PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Ras-I Dowling

Nothing new here but I must say this:
When it comes to drafting DB's, BB is the broken clock that is correct twice a day (Asante and McCourty) but wrong all the other times.

It annoys me when someone defends the Dowling pick (he was a reach at the top of the 2nd round). His scouting report reads:

I'm personally not meaning to defend the pick itself, but more the process of the entire draft being a crapshoot + the remote chance that he may still be able to contribute on some level (although I'd agree that it is getting less and less likely).

It would appear that maybe Belichick was really hoping to trade the 33rd selection that year and couldn't find any takers so he took a chance at a position of need. It's looking like another failure at the position to this point.

Looking forward to hooking up in the next couple/few weekends in Mt.Lebanon to discuss it more and throw down a couple of beers with you if you're still up for it. :rocker:

Alfonzo Dennard and Tavon Wilson both had very good rookie season. The Dowling pick hasn't worked out thus far I agree but it's more to do with injuries than his abilities and play.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but nobody questions Dennard's raw talent…he obviously fell to the 7th round for his legal issues. Let's not pretend we are geniuses for drafting him.
Tavon Wilson was a serviceable warm body on a below average secondary…let's not call it a "good" season based on the fact that he was active for game day.
I also understand the draft is a crapshoot, but if I ever had to make a DB pick, I just wouldn't have BB very high on my list of people for advice.

Re: Re: Ras-I Dowling

I am not trying to be argumentative, but nobody questions Dennard's raw talent…he obviously fell to the 7th round for his legal issues. Let's not pretend we are geniuses for drafting him.
Tavon Wilson was a serviceable warm body on a below average secondary…let's not call it a "good" season based on the fact that he was active for game day.
I also understand the draft is a crapshoot, but if I ever had to make a DB pick, I just wouldn't have BB very high on my list of people for advice.

For the record you don't come across argumentative in the least bit and on top that your post has merit. Wilson's season was good statistically speaking but you're probably right in your assessment that his play was less than good. Dennard probably would of been considered genuis had he not been arrested within 3 months of his conviction on the pre draft charges.

I maybe cutting the Dowling pick to much slack, I mean in hindsight even if Dowling was not injured throughout his first two season he likely would of been a bad poor pick based on Richard Sherman being selected two rounds after him.

i should have asked what's dowlings ceiling....that house is a small one

Alfonzo Dennard and Tavon Wilson both had very good rookie season. The Dowling pick hasn't worked out thus far I agree but it's more to do with injuries than his abilities and play.

Wilson got benched last year for Steve Gregory. That should say enough about how his rookie season went.

Dennard was only available to us because of legal issues and his talent was obviously miles ahead of where he was picked.

You should have brought up Arrington and McCourty as guys Belichick sniffed out when no one expected and had great success.

Re: Re: Ras-I Dowling

Wilson got benched last year for Steve Gregory. That should say enough about how his rookie season went.

Gregory was signed to be a starter and was the starter, and the only games he didn't start were games he was inactive for due to injury. Wilson started those games and returned to his 3rd string role when Gregory returned from his injury. Wilson was not benched for Gregory.

You should have brought up Arrington and McCourty as guys Belichick sniffed out when no one expected and had great success.

Mccourty was a 1st round draft pick? He was a projected 1st round pick to top it off. Hardly reflective of someone who no one expected success from.

I haven't been witness to this great success by Arrington so I cannot comment on that.

clapping.gif

disagree-eccbc87e4b5ce2fe28308fd9f2a7baf3-571.gif

His attempts to find DBs have been abysmal, but I would have said the same thing about receivers until this year. Might just be the law of averages, but we are due for some hits on DBs too. I am not hopeful for Tavon Wilson, but maybe Ryan and Harmon (who is now getting snaps from TW).

is he still not practicing?

Did Belichick not find McCourty, Dennard and Arrington? This is hardly abysmal.

Some would even say he also "found" Talib in that he was willing to take a chance on him.

His attempts to find DBs have been abysmal, but I would have said the same thing about receivers until this year. Might just be the law of averages, but we are due for some hits on DBs too. I am not hopeful for Tavon Wilson, but maybe Ryan and Harmon (who is now getting snaps from TW).

Some would even say he also "found" Talib in that he was willing to take a chance on him.

Depends on how you look at it. Percentage of success is low in recent years, McCourty is playing safety because he failed as a corner, Dennard wasn't really a find as much as a risk taken, and c'mon with Talib.

It's return on investment: corner Ras-I Dowling (second), safety Patrick Chung (second), corner Darius Butler (second), corner Terrence Wheatley (second), safety Brandon Meriweather (first), safety Guss Scott (third), and corner Brock Williams (third).

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back