PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Reason Asante isn't signed yet

Status
Not open for further replies.
i don't know what's happening in the negotiations, but from the moment they signed adalius i thought Asante's deal was done...

They don't want him on a LT deal. Too expensive and he's likely to revert to his mediocre ways.

They want him playing for a contract this year and are willing to pay him 8M to do it. He's probably very happy to take that money. He knows he'll get another big payday next year. So it's win/win. And the patriots will try to get some draftees some playing time to pick up in the 08 year.

Wait until July 15th.

The first day the Patriots can sign him to a long term deal without losing the franchise tag.

You do know that this is NOT the case under the new CBA. If a long term deal isn't signed by July 15th, then Asante can ONLY be signed to a one year deal. As part of the new CBA, teams are no longer penalized the Franchise tag for the length of the contract from what I have read.

Wishful thinking. I think Asante was smiling because he's guaranteed at least $7.8M and could be looking at a signing bonus or guarantees of upwards of $15M. The last offer we made him was $7.5M in signing bonus. I find it hard to envision us bridging that gap unless Asante wants a lot less than he could easily get on the open market. I think they like him a lot, for a price, but they also know he isn't in the same league as the players you cited. His success is predicated to a large extent on the performance of an elite front 7. And that is where BB has chosen to make his top tier financial investments to date.

Just to put some things in perspective, when Ty Law was making 6.15 million in 2004, the Salary cap was only 80 million or so. Since then, the Salary cap has gone up 37.5 % for the league and 41% for the Pats. If you look at JUST the 37.5% increase, then that puts Law's adjusted salary at 8.62 million. And that was when Law wa 30 years old. If they can get Asante to sign a contract that averages out to 7 million or so, they will be getting a bargain, imho. Samuel might not be "as good as Ty", but he is the best we've got and BB& Pioli have declared he is a top 5 player at his position. I still think that Asante isn't a great tackler and that he gambles too much, but I can remember Ty doing much of the same. In fact, it was Ty Law gambling in 2003 that cost the Patriots Eugene Wilson for the 2nd half of the football game.

I have a feeling he won't sign, he wants TONS.

Let's have him this year, hope he does very well again, and then let him walk next offseason and we'll get a late 3rd as compensation the following year. That's the most likely scenario IMO.

I have a feeling he won't sign, he wants TONS.

Let's have him this year, hope he does very well again, and then let him walk next offseason and we'll get a late 3rd as compensation the following year. That's the most likely scenario IMO.

I agree. Let him play for another contract year.

Them dump him for a pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes