PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Question about Eugene Wilson.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like DeOssie, and really think he could be a good fit, but...

Here's a few things I rarely hear people talk about concerning him:
1. He has durability problems and has had multiple injuries during his college career.
2. DeOssie is better at his preferred position (OLB), and his size (6'4" 268lbs) makes more sense on the outside.
3. DeOssie is not fundamentally sound, and at times lacks the instints you would expect, considering his pedigree.
4. What if he doesn't work out, and BB has to cut him? The heat he would receive from family members and the local media would be unreal. I wouldn't take him any higher than the fifth round, or maybe the fourth.:)

both Rashad Baker and Willie Andrews were late draftees at 8th and 9th. Finally, we finally get to the Gemarrra Williams t be as many as ... 5; but more often or not its FOUR.

Why not just paste every DB name on the waiver wire last year? That would give us 20 safeties.

And the result was that they led the league in fewest TD's allowed.

Yes. The Patriots secondary did a good job preventing the long ball this year. Red zone defense was excellent.

Big weakness was the lack of big plays and the inability to stop the passing game over the middle. Good offenses torched our linebackers and safeties. That is really what cost us the AFC Championship game. Just couldn't stop Dallas Clark and couldn't get Manning off the field. I blame that on a shortage of big play ability by the linebackers and the safeties. Specifically, we never made receivers pay for catching the ball over the middle.

Talk to me about the great talent at reserve LB,just like i did at Safety for you. Please...
Safety is a position where we can expect a rookie to contribute.

Linebacker is not.

Hence it is very likely we will pick safeties high.

I bet we do draft safety(s) and corner(s)in the draft....What do I know:confused: probly OL and TE:eek:

Oswlek and AZPatsfan -
How do you two figure that Hobbs REGRESSED last year? I have gone back over the season and when you take into consideration that he missed 1 game and played sparingly in a a few others because of his broken wrist, he had a heckuva season.

Now, I will agree that he didn't have as many passed defended as he did his rookie year, but I think that also comes from the issues with his wrist.

So, help me out here because I would like to understand your criticism.

DaBruinz,

Where did I say he regressed? I said he's one of the five young studs that we have in the secondary and I credit the attention taken by Asante's breakthrough season for robbing the limelight. I also said Hobbs still confirmed he is a major leaguer even when playing with a hand in a cast. He had fewer INTs and PDs then before but his overall play was still fine.

In short I like Hobbs and think he is a Keeper.

Rashad Baker was an UDFA.

Rodney is old. Chad Scott is also old. Hawkins is getting old. Brown is old and is not a safety. None of these players are locks to get through camp, let alone the season.

Wilson, Gay, Mitchell, and Baker are in their last contracted year. If any of them perform at the high level we demand, they will cost $$$ to re-sign.

Our roster is pretty snug with talent at this point, so spending a high/mid pick or two on the safety position, thereby getting a cheap, robust player for four years, seems like one of the better uses of the upcoming draft.

Rodney is a lock to get through camp, injury aside.

Otherwise I agree, except maybe on the Mitchell $, but then I don't take him seriously for a roster spot now that we have at least one starter who's a good gunner. Well, Baker would be an ERFA too, which helps with the $.

Last edited:
Otherwise I agree, except maybe on the Mitchell $, but then I don't take him seriously for a roster spot now that we have at least one starter who's a good gunner.

Do you really think we'll use Adaleus Thomas at gunner? He did go to the Pro Bowl in 2003 as a special teams gunner.

DaBruinz,

Where did I say he regressed? I said he's one of the five young studs that we have in the secondary and I credit the attention taken by Asante's breakthrough season for robbing the limelight. I also said Hobbs still confirmed he is a major leaguer even when playing with a hand in a cast. He had fewer INTs and PDs then before but his overall play was still fine.

In short I like Hobbs and think he is a Keeper.

Actually, you concured with an opinion that Oswlek posted. And I admit that I misread what he posted. Sorry for the confusion.

Here's the bottom line question:

Which of these Safeties would be considered an impact player/playmaker?

Rodney
Wilson
Sanders
Hawkins

Obviously Harrison is the only consistent impact player of the group. Logic says that once he leaves, the Pats are left w/o a playmaker at SS or FS.

IMO, this is THE DRAFT to address the Safety position. It's deep enough to take us into round 4. Now, we don't need to find the next Rodney, who seemingly does it all as a blitzer, vs the run, or with his intimidating hits in pass coverage. But we could create competition at the FS position with Geno -- best player plays. We could also seek out Rodney's replacement -- groomed and ready for year two.

Equally important however is to add a playmaker to one of the two Safety positions. I highly doubt that once Rodney leaves, BB would chance fielding a defense that's lacking playmaking skills at the Safety position. It's not smart football. JMO.

I like DeOssie, and really think he could be a good fit, but...

Here's a few things I rarely hear people talk about concerning him:
1. He has durability problems and has had multiple injuries during his college career.
2. DeOssie is better at his preferred position (OLB), and his size (6'4" 268lbs) makes more sense on the outside.
3. DeOssie is not fundamentally sound, and at times lacks the instints you would expect, considering his pedigree.
4. What if he doesn't work out, and BB has to cut him? The heat he would receive from family members and the local media would be unreal. I wouldn't take him any higher than the fifth round, or maybe the fourth.:)

DeOssie is 6"4 250 though.

I admit that in hindsight I was wrong in being skeptical of the Pats when they brought back Seau from retirement, but c'mon, signing DeOssie is going too far!

DeOssie is 6"4 250 though.

268lbs was his playing weight. All these guys shed pounds so they'll be faster at the combine. That's why guys like Abbate, Willis, Harris, Davis, and other weighed in under their normally listed weight. It's a lot easier to drop 15 pounds than some might think, and putting it back on is pretty easy, too.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes