PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Principles of the 3-4 defense

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to say I've enjoyed reading this thread- it's great to get this level of knowledgable insight on a MB.

Also a side question for the X&O experts: I'm familiar with the basic difference between 1-gap and 2-gap defensive assignments, and I always seem to hear about 1-gap or 2-gap defensive styles as if they are mutually exclusive. But can't they be combined in a single defensive scheme, where some players have 2-gap responsibilities and others don't? Anyone know of any coaches/teams that do this, or reasons why it wouldn't work?
Even in a two-gap scheme you often switch to one-gap on blitzes. If the nose is controling both A gaps in the base defense, and an A gap blitz is called, obviously the nose is going to one-gap one A gap, and the linebacker the other. There are many ways for the linebacker to call this out, gee/haw, gas/brake, star/port, many less obvious ones...

Last edited:
Thanks again, guys. These kind of threads are excellent reading in the offseason!

2 Squat is also known as 2 Hard. The CB's are pure flat players. 2 Read has the CB's playing flat, unless #2 goes vertical. Then they must play deep as the Safety would get 2 deep in his area.

As an example, the Asante Samuel interception against the Jets in the playoffs was out of a 2 read.

As an example, the Asante Samuel interception against the Jets in the playoffs was out of a 2 read.

I'm not sure, but I think it was what they call "Cover 5 Trap", where the CB drops like he has the deep third, and the Safety rotates to his area allowing the CB to jump the Flat. The Route combo was Streak/Out and Asante jumped the Out, the QB had the read to throw the Out.

Asante jumped this same combo many times, including vs the Jags last year.

I have a question about the naming convention used for our LBs.

I hear the terms:
1) LOLB, ILB, ILB,ROLB
- easy to understand
- in the past this would be McGinest, Bruschi, TJ (or Phifer), Colvin

2) WOLB, WILB, SILB, SOLB
- Weak and Strong based on the side of the field the TE is lined up on

Questions
- Does our formation have a MIKE?
- Is the corect term WILB, SILB or just ILB?
- Do LBs players switch based on where the TE is lined up?

Observations
- the past 2 years (2005, 2006) Bruschi has played on the right inside of the formation (Strong side I think) and he has been much less effective
- I hope we draft/sign someone who can play some snaps at the strong (right-hand) side of the defense at ILB so Bruschi can remain at weakside for the major of the reps (Harris, Willis, Bishop seem to fit this profile)
- future WILB - seems to be an easier position to fill, most athetic college LBs fit this profile, but the big run stuffers who are not a total liability in coverage seem to be harder to find)

Thank you for your help.

Last edited:
I have a question about the naming convention used for our LBs.

I hear the terms:
1) LOLB, ILB, ILB,ROLB
- easy to understand

As you say, this is the easiest way to designate LBs. Simply by their position on the field, regardless of the offensive formation. It also doesn't tell anything about their roles and assignments, just that they line up like that at the start of each play.

2) WOLB, WILB, SILB, SOLB
- Weak and Strong based on the side of the field the TE is lined up on

Questions
- Does our formation have a MIKE?
- Is the corect term WILB, SILB or just ILB?
- Do LBs players switch based on where the TE is lined up?

Terms like Will, Mike and Sam are used for the 4-3 alignment (WLB, MLB, SLB). With Will the weakside LB, Sam the strongside LB, and Mike as the middle LB. This also means that the Will and Sam will always line up according to the strength called. If the offense varies the position of their TE, these LBs will be switching back and forth. However, when the offense lines up in a balanced formation (TE at either side, two receivers wide at the LOS), the Mike will make a call about which side is strong or weak, depending on what kind of agreements were made in preparation for the game.
So the Pats 3-4 doesn't have a Mike, at least not in the sense of a 4-3 Mike LB. It still is possible to assign terms like Will, Mike, Sam, or Mack to your LB corps, depending on their assignments in a particular formation/alignment. But I seem to have misplaced my copy of the Patriots defensive playbook;) , so no further insight on that.

Observations
- the past 2 years (2005, 2006) Bruschi has played on the right inside of the formation (Strong side I think) and he has been much less effective
- I hope we draft/sign someone who can play some snaps at the strong (right-hand) side of the defense at ILB so Bruschi can remain at weakside for the major of the reps (Harris, Willis, Bishop seem to fit this profile)
- future WILB - seems to be an easier position to fill, most athetic college LBs fit this profile, but the big run stuffers who are not a total liability in coverage seem to be harder to find)

Thank you for your help.

For whatever reason, the Pats brass hasn't prioritized the LB position in the draft, either because most college LBs don't fit into our 3-4, or because the players that do fit, play a different position in college, and take time and effort before they learn to play LB. You might be better off finding someone who is already considered a 'project' in the later rounds of the draft, and develop him while he's 'buried' as a backup on your depth chart, and having him play special teams in the meantime.

Status
Not open for further replies.

2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft