PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapapport: Martellus Bennett turned down a $7M per year offer from the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
As usual people in the non-draft board are totally underestimating how difficult it is to hit on a TE in the draft. I still remember how a lot of experts and fans were jerking off to the TE draft of 2014 with Amaro, ASJ and Ebron.

Two of them were complete busts that have been cut in the mean time and Ebron remains a big disappointment. Not only do you want a player that is capable of being a receiving option in the NFL but ideally he should also be a capable blocker. Projecting which college TEs can do both is pretty, pretty hard.

Given the amount of cap space there is no doubt in my mind that Bennett will be resigned because he checks off all the boxes. Unless he wants crazy money or something unexpected happens I don't see why you'd waste a draft pick on something that is so hard to project especially if you have the solution already in house.

Finally, if you listen to quick slants you would know that most of the beat reporters agree that he has actually bought in and is a good locker room presence.

Last edited:
For a team that features TE in our offense, we have had very little "staying power" for the TE's we have signed/drafted. If we lose Bennet, we are looking at starting all over again (especially with the unpredictability of Gronk).

Wow, calm down.

I think I've been pretty nuanced throughout this thread. Been upfront with the fact that I couldn't put my finger on it with a 100% accuracy and have not in any way tried to psychoanalyze anybody.

How excatly would you have things work around here? Is it ok to discuss a player in a thread about his contract situation? Even if you're not 100% on his band wagon? Should we use a disclaimer everytime one of use words like body language or attitude?

English not my first language, but I think I'm able to communicate well enough. It is however possible that a word like attitude simply is understood differently. My point was never that he was a problem in the locker room or that he had no respect for the coaches or anything along those lines. It was purely about his effort and body language on the field.

No worries.. his body language fooled Perillo too.

Looks like you may have missed seeing Bennett going up and down the bench firing up his teammates during the Jets game, or his excitement over never being on a team that's won nine games, or his "We work ****ing hard" rant.

Good point. He is definitely a special type. And I don't mind that. Maybe I read to much in to his body language.

I wouldn't be upset in any way if he was here next season. He's a good player. I'm just more in to the idea of drafting a TE to develope behind gronk.

I wouldn't give Bennett more than a 1 year contract and I don't think he would take that.
Reading body language is a dangerous thing.

Reading body language is a dangerous thing.

Fair point. Maybe I've read to much in to the body language thing. And maybe his injury is the main reason for what I pick up as playing with a lack of urgency.

Fair point. Maybe I've read to much in to the body language thing. And maybe his injury is the main reason for what I pick up as playing with a lack of urgency.

Yep. I think if you are seeing things like head down, making faces , etc I'd bet it's the fact that he's hurting and isn't performing at 100% is what might be causing it.

Wow, calm down.

I think I've been pretty nuanced throughout this thread. Been upfront with the fact that I couldn't put my finger on it with a 100% accuracy and have not in any way tried to psychoanalyze anybody.

How excatly would you have things work around here? Is it ok to discuss a player in a thread about his contract situation? Even if you're not 100% on his band wagon? Should we use a disclaimer everytime one of use words like body language or attitude?

English not my first language, but I think I'm able to communicate well enough. It is however possible that a word like attitude simply is understood differently. My point was never that he was a problem in the locker room or that he had no respect for the coaches or anything along those lines. It was purely about his effort and body language on the field.
You shouldn't think that you can determine a players attitude from body language on tv
There is zero chance you have any clue what his attitude is

Wow, calm down.

I don't know what country you are from, but we don't use words like nuance around here. This is a football forum.

You shouldn't think that you can determine a players attitude from body language on tv
There is zero chance you have any clue what his attitude is

Just as I might be reading to much in to bennetts last few performances, you're reading to much into my comments.

I don't know what country you are from, but we don't use words like nuance around here. This is a football forum.

My bad. I sincerely apologize. From now on I'll just stick to my point of view and if anybody disagrees with me, I'll just call them out for what they are: idiots.

He will return at 8.5M$/year after testing his market in the first week of the free agency and turning down some slighly better offers to keep winning titles. Dmac situation.

The problem with Bennett is that it seems like his injury is unlikely to heal this year. He's been hobbled for two months at this point and clearly has re-injured the ankle a few times. I'm not sure why they keep trotting him out there just to get hurt again and contribute almost nothing to the passing game unless the nature of his injury is such that it won't get any better this season. That's really unfortunate given that we are already suffering from a lack of big play explosion / red zone threat sans Gronk.

I'd shut him down for the rest of the regular season if it helped him because in his current state he isn't contributing much.

I like Marty but I dont think his actual play is going to get him a huge payday...think NE will re-sign him for a good deal for both of them.

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back