PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Receiver battle: Not a good night for Stallworth

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did not watch every play astutely but I question the consensus of "Branch can still get separation, Stallworth cannot" that has developed here to explain the differing performances. In the plays I saw, neither were consistently getting separation on outside-the-number routes.

I do agree with the consensus that Branch has a much, much better knack for the ball, such that he can routinely haul in back-shoulder bullets that scrape the ribs of the defender. But the defender is still right there with him.

Throwing a 50/50 ball to Stallworth seems to always be a 0% ball.

His speed intrigues me no more than that of Chad Jackson, Bethel Johnson, Chad Johnson, Joey Galloway, Mathew Slater, etc. People are too easily enamored with speed when the job is to get open and catch the ball. All of the above have way more speed than Welker, Branch and Gaffney, but I think that only the latter will be on the roster.

Last edited:
Re-watched part of the game this morning before I left for work and have to say he struggled to get any separation last night.
I would like to see them get away from this model of hanging on to oldies but maybe-not-so-goodies and take a risk with Ebert and Edleman. Maybe it's not sound football sense but I'd like to see it for the great fun of it. Roll the dice. It's not like Branch or Stallworth are going to be SB MVP.

I'll take that statement back later today. Har.

My thinking is that we have the heavy lifters identified already and maybe it doesn't matter what we do at the four spot. I mean really - Branch is going to catch more balls than Ebert? What, 40? No, it's not a numbers game so much as a reliability game. You know, third and long and you absolutely must have it when the route is changing on the fly? Yeh, well I'd rather have Branch for that throw than either Stallworth or Ebert but for the long run I like Ebert.

In any case just don't let Ebert go, I'm thinking. That is a guy that can punish DBs with his quickness and speed. With Branch and Stallworth I see no way that either of them is going to wow too many people. Maybe that spot is a role - a pure role. Then all bets are off.

Whatever - we have four guys I'd take over Santonio as the lead heavy lifter.

I've always felt/hoped that Branch would turn into a Brown-like possession receiver as he aged.

If he can stay healthy of course..

I really hope Stallworth works out. I've a soft spot for the guy since Madden 08 ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case