PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapapport: Martellus Bennett turned down a $7M per year offer from the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like Marty but I dont think his actual play is going to get him a huge payday...think NE will re-sign him for a good deal for both of them.

He's not gonna get big time money unless he turn's into a big offensive machine.

He will return at 8.5M$/year after testing his market in the first week of the free agency and turning down some slighly better offers to keep winning titles. Dmac situation.
So, you think that Martellus Bennett will have a comparable deal to Rob Gronkowski, and with a bigger cap hit next year to boot?

I like Marty but I dont think his actual play is going to get him a huge payday...think NE will re-sign him for a good deal for both of them.
I agree with your line of thought (edit: wonky wording--meant line of thinking), except the 7m dollar a year deal that he turned down would qualify as a fair deal for both sides. He seems to be looking for more.

Last edited:
We need Bennett, Gronk is simply unreliable for a full 16 game season. Unless we are going back to a WR dominant offense which I guess is possible with the acquisition of Floyd.

I agree...need to keep Bennett..and with the cap going up..what we have to spend..and him loving it here...KEEP THIS GUY

I agree with your line of thought, except the 7m dollar a year deal that he turned down would qualify as a fair deal for both sides. He seems to be looking for more.
I agree. And I don't think he's worth any more, from a BB run team's perspective. I like Marty, but I am just not over impressed with his (Gronk) play. I like him in his role. Blocking, decoy, and of course his receiving skills. I just have this nagging feeling about things getting ugly during negotiations. He seems like the type of guy who will change course at the drop of a dime. I guess his issues with his last few teams has a little to do with that. I hope I'm wrong. But, I wouldn't expect the Pats to pay any more than 7m

he turned down a one year extension for $7 million. Offer him a five year deal for $32 million with twelve guaranteed and see how he likes it...

Goodness gracious, no. You must secretly be my wife behind that keyboard, with the way that you're willing to throw around money.

I like your average annual value at 6.5m a year, but that's about it. 12m guaranteed isn't terrible, but I have a hunch Belichick is looking for a 1 or 2 year deal, here.

I agree. And I don't think he's worth any more, from a BB run team's perspective. I like Marty, but I am just not over impressed with his (Gronk) play. I like him in his role. Blocking, decoy, and of course his receiving skills. I just have this nagging feeling about things getting ugly during negotiations. He seems like the type of guy who will change course at the drop of a dime. I guess his issues with his last few teams has a little to do with that. I hope I'm wrong. But, I wouldn't expect the Pats to pay any more than 7m

I'm with you, although I'd be willing to go a little bit higher at 7.5m dollars a year because it's a nice piece to include in your arsenal. I wouldn't really be all that concerned if he leaves either, though.

Goodness gracious, no. You must secretly be my wife behind that keyboard, with the way that you're willing to throw around money.

I like your average annual value at 6.5m a year, but that's about it. 12m guaranteed isn't terrible, but I have a hunch Belichick is looking for a 1 or 2 year deal, here.
I figure that 12 guaranteed is the first two years, maybe structure it as first two years fully guaranteed with the rest guaranteed to some degree for injury but not skill. I don't think Belichick would be against a longer term as long as it's structured so it doesn't hurt the team if he has to cut Marty in a couple of years. Really don't see that happening anyway, but the contract should be carefully structured even so.

I figure that 12 guaranteed is the first two years, maybe structure it as first two years fully guaranteed with the rest guaranteed to some degree for injury but not skill. I don't think Belichick would be against a longer term as long as it's structured so it doesn't hurt the team if he has to cut Marty in a couple of years. Really don't see that happening anyway, but the contract should be carefully structured even so.

You could be right. Personally, I'd be very surprised if Belichick agreed to anything more than 2 years and outright shocked if anything more than 3 years. He's a couple of months from 30 already, has had some character concerns and at best is a man who openly voices his opinions fairly loudly. In his defense, he seems to be fitting in nicely during his first year, but I'm not sure that it totally removes all concerns about doing his own thing, having a less than winning attitude, etc.

I may be hesitant to throw around the kind of longer term/big money deal that you're suggesting. We'll have to see how Belichick approaches it. I hope they can reach a fair deal.

So, you think that Martellus Bennett will have a comparable deal to Rob Gronkowski, and with a bigger cap hit next year to boot?

