PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling

At this point, I would wonder even if he experienced good health whether his skill level would ever be what it once was.

The Blitz with Jeff Howe & Karen Guregian | Boston Herald

The Patriots have completed their eighth practice of training camp, which was held outside today in shells for the third time. Here are our notes.

Absent: Offensive lineman Marcus Cannon, defensive lineman Armond Armstead, cornerback Ras-I Dowling, defensive end Jermaine Cunningham, tight end Jake Ballard, safety Nate Ebner, wide receiver Michael Jenkins, cornerback Ras-I Dowling, wide receiver Lavasier Tuinei, safety Tavon Wilson, offensive lineman Kevin Haslam

Present but not participating: Tight end Rob Gronkowski, wide receiver Mark Harrison, running back Brandon Bolden, offensive lineman Dan Connolly, tackle Elvis Fisher

He has lost 2 years which makes him more likely to be labeled a bust because, well, he lost 2 years. But so have many players drafted that season who just aren't good enough, and THAT is inherent.

So far, he has been a bust. There is no way around that. And some people are not physically built to withstand the NFL. Me, for instance.

This is a scientific question, really, and there isn't any good data that has been properly analyzed. But I do put Dowling in the "fragile" category:
“I think that there is a general quality of ‘heartiness’, or ‘robustness,’ that may influence who gets hurt and who doesn’t,” said Carl Foster, director of the human performance laboratory at the University of Wisconsin, La Crosse. “I’ve never seen any systematically collected data, and I’m not even sure what one would measure, but anyone who has worked with athletes for any time at all has seen that there are just some people who are fragile and some who aren’t.”
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/health/nutrition/30best.html?_r=3

So far, he has been a bust. There is no way around that. And some people are not physically built to withstand the NFL. Me, for instance.

This is a scientific question, really, and there isn't any good data that has been properly analyzed. But I do put Dowling in the "fragile" category:

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/30/health/nutrition/30best.html?_r=3
I don't think you can 'so far be a bust'.
That was my main point. A bust is a bust, and you do not know until all is said and done. Its too early to call Dowling a bust, although he has a leg up on the title.

any word on him yet? Or is he in 5 pieces again?

Ras-I Jigsaw Puzzling?

any word on him yet? Or is he in 5 pieces again?

Nothing more than the usual BB "day to day" statement.

It should be noted that he was riding on the stationary bike though, so it's probably really not that bad in terms of the amount of attention it's getting here.

The concern is warranted however, based on his history--but I don't think we need to panic just yet.

It should be noted that he was riding on the stationary bike though, so it's probably really not that bad in terms of the amount of attention it's getting here.

Glass IR is OK. Well he's in better shape and more likely to get on the Pats playing field than Lloyd .............Odin Lloyd that is.

Glass IR is OK. Well he's in better shape and more likely to get on the Pats playing field than Lloyd .............Odin Lloyd that is.

Ouch. May want to rethink that joke.

Nothing more than the usual BB "day to day" statement.

The concern is warranted however, based on his history--but I don't think we need to panic just yet.

Likely just some type of leg muscle aggravated by the fact that he hasn't been in a uniform in nearly a year and he isn't in game shape yet. Same thing I see as what's going on with Ballard, it's week 2 both of these guys have played minimal if any padded football in nearly 2 years, it's irrational to expect their muscles to just snap back to being able to handle the demand of a NFL padded practice.

Likely just some type of leg muscle aggravated by the fact that he hasn't been in a uniform in nearly a year and he isn't in game shape yet. Same thing I see as what's going on with Ballard, it's week 2 both of these guys have played minimal if any padded football in nearly 2 years, it's irrational to expect their muscles to just snap back to being able to handle the demand of a NFL padded practice.

If Ballard's gait is not normal, and that's happening day after day, that's not just muscle aggravation.

If Ballard's gait is not normal, and that's happening day after day, that's not just muscle aggravation.

D I don't disagree; but don't you think if it was structural they'd keep him off the practice field?

D I don't disagree; but don't you think if it was structural they'd keep him off the practice field?

This is post-microfracture surgery rather than a more straightforward injury like a broken or a ligament tear. It's about as structural as it gets, in that the entire issue is the 'healing' of the area by creating a substitute that has to work. He's got to hope that the surgery is successful in 'regenerating' something that doesn't like to regenerate. This is a guy who's 16 months out. If he's still unable to run normally, he could be part of the significant failure percentage.

I'd hate to see that, and I'd love to see him on the field working well next practice, but microfracture isn't something that one can really predict.

This is post-microfracture surgery rather than a more straightforward injury like a broken or a ligament tear. It's about as structural as it gets, in that the entire issue is the 'healing' of the area by creating a substitute that has to work. He's got to hope that the surgery is successful in 'regenerating' something that doesn't like to regenerate. This is a guy who's 16 months out. If he's still unable to run normally, he could be part of the significant failure percentage.

I'd hate to see that, and I'd love to see him on the field working well next practice, but microfracture isn't something that one can really predict.

Wasn't aware that it was micro-fracture surgery, thank you for explaining it to me, that significantly changes my view, I've seen several players in the NBA not make it back from that procedure, it's a devastating injury.

Wasn't aware that it was micro-fracture surgery, thank you for explaining it to me, that significantly changes my view, I've seen several players in the NBA not make it back from that procedure, it's a devastating injury.

Yeah.... microfracture is still a tough one to this day. Something like 1 in 5 are completely done, while most of the rest see significant dropoff that may, or may not, show improvement over time. It's not quite a career death sentence, but it's still something that's difficult for the players to overcome.

Yeah.... microfracture is still a tough one to this day. Something like 1 in 5 are completely done, while most of the rest see significant dropoff that may, or may not, show improvement over time. It's not quite a career death sentence, but it's still something that's difficult for the players to overcome.

I know Greg Oden who was #1 overall in 2007's NBA draft is attempting to comeback from his 3rd one, he actually just signed with the Miami Heat. Players like Tracey McGrady, Amare Stoudemire, and Penny Hardaway had the procedure and were never the same. It doesn't appear to be as common a surgery in the NFL.

Nothing new here but I must say this:
When it comes to drafting DB's, BB is the broken clock that is correct twice a day (Asante and McCourty) but wrong all the other times.

It annoys me when someone defends the Dowling pick (he was a reach at the top of the 2nd round). His scouting report reads:
Durability is a concern - has been hurt dating all the way back to high school, missing significant action, and could always be snakebitten.ProFootballWeekly.com - Patriots No. 2 pick scouting report: CB Ras-I Dowling

Nothing new here but I must say this:
When it comes to drafting DB's, BB is the broken clock that is correct twice a day (Asante and McCourty) but wrong all the other times.

It annoys me when someone defends the Dowling pick (he was a reach at the top of the 2nd round). His scouting report reads:

Alfonzo Dennard and Tavon Wilson both had very good rookie season. The Dowling pick hasn't worked out thus far I agree but it's more to do with injuries than his abilities and play.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back