PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Rapapport: Martellus Bennett turned down a $7M per year offer from the Patriots

Status
Not open for further replies.
No prob. He had what, two catches, on Brady's big day?

And only one a couple of weeks ago when Gronkowski wasn't even dressed and playing.

It's pretty obvious that Bennett is not going to take over the role of Gronk-lite as so many here envisioned, as they are utilizing 3 WR sets much more instead.

This draft is stocked with quality TE's FWIW.
That's worth a lot I would think. Not much of a college guy, so that's interesting to hear. Of course there's the bird in the hand thing, but still.

Explain. Body language?

Yeah, I guess. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it. He just doesn't seem focused and engaged the same way an edelman or a gronk does. He doesn't play with the same urgency.

Yeah, I guess. Like I said, I can't really put my finger on it. He just doesn't seem focused and engaged the same way an edelman or a gronk does. He doesn't play with the same urgency.

Bennett is a different dude. I think hes just wired a little differently than most people.

Hes an intelligent man and has been a pretty visible guy in the community- especially accepting Gronk's award at Children's Hospital last Tuesday.

I don't have an issue with him.

Unless Bennett start going over 100 yard every game for the remainder of the season starting next week, the team should not overpay him.

Unless Bennett start going over 100 yard every game for the remainder of the season starting next week, the team should not overpay him.
Shouldn't (and won't) overpay him in any case. But they should pay him fairly. Earlier in the season when he was healthy he showed he can be dominant too, maybe not as much as Gronk but then who can?

I love Bennett but it would be a mistake to overpay him as an elite player. He's not an elite offensive weapon like Gronk.

Bennett is a different dude. I think hes just wired a little differently than most people.

Hes an intelligent man and has been a pretty visible guy in the community- especially accepting Gronk's award at Children's Hospital last Tuesday.

I don't have an issue with him.

Good point. He is definitely a special type. And I don't mind that. Maybe I read to much in to his body language.

I wouldn't be upset in any way if he was here next season. He's a good player. I'm just more in to the idea of drafting a TE to develope behind gronk.

I wouldn't give Bennett more than a 1 year contract and I don't think he would take that.

7 million for one year is nothing. Multi year? Like I always say, if they want him and he wants to play here there's a number. A multiyear contract for someone his age is an entirely different animal.

Gotta be honest. I love the guy but was worried he was a flake. He sure ain't a flake on the football field. Stays in shape, blocks great when necessary. Reminds me of Bill Lee in baseball. He was a character, but he was clutch, fielded his position and couldn't wait to get up to bat.
sometimes characters make the best players [in a great locker room, which BB will do anything to maintain.

I hope he get's healthy. We need him to efficient on offense. Right now he clearly's not healthy.

There's a couple of tight ends i like in this draft coming up.

Bennett has had 3 100 yrd games this season and scored 3 touch downs against the Browns and 1 TD against the Dolphins. Bennet hasn't scored a TD since week 5.

For his sake I hope he is hurt. We really need him.

Over the last 3 games he has a grand total of 40 yards receiving and 0 TD's.

He isn't exactly having a break the bank season. To me he has been very average.

Last edited:
I would do 2-3 year deal max 7.5m/year. Anything else I would let him go.

A player I like in the draft is Jeremy Sprinkle, although its still way to early he is currently projected to go in rounds 3-4.

If there is a team willing to pay that I hope it's not us.

I like Bennett, but I have some doubts about him as well. The biggest knock I have on him is attitude. I feel his attitude seem to follow his number of targets. He's a good player - though not a game changer - but something's off. I can't completely put my finger on it.

I know I might be in the minority on this one, but I'm fine with letting him go at the end of the season.
How could you possibly have any idea about his attitude?
I mean this board is just getting out of hand. You like the team probably watch most of the games and therefore think you can psychoanalyze one of the players.
Remarkable.

Supposedly bennett has had a gimpy ankle since october 9 but he had a great game against seattle. Idk. He has to make plays for us. Run routes and get open . If he plays well then he will get a good contract from us or someone else.

And only one a couple of weeks ago when Gronkowski wasn't even dressed and playing.

It's pretty obvious that Bennett is not going to take over the role of Gronk-lite as so many here envisioned, as they are utilizing 3 WR sets much more instead.

He has the talent. He had almost 1000 yards two years ago. He has to be a presence in the middle.

How could you possibly have any idea about his attitude?
I mean this board is just getting out of hand. You like the team probably watch most of the games and therefore think you can psychoanalyze one of the players.
Remarkable.

Wow, calm down.

I think I've been pretty nuanced throughout this thread. Been upfront with the fact that I couldn't put my finger on it with a 100% accuracy and have not in any way tried to psychoanalyze anybody.

How excatly would you have things work around here? Is it ok to discuss a player in a thread about his contract situation? Even if you're not 100% on his band wagon? Should we use a disclaimer everytime one of use words like body language or attitude?

English not my first language, but I think I'm able to communicate well enough. It is however possible that a word like attitude simply is understood differently. My point was never that he was a problem in the locker room or that he had no respect for the coaches or anything along those lines. It was purely about his effort and body language on the field.

I dunno, I like Hugh Jass better

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft