PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapapport: Martellus Bennett turned down a $7M per year offer from the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like a 3 year 20M contract and guarantee maybe 12 of it. I do think he really wants to stay here so it should be possible to accomplish it with such a contract.

He is one of those guys i think like Harrison that will play here for 4-5 years and this be his team as far as he is concerned ala Rodney Harrison.

• Agree
Reactions: PP2
BTW- after I wrote my last post, I happened to check Bennett's current stats and surprisingly they were higher than I thought. 50 catches for 650 yds, and 13ypc. In fact, assuming he gets more than 4 catches over the next 2 games, it will be his 3rd best season in catches, and 2nd best in yds in his career.

Those numbers may be less than OUR expectations, especially with Gronk missing more than half the year. But they are pretty good in comparison with his past. Maybe THAT's why he hasn't been compaining. ;)

Also the combination of Gronk's injuries, Bennett's age and FA status, and BB's overall love of TE's, I guarantee we will be looking very closely at this TE draft class. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us use one of our top 3 picks if a guy he likes is there.

BTW- after I wrote my last post, I happened to check Bennett's current stats and surprisingly they were higher than I thought. 50 catches for 650 yds, and 13ypc. In fact, assuming he gets more than 4 catches over the next 2 games, it will be his 3rd best season in catches, and 2nd best in yds in his career.

Those numbers may be less than OUR expectations, especially with Gronk missing more than half the year. But they are pretty good in comparison with his past. Maybe THAT's why he hasn't been compaining. ;)

Sight to the blind;) thats why I have been clamoring for reasonable Bennett extension.;)

Also the combination of Gronk's injuries, Bennett's age and FA status, and BB's overall love of TE's, I guarantee we will be looking very closely at this TE draft class. I certainly wouldn't be surprised to see us use one of our top 3 picks if a guy he likes is there.

At the start of the year, I figured (in catches/yards)...

Gronk- 80/1000
JE11 80/900
Bennett 50/600
White/Lewis 60/500
Hogan 40/600
DA/Mitchell- 30/400
Assorted: 20/200

Given the amount of cap space I don't see a scenario where Bennett is not resigned unless he wants crazy money. We have many other positions that need to be restocked in the draft. Tight end is a luxury.

I would agree with all but your last sentence. For BB, Tight End is one of the most critical positions in football, and he's continuously searching for those rare guys with the skill and size who can block and catch. Guys in the draft aren't a sure thing, whereas Bennett's been a good soldier, plays hurt, blocks great and doesn't complain about not getting the ball, and makes clutch and difficult catches. As he's more durable than Gronk and can come the closest to replacing him when Gronk's injured, he's well worth a premium in salary, especially given the difficulty of finding a replacement.

I think he resigns to a higher-end deal here unless someone chooses to weaken us by paying him more.

Pretty impressive considering the severity of that ankle sprain he played with for half the season.

I'd like a 3 year 20M contract and guarantee maybe 12 of it. I do think he really wants to stay here so it should be possible to accomplish it with such a contract.

1. He is one of those guys i think like Harrison that will play here for 4-5 years and this be his team as far as he is concerned ala Rodney Harrison.
I'd like to see him signed to a four year deal now, maybe extend it to add a year in a couple of years.

Moneywise the only thing that matters here is guaranteed. Especially with his age. 12M might not be near enough on the market since he will be the top TE FA and not much to choose from after him.

I don't think this will be only about the money though. He's too smart for that. Creative Director of Awesomeness at The Imagination Agency. I guess it will be up to him: Does he want another ride here or wants to add another experience to his football adventure. He is an adventurer .. but also seems to love his adventure here..

BTW - If Derby could block half decent like Marty does (or at all) BB would not let him go, not even for much higher pick. Commitment to blocking - although not as popular - is exactly what will set that extra value for Marty and deservedly so. With Gronk's uncertainties and FA drought his value for Pats is sky high. Whatever they want to give him is fine by me as long as he stays.

