PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Post-draft: updated 53-man forecast

Status
Not open for further replies.

rookBoston

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Understanding that a million things can happen between now and Week One, here's a quick post-Draft view of the 53-man roster.

After thinking about this draft class, clearly the goal wasn't to improve the D. The O will be deeper... but better? For certain, the ST should be much much better. Because so much of the offseason emphasis seems to be on the ST, I decided to breakout the roster projection into three: O, D and ST.

Offense (24)
QB Brady, UFA, Cassell
RB Dillon, Faulk, Pass, Moroney
WR Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress
TE Graham, Watson, Thomas
OT Light, Kaczur, Gorin, O'Callaghan
OG Mankins, Neal, Stevenson
OC Koppen, Hochstein

Defense (20)
NT Wilfork, Smith
DE Seymour, Warren, Green, Hill
OLB Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey
ILB Bruschi, Beisel, Claridge
CB Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Scott
S Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins

Special Teams (9)
K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton
ST Izzo, Mills, Jones, Sanders, Mitchell, Andrews

Year over year comparisons -

QB Flutie --> UFA, Considering all we got from Flutie was a drop kick, it's not a hard act to follow
RB Evans --> Moroney, Should be a significant upgrade, even if only on ST in the first year
WR Givens --> Jackson, If Jackson lives up to expectations, should be an upgrade; but there's some major risk if it doesn't work out
WR Davis --> Caldwell, Have to call this an upgrade, actually
WR Johnson --> Childress, Childress's gradual progression reminds me of Givens... time will tell
TE Fauria --> Thomas, I really like the Thomas pick-- this is perfect
OT Ashworth --> O'Callaghan, Let's call this a push for now
OG Mruczkowski --> Stevenson Some reason for optimism

DL Wright --> Smith Swapping one project for another
OLB McGinest --> Mincey Really unfair comparison-- no way Mincey can fill this void
ILB Brown --> Claridge Does the fact that BB didn't draft ILB indicate confidence in the redshirt rook?
CB Poteat --> Scott Could be Warfield or Poteat, but I pick Scott will win out in TC

K Vinatieri --> Gostkowski Poor kid... anything less than perfection will start the waterfall of second guessing
ST Chatham --> Mills I'm very high on Mills as an eventual backfill for Izzo
ST Stone --> Jones Tebucky is an elite gunner in the NFL
ST Davis --> Mitchell Based on age alone this is an upgrade, but by all accounts Mitchell is an impact STer
KR Dwight --> Andrews Let's see what Andrews shows us in TC... Maroney could easily win this role, in which case Andrews is a rookie cut

rookBoston said:
Understanding that a million things can happen between now and Week One, here's a quick post-Draft view of the 53-man roster.

After thinking about this draft class, clearly the goal wasn't to improve the D. The O will be deeper... but better? For certain, the ST should be much much better. Because so much of the offseason emphasis seems to be on the ST, I decided to breakout the roster projection into three: O, D and ST.

Offense (24)
QB Brady, UFA, Cassell
RB Dillon, Faulk, Pass, Moroney
WR Branch, Jackson, Caldwell, Brown, Childress
TE Graham, Watson, Thomas
OT Light, Kaczur, Gorin, O'Callaghan
OG Mankins, Neal, Stevenson
OC Koppen, Hochstein

Defense (20)
NT Wilfork, Smith
DE Seymour, Warren, Green, Hill
OLB Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, Mincey
ILB Bruschi, Beisel, Claridge
CB Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Scott
S Harrison, Wilson, Hawkins

Special Teams (9)
K Gostkowski
P Miller
LS Paxton
ST Izzo, Mills, Jones, Sanders, Mitchell, Andrews

Year over year comparisons -

QB Flutie --> UFA, Considering all we got from Flutie was a drop kick, it's not a hard act to follow
RB Evans --> Moroney, Should be a significant upgrade, even if only on ST in the first year
WR Givens --> Jackson, If Jackson lives up to expectations, should be an upgrade; but there's some major risk if it doesn't work out
WR Davis --> Caldwell, Have to call this an upgrade, actually
WR Johnson --> Childress, Childress's gradual progression reminds me of Givens... time will tell
TE Fauria --> Thomas, I really like the Thomas pick-- this is perfect
OT Ashworth --> O'Callaghan, Let's call this a push for now
OG Mruczkowski --> Stevenson Some reason for optimism