I don't know. The salary cap is always growing, if we had to re-sign the Gronk today, he would get a contract in the 11-12M AAVG range. Bennett may be one of the few players (with Butler and High) that Bill value enough to match or at least near their market value in the free agency.

I don't know. The salary cap is always growing, if we had to re-sign the Gronk today, he would get a contract in the 11-12M AAVG range. Bennett may be one of the few players (with Butler and High) that Bill value enough to match or at least near their market value in the free agency.

BB also values Players who plays hurt and don't get hurt that often I say Marty fits that Bill.;) I think he's going to be Huge for us in the Playoffs which would more than prove his worth. Our Offense is Depended on Good TE play and unless you hit on one in the Draft they can be pretty hard to come by. Marty even though will turn 30 he's the kinda 30 with a lot of thread less on his tires a unique situation indeed. Make the man a better Offer BB he's worth it.

You could be right. Personally, I'd be very surprised if Belichick agreed to anything more than 2 years and outright shocked if anything more than 3 years. He's a couple of months from 30 already, has had some character concerns and at best is a man who openly voices his opinions fairly loudly. In his defense, he seems to be fitting in nicely during his first year, but I'm not sure that it totally removes all concerns about doing his own thing, having a less than winning attitude, etc.

I may be hesitant to throw around the kind of longer term/big money deal that you're suggesting. We'll have to see how Belichick approaches it. I hope they can reach a fair deal.
I agree with some of your comments, especially about the money. I think the way the season worked out with Bennett not producing big receiving numbers might help keep his market down just a bit. But that might change with big numbers in the playoffs, which I think will happen.

I was thinking 3 years for $21MM with 12 guaranteed in some form SHOULD do the trick. I'd even go to 4 years and 28 , if it comes with a no consequence, phony last year.

But I disagree with your opinion of his "character" concerns, because his character is exemplary. I think you are mixing your character concerns with the potential that his outspokenness could cause problems. I think what has actually happened this season should have quelled that. While he has continued to show that he is a genuine character and remains outspoken, he has had several situations come up where he COULD have gone off the rails, given the number of games where he wasn't even a limited part of the offense, just a glorified OT. But he not only didn't rebel, he seemingly relished his role, trading personal stats for winning. So I think Bennett answered ANY questions about if his out spoken nature would be a negative.

BTW- Beyond the winning and the chance to continue to play for superbowls every year until he retires, Bennett would benefit greatly in furthering his off season goals by staying here. Only going to LA would be better in that area, and the fact the Mark Wahlberg has a lot of influence beyond acting now out there, being a Patriot would give him pretty much all the LA connections he could want.

I agree with some of your comments, especially about the money. I think the way the season worked out with Bennett not producing big receiving numbers might help keep his market down just a bit. But that might change with big numbers in the playoffs, which I think will happen.

I was thinking 3 years for $21MM with 12 guaranteed in some form SHOULD do the trick. I'd even go to 4 years and 28 , if it comes with a no consequence, phony last year.

But I disagree with your opinion of his "character" concerns, because his character is exemplary. I think you are mixing your character concerns with the potential that his outspokenness could cause problems. I think what has actually happened this season should have quelled that. While he has continued to show that he is a genuine character and remains outspoken, he has had several situations come up where he COULD have gone off the rails, given the number of games where he wasn't even a limited part of the offense, just a glorified OT. But he not only didn't rebel, he seemingly relished his role, trading personal stats for winning. So I think Bennett answered ANY questions about if his out spoken nature would be a negative.

BTW- Beyond the winning and the chance to continue to play for superbowls every year until he retires, Bennett would benefit greatly in furthering his off season goals by staying here. Only going to LA would be better in that area, and the fact that Affleck, Damon and Wahlberg all have a lot of influence beyond acting now out there, being a Patriot would give him pretty much all the LA connections he could want.

I absolutely love Bennett, but I don't believe in paying non-quarterbacks long money for a contract that starts after 30. 2 years contract with some not likely to be earned , yardage in increasing amounts, probowl, percent plays and some likely to be earned-same list at this years amounts in increments minus the probowl, but adding the superbowl and conference bowl-wink

Whatever is fair for a near probowl TE. I don't know the league salary scale, but he is a person I would like to keep on the team for the next two years and I think he would too and then see from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back