PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reiss on NESN

Status
Not open for further replies.
JR4 said:
This is distrubing. What you seem to be saying is Branch wants to get a
contract but BB/SP aren't offering anything yet. You seem to mean that Branch not only wants a
contract but wants it NOW and is ticked because BB/SP are not saying anything.

This would fit with Branch's comment before the Seymour contract. He made
reference that his contract would come after the Seymour contract if there
was enough left(jokingly). But joking aside ... he really expected something
and now Seymour's contract has been done for over a month he may be
getting ticked.

But what's BB/SP thinking? Do they not want to offer a big contract to Branch?

Do they think maybe if they wait a year Jackson will be the money man and
if Branch becomes the #2 then he shouldn't get #1 money?
We think how could they not value Branch as a #1? But if they consider his
injury history ... maybe they just don't think he is worth BIG #1 WR money.

If Jackson and Cadwell work out real well ... maybe they just let Branch
go to the highest bidder next year.
But what about Branch this year? He's no dummy ... he'll know what's
going down. So Maybe a hold out ... like Seymour ... is exactly his only
option to try and get something done before BB/SP findout they can go
another route ... get value and ... still have a great receiving core.

This is a business after all. :(

This situation is disturbing. We all really like Deion and hope that he signs on - but it has to be at a price that will not be more than his true value to the team. That value is determined somewhat by the market, but more so by BB/SP. I just think we are a much better team with Branch than without him - especialy this year (I know he is under contract this year).
Hopefully it all works out with Branch, Koppen, Samuels and Graham

Last edited by a moderator:
fgssand said:
This situation is disturbing. We all really like Deion and hope that he signs on - but it has to be at a price that will not be more than his true value to the team.
I think it's very unlikely to end well. Top WR are getting huge contracts and I don't think Branch will get one from the Patriots. My guess is they'll tweak his deal, like with Seymour last year, to make him happy enough to play this year. And it'll probably be his last with us :( Hopefully we'll franchise and trade him, though, as opposed to letting him walk.

Last edited:
PatsFanInVa said:
By the same principal, of course, it's a tad iffy to introduce that minor area of risk by saying "I knew this a month ago," even after the fact. I mean, what's the point? Anybody can say after the fact "I knew this a month ago." And we've just stipulated you can't throw out anything new real-time... Which leaves us with statements supported by "trust me, I've got a source. Take my word for all of this. Remember that hernia nobody knew about? I did even though I didn't say so."
I knew last month that you were going to say this.

BelichickFan said:
I think it's very unlikely to end well. Top WR are getting huge contracts and I don't think Branch will get one from the Patriots. My guess is they'll tweak his deal, like with Seymour last year, to make him happy enough to play this year. And it'll probably be his last with us :( Hopefully we'll franchise and trade him, though, as opposed to letting him walk.

You could very well be right on - this is somewhat of a change in things now. We used to be able to redo the deals as the player went into his last year. Now, all we can do is sweeten that last year to keep the player reasonably happy and satisfied.

There is only so much cash to go around and I trust BB/SP know exactly how to best spend it. It's just that I really like Deion as a player and he does have that special reciever - QB relationship with Brady. They know each others moves so well.

fgssand said:
Look at it this way though and make up your own minds, what do I possibly have to gain by discussing what I come to find out?
I don't know what you might gain or what you are giving.

I don't recall that you added to anything about Brady's hernia? Only that you just now said, "I knew about it a month before you guys." I have no idea what you could possibly gain by saying that, or how it added in any way to the discussion.

You have to admit that from another's point of view, having someone say, "I know stuff but won't say anything about it until after the media reports it, and then I will tell you it is true and I knew it a long time ago" is pretty weird.

spacecrime said:
I don't know what you might gain or what you are giving.

I don't recall that you added to anything about Brady's hernia? Only that you just now said, "I knew about it a month before you guys." I have no idea what you could possibly gain by saying that, or how it added in any way to the discussion.

You have to admit that from another's point of view, having someone say, "I know stuff but won't say anything about it until after the media reports it, and then I will tell you it is true and I knew it a long time ago" is pretty weird.

That's not exactly true, I am able to add to a story, confirm, update etc etc. If you look closely on both the Brady post I made (go back and dig it out) and also what I wrote about Branch I did just that.

spacecrime said:
I knew last month that you were going to say this.

This post is pure deja vu for me, of course.
------------------------------------------
The trouble with information flow is that, by using any information in your possession, you immediately give others information, the minimum extent of which is that you tell that you have the information.

This applies, of course, to relaying the information early, such as if you said on Christmas day, "HEY! MY SOURCE SAYS WE ARE GETTING MARTIN GRAMMATICA!" This would be unfortunate both for the Pats, and for your source, were it to be acknowledged that s/he relayed that information.

It's a subtler give-away to say "I KNEW EARLIER THAN YOU GUYS BECAUSE OF MY SOURCE," but the give-away still exists. I think that's why Spacecrime asks what you could have to gain by telling us after the fact how in the know you are.