C0elX35VIAAvrr6.jpg

C0elX37VIAA2ooI.jpg

Guy loves it here.... hopefully the Pats can work something out

Bennett has been more than expected. His offensive stats, while important, don't tell the entire picture. To me, the willingness to run block & stay positive - not only avoiding negative talk, but being a force of reason - are key.

This team has lotsa young players. Some that have known nothing but good times in NE. It is important to have solid vets like MB & Long that show up, produce, and add leadership. Especially since this is their first taste of success and they don't plan on letting the chance pass them by.

Bumping this thread. Bennett is saying the right things. We'll see what happens.
“I love it here,” Bennett told reporters on Thursday. “We’ll figure it out when it’s time to figure it out, but my family loves it here, I love being a part of this team, this organization, and this city. When it comes around, it comes around. I’m not really tripping, like I said. I save my money pretty good. I’ve got a good, diverse portfolio, so I’m not really tripping right now.”
Martellus Bennett hopes to stay with the Patriots

Here's a Gronk Like TE who I would Reach for in the Second Div II Player Adam Shaheen looks like he could easily make jump to NFL level.

BB have have Reached for worse players whom I will not list in the Second Round.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Bumping this thread. Bennett is saying the right things. We'll see what happens.

Martellus Bennett hopes to stay with the Patriots
Maybe it's just me, but that quote seems to imply that he would "take less" to stay in NE. Saying he's doing good, saves his money well, has a diverse portfolio, and not really worried about it... right after saying how much he loves it here... it seems to add to up to "I want to stay and I will as long as the contract is respectable."

$7m a year for 3 years probably gets it done ultimately... in my opinion. Pay Gronk and Marty similar money and they'll both be happy.

Lets hope so AJ because some Team could still back up the truck and give him one of those once in a life time offers. That is one reason why I would love his extension sooner rather than later.

I love Bennett. He is that kind of guy who likes to speak, but only does so in good ways. Great personality.

I would like to see him return, but how much will BB spend on one position? We already committed 10 M to gronk. It's good that we have so much cap space next year though, makes it a lot easier

Lets hope so AJ because some Team could still back up the truck and give him one of those once in a life time offers. That is one reason why I would love his extension sooner rather than later.
He'll be back. He's playing on a different level. He knows that a "once in a lifetime offer" isn't about money, it's about living a life that makes you happy. Sounds like he's found that here and he knows it.

From Reiss:
Asked if he is craving a first Super Bowl ring, he said, "I wouldn’t really say craving the ring, I just crave the big game moments and playing in games that matter. A lot of times, you don’t really get to do things that matter and I have a chance to do that right now."

I'm just wondering if his next contract will include Kraft adopting him. This sounds like they're kindred spirits, maybe identical twins separated at birth? Marty sounds like quite the entrepreneur. I'm looking for Marty World to be built right across Route 1 from Patriot Place...
Martellus Bennett is an NFL star tight end doubling as a marketing guru.
[...]
“I just figured that the NFL is making so money off of merch that if I could slide in and get a small percentage of it, I could find a niche market for myself, which you call ‘microbranding’ – you focus on the area that you’re in and then eventually those people tell other people about it then you branch out and do a little bit more so I started a little thing called ‘Football Marty’, Bennett said.
[...]
Bennett and his brother Michael Bennett (of the new three-year extension with the Seahawks) are known for their ability to brand their image in circles in and out of the NFL.

“I’ve got some Bennett Brother gear coming out,” Bennett said. “I’ve got collaborations with multiple guys that I’m going to be making gear for.”
Martellus Bennett has a message to fans and Patriots: ‘If you want to invest in cool, invest in me’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
MORSE: Thoughts on Patriots Day 3 Draft Results
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Head Coach Jerod Mayo Post-Draft Press Conference
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots CB Marcellas Dial’s Conference Call with the New England Media
So Far, Patriots Wolf Playing It Smart Through Five Rounds
Wolf, Patriots Target Chemistry After Adding WR Baker
Back