DL Wright --> Smith Swapping one project for another
OLB McGinest --> Mincey Really unfair comparison-- no way Mincey can fill this void
ILB Brown --> Claridge Does the fact that BB didn't draft ILB indicate confidence in the redshirt rook?
CB Poteat --> Scott Could be Warfield or Poteat, but I pick Scott will win out in TC

K Vinatieri --> Gostkowski Poor kid... anything less than perfection will start the waterfall of second guessing
ST Chatham --> Mills I'm very high on Mills as an eventual backfill for Izzo
ST Stone --> Jones Tebucky is an elite gunner in the NFL
ST Davis --> Mitchell Based on age alone this is an upgrade, but by all accounts Mitchell is an impact STer
KR Dwight --> Andrews Let's see what Andrews shows us in TC... Maroney could easily win this role, in which case Andrews is a rookie cut

nice job...but u gotta think a bunch of these guys will get "injured" and placed on the PUP. i like wright over smith but other than that, good picks.

Pass the kool-aid. I know that this is the best bb draft ever, but keeping all 10!! I'm fine for now. I keep all but Andrews.

It will be a long way to July with no roster to argue over. As always, I agree almost entirely. See below for some nitpicks. BTW, I like the idea of separating special teams.

OFFENSE (24)
QB Brady, UFA, Cassell
RB Dillon, Maroney, Faulk
FB Mills
WR Branch,Jackson,Caldwell,Brown,Childress/Johnson
TE Graham,Watson,Thomas
OT Light,Kaczur,Gorin,O'Callaghan
OG Mankins,Neal,Stevenson
C Koppen, Hochstein

1) Mills was the top FB in the draft. It is Pass that will need to make the team as a Ster. Maroney will be fine as the short yardage back.

2) If Childress makes the team, he needs to be able to return punts or kicks. That is the role of the #5 receiver. It will to be interesting to see if he beats out Bethel Johnson.

DEFENSE (22) + Harrison on PUP (or Koppen)
DE Seymour,Warren,Green,Hill
NT Wilfork, Wright
OLB Vrabel, Colvin, Banta-Cain, jag fa
ILB Bruschi,Beisel,Claridge
developmental Smith, Mincey
CB Law,Samuel,Hobbs,Gay
S Wilson,Hawkins,Sanders

3) Wright is ready to play some backup, and should be kept another year.

4) We need a veteran backup linebacker; a total of six is too thin. Alexander could fill the spot if he can't be upgraded.

5) Gay beat out veterans to make the team in his first year.

6) I think we need to recognize that we sometimes have true developmental players, of which we expect nothing this year. He should be able to do it again.

SPECIAL TEAMS (7)
K Gostkowksi
P Miller
LS Paxton
ST Izzo,Jones,Pass,Mitchell

7) I don't think we need a returner who isn't a position backup.

8) I moved Sadders up to position players, since he backed up at safety and played nickel in 2005.

================================
We haven't seen 2006 injuries, but I still think you underestimate the roster improvement by ignoring the improvement as a result of the return of Light, Koppen, Gay and Harrison. They may not be on the starting roster, but they will greatly improve the 2006 team.

mgteich said:
Pass the kool-aid. I know that this is the best bb draft ever, but keeping all 10!! I'm fine for now. I keep all but Andrews.

Yeah, I could very easily see us punting on Smith and Andrews... Mincey and O'Callaghan, too. Mincey going to the IR is not unrealistic at all.

But this is the day of the draft, and everyone has a little extra polish on their nameplates today.

I think Stevenson is likely to stick on the depth chart, given his Weis connection and prototypical Pats lineman's size and makeup.

And all the rest of the rookies fit the roster pretty well, actually, given the free agency losses plus some fairly superficial cuts, like Mruc, Bethel and Klecko.

rookBoston said:
Yeah, I could very easily see us punting on Smith and Andrews... Mincey and O'Callaghan, too. Mincey going to the IR is not unrealistic at all.

actually o'callaghan could be just what the doctor ordered to help the run game

this rocks dude. sorry i have nothing constructive to add right now. i'm on overload, but this is a big help.:rocker:

I think Britt makes it over Gorin. More upside, and O'Callaghan is a tackle capable of playing guard, while Stevenson is a guard capable of playing tackle.