It's not that it's not appreciated, I just cannot make sense of a claim to inside access, coupled with a claim of sensitivity to team well-being as regards that inside access. If you can confirm, deny, etc. etc. etc., and we are to take your opinion as somehow qualitatively better due to special inside access, well we're just the first ones who get to see the "leak" from the Pats organization. In truth, I'm not sure I'm so news hungry that I would want the leaked information that can only hurt the team, if we give any credence to BB's evident beliefs as regards information flow.

So for now I'll just consider posts like these to be controlled outlets for the organization; obviously, the team has designated your source as a good outlet for leaking info they do not want to come out and say in the media, but which they would want circulating in the fan base, whether because it's true, or because it's convenient for a given rumor to get out.

By the way OPUS DEI is an anagram for OEDIPUS.

Okay a little off topic there. But I'm pretty sure everything has something to do with the Templars,

PFnV

PatsFanInVa said:
The trouble with information flow is that, by using any information in your possession, you immediately give others information, the minimum extent of which is that you tell that you have the information.

It's not that it's not appreciated, I just cannot make sense of a claim to inside access, coupled with a claim of sensitivity to team well-being as regards that inside access. If you can confirm, deny, etc. etc. etc., and we are to take your opinion as somehow qualitatively better due to special inside access, well we're just the first ones who get to see the "leak" from the Pats organization. In truth, I'm not sure I'm so news hungry that I would want the leaked information that can only hurt the team, if we give any credence to BB's evident beliefs as regards information flow.

So for now I'll just consider posts like these to be controlled outlets for the organization; obviously, the team has designated your source as a good outlet for leaking info they do not want to come out and say in the media, but which they would want circulating in the fan base, whether because it's true, or because it's convenient for a given rumor to get out.

PFnV
I agree...and the second more subtler way is a bit less credible..since it is after the fact. I also agree with the sensitivity of things being released...and timing. I mean if I knew something, would I tell all immediately?? OR at a time ebetter? Or say nothing. And I think many if not all fans would do likewise. I agree about posts being looked at n some ways.
a bit differently.

Pats726 said:
I agree...and the second more subtler way is a bit less credible..since it is after the fact. I also agree with the sensitivity of things being released...and timing. I mean if I knew something, would I tell all immediately?? OR at a time ebetter? Or say nothing. And I think many if not all fans would do likewise. I agree about posts being looked at n some ways.
a bit differently.

Well that's just it, I find out the information.
I am a Patriots fanatic! Nobody can possibly be any more positve than I am. I walk around with my Patriots rose colored sunglasses every day of the year.
I frequent this group and find it to be a major source for Patriots news and updates.

My thinking was to simply provide what I know whne the time is right. Maybe, some of you would indeed be interested in what little added information I can help with given what is happening with a certain player, injury or contract status. Nothing more and nothing less. Believe me, it's not as if I can just dial a number and ask - "hey, whats up with Harrisons surgery" and find out, Yet, at some point, who knows, I may be told something about him.

If that were the case, what should I do then? I just think using common sense,as I wrote earlier would be of some interest and have some value in here. Tell me if I should do otherwise.

fgssand said:
Well that's just it, I find out the information.
I am a Patriots fanatic! Nobody can possibly be any more positve than I am. I walk around with my Patriots rose colored sunglasses every day of the year.
I frequent this group and find it to be a major source for Patriots news and updates.

My thinking was to simply provide what I know whne the time is right. Maybe, some of you would indeed be interested in what little added information I can help with given what is happening with a certain player, injury or contract status. Nothing more and nothing less. Believe me, it's not as if I can just dial a number and ask - "hey, whats up with Harrisons surgery" and find out, Yet, at some point, who knows, I may be told something about him.

If that were the case, what should I do then? I just think using common sense,as I wrote earlier would be of some interest and have some value in here. Tell me if I should do otherwise.

Hey fgssand, any info you get I am happy to learn about. I don't need to
know your source if you are concerned about it.
We just hope you are being honest and seeing you've been posting
here without complaints for some time my guess is you are.
Keep it coming brother..

Last edited:
I hope that Branch is firing his agent, because that usually means an agreement will be made soon after. (I'm thinking of the Benjamin Watson fiasco of 2004.) I have great respect for any player who gets the obstructive agent out of the way in order to get a deal done. (disclaimer: Whether Branch's agent is really this type, I don't know.)

Also, as I've posted before, my personality analysis says that Branch gets it where Givens didn't. Branch (I hope and believe) is less selfish, values making the team better, and will come to reasonable terms with the Pats.

It's way too early to say this (but what are fan forums for?!) but if Deion signs another long-term contract with New England, and things go as well as we hope, couldn't Branch become a Hall of Fame candidate? It won't happen if he leaves.

fggsand, I agree, keep it coming, whatever you're comfortable with, and sorry to lay it on a little thick. I'm backing off because first off, I only speak for me, and secondly, I would hate to be interpreted as trying to silence anyone else here. I'm just keeping the grain of salt handy, that's all! (No offense intended.)

PFnV

fggsand, the best for all concerned would be to let us in on your info but code it somehow (italics, smaller font, whatever) and state it as opinion.

Like you could have said I think Brady may be hurt last year or I think there's an issue with Branch's contract. That way we'd get the hint but you wouldn't have to worry about mentioning secret inside sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye