the combinations they'd be able to throw out there are making me drool :)

Taylor has lost a step, clearly.

If he comes anywhere close to Mike Vrabel money, I don't want him.

If he comes on the real cheap, then maybe.

But I don't want him impeding the progress of our young guys at the position.

Yeah, I'm all for bringing JT in--I hope it works out. I agree he'd probably be in for the sub packages.

OT: Condon, I owe you somewhat of an apology for my assessment of P.Harvin not going as high as he did, or my thoughts of BB not willing to take a chance on him. We'll never know if Childress is for real, or if BB really was gonna take him at 23, but I know you were high on him. So good call, at any rate, FWIW.

I also thought that JT to the Pats was a done deal before the draft, the fact that there was a lack of linebackers drafted by NE gave the impression that they had something in place for either Taylor or Peppers and Taylor was always the obvious choice.

Agreed. The total lack of OLB help in the draft seems to indicate the Pats feel OK with tha position going into 09. And, to be honest, I am not sure that A.Thomas' "OK" sidekick is currently on the squad. Makes more sense to go with Thomas than TBC & Woods (though i don't think these 2 would be a disaster, but... they are who we thought they were).

I dont think BB is using JT to pressure the Panthers or JP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back