Why is everyone so convince that rodney will be on the PUP it's been nearly a year since the injusty and if i remember correctly (and feel free too) he only tore one ligament which means relaistily he could be back by training camp and not start the first few games why waste the chance he could be ready in week 2 and still have to wait till week 6

I am a little surprised guys are handing the kicking job to a rookie. BB may go with experience. If Gramatica is healthy and kicking well, I think he makes the team and contributes.

You must have been SHOCKED then when the Pats handed the kicking job to some undrafted kicker from Montana a few years ago

A.C Vegas said:
Why is everyone so convince that rodney will be on the PUP it's been nearly a year since the injusty and if i remember correctly (and feel free too) he only tore one ligament which means relaistily he could be back by training camp and not start the first few games why waste the chance he could be ready in week 2 and still have to wait till week 6

Rodney went down in week 3 and was operated on about a month later due to swelling. It was the dreaded triple - ACL/MCL/PCL. It certainly was an injusty and relaistily PUP most likely is what it is. :rolleyes:

Joker said:
You must have been SHOCKED then when the Pats handed the kicking job to some undrafted kicker from Montana a few years ago

Only we never did. Ten years ago we signed an UDFA from South Dakota though, but only after he kicked successfully for a year in NFLE.

Projection

QB - 3 Brady, UFA, Cassell
RB - 3 Dillon, Maroney, Faulk
FB - 2 Mills, Pass
C - 2 Koppen, Mruczkowski
G - 3 Neal, Hochstein, Mankins,
OT - 4 Light, Gorin, Kanzur, O'Callahan
WR - 5 Branch, Caldwell, Jackson, Childress, Johnson
TE - 3 Graham, Watson, Thomas
DE - 4 Seymour, Warren, Hill, Green
DT - 3 Wilfork, Smith, Wright
LB - 8 Vrabel, Colvin , Bruschi, Banta-Cain, Beisel, Claridge, Davis, Izzo,
CB - 5 Samuel, Hobbs, Gay, Chad Scott, Warfield
S - 6 Wilson, Sanders, Guss Scott, Hawkins, Mitchell, Jones
P - 1 Miller
K - 1 Gostkowski

PUP Harrison,T Brown
PS Stevenson, Mincey

MoLewisrocks said:
Only we never did. Ten years ago we signed an UDFA from South Dakota though, but only after he kicked successfully for a year in NFLE.

South dakota, Montana, North Dakota...who gives a crap.. the point is STILL valid...he was complaining about taking a chance on Gostkowski, a rookie DRAFT choice when we did the same thing with a rookie UDFA, As far as World League goes, Gostkowski has kicked in front of 10 times the amount of fans than you ever see at a NFLE game. Face it, NFLE is basically a minor league scrimmage league

jct said:
PUP Harrison,T Brown
To be on PUP, you can't be active at all during training camp.

Has something happened to Brown that I don't know about? Unless we hold him out of TC for no reason, he can't go on PUP.

mac said:
I am a little surprised guys are handing the kicking job to a rookie. BB may go with experience. If Gramatica is healthy and kicking well, I think he makes the team and contributes.
Are you saying to carry two kickers? I think this is a distinct possibility.

MoLewisrocks said:
It certainly was an injusty and relaistily PUP most likely is what it is.
You are mean (but I still laughed)

With my first post (in a long time)...

I declare, that Freddie Roach makes the 53 and backs up a free agent ILB.

If not, then Claridge backs up the FA and Roach makes the practice squad or gets IR'ed. I just don't see the instincts or toughness in Beisel, and I think Roach can develop into the TJ-type ILB they are looking for 1-2 down.

Originally Posted by A.C Vegas

Mo Lewis Rocks:
Rodney went down in week 3 and was operated on about a month later due to swelling. It was the dreaded triple - ACL/MCL/PCL. It certainly was an injusty and relaistily PUP most likely is what it is.

We really use LOL and ROTFLMAO ... much too lightly.
How can i explain now?

I've never heard myself make the guttural, spluttering, half-suppressed sounds
that i just did as i read this!

Just trying to clear my throat afterwards ... brought on a short coughing fit.

ps - and, upon previewing ... i am incurring aftershocks of mirth.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call
Patriots Now Have to Get to Work After Taking Maye
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf and Jerod Mayo After Patriots Take Drake Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News