PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapapport: Martellus Bennett turned down a $7M per year offer from the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
Except the caveat to that extension was it was only for an extra year past this year. At least that's what Rapaport said when he first reported the extension talks a couple of weeks ago.

Bennett is looking for a longer deal than 1 year.

If he turned it down before the start of the year season he may have been wanting to know what it was like being here during the season and that he was going to get targets with Gronk on the field also. Also shows the pats intent to sign him up

All I'm focusing on is that Bennett will be highly motivated to play at the top of his game for the rest of this season, which is especially critical without Gronkowski. So, the Pats will get his very best.

I'll worry about next year in January or February, depending on when the season ends.

That explains his playing trough ankle injury. I was wondering why he is playing/hobbling down the field. He want to play trough injury and the pats doesnt care.

I just hope that he isnt going to seattle next year and perhaps pats find money to pay him. For 9mil per year he has to prove himself this year.

It's either Bennett, full confidence in Gronk's return, or an early round draft pick... I would think. Good tight ends seem scarce around the league so I expect few free agents to be available. Anybody know??

It's either Bennett, full confidence in Gronk's return, or an early round draft pick... I would think. Good tight ends seem scarce around the league so I expect few free agents to be available. Anybody know??
I hope it's not an early draft pick. We have other needs to address.

If he turned it down before the start of the year season he may have been wanting to know what it was like being here during the season and that he was going to get targets with Gronk on the field also. Also shows the pats intent to sign him up
So this was someting that happened BEFORE the season????!!!! Then how is this news as opposed to exploiting old info because Gronk is now gone.
\
Clearly Bennett's negotiating position has improved, but not to the effect of holding up the Pats. The Pats won't play that game because Gronk WILL be back. That being said, I think 3years for 7-8MM is eminently fair with someting between 10-14 guaranteed.

bill's going to have to offer at least 9m a year. that seems like the starting point with all of the other te's!

Makes sense, at his age he's probably looking for one last long-term deal. Not really in his interests to sign a one-year contract.

LET HIM GO, we gotta get aways from that tight end stuff anyway because all they do is get injured.

Yikes. I can't see him worthy of anything more than $7M. Unless he really turns it on for the rest of the year and gets on the same page as Brady.

he is not going to take any offer until he sees the market he may be the top FA to the hit the market in 2017. but if he keeps being a no show even with Gronk out he may not even get the 7 Million he turned down

• Agree
Reactions: TBR
I hope it's not an early draft pick. We have other needs to address.

If the best player available in round 1/2 is a TE, I think there's no longer any reason not to take him.

If the best player available in round 1/2 is a TE, I think there's no longer any reason not to take him.

Given the amount of cap space I don't see a scenario where Bennett is not resigned unless he wants crazy money. We have many other positions that need to be restocked in the draft. Tight end is a luxury.

A lot of how the offense will be in the next few years will depend on who will be the 2nd TE (Bennett or other player) and Gronk's health situation. Either way, the Pats will have to invest on a 3rd option as well, I would like to see CJ Fiedorowicz from the Texans here, maybe we can trade a 4th for him?

Its time to draft a new TE next to Gronk. maybe O.J. Howard TE Alabamain the first.;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft