Votes: 21 13.7%
  • Let's see what happens...

Votes: 80 52.3%
  • GAKLR... spelled backwards

Votes: 22 14.4%

• Total voters
That's kinda where I am with this.

I wanted Harbaugh.

I have no issue with Mayo except his inexperience as a HC. So much we don't know.

Vrabes was more of a qualified candidate but I wasn't enamored with him.

I am ok with it and wanted to vote “we’ll see how it goes.”

Look at what Caseiro did in Houston Nico Collins - Tank Dell and now Stroud I'm jealous.
This guy was on the hot seat from day 1. He got a dream QB that produced like a champ and it made it all go away.

This guy was on the hot seat from day 1. He got a dream QB that produced like a champ and it made it all go away.
That's why I hope we have the pieces in place and select the right QB Maye or Daniels.

I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, the defense has been a bright spot and Mayo needs to get some of the credit for that. On the other, I never liked his game as a player and always felt he was overrated.

The truth is, no one really knows if he can coach as he hasn't done it. We won't know for probably 2 years.

Love it for the following reasons:

1.) Quick hire. Did not take 24 hours. Now we are onto OC/FO stuff.

2.) He is 37 years old. So, he...if successful...will be around when our new toy at QB hopefully signs their 2nd contract.

3.) Knows the personnel already and likely will keep the defensive side the ball intact. The same D that tried hard to keep us in the games all year. Even with major injuries.

4.) Won't be a HC/GM combo. We are separating that...so he won't have much on his plate compared to what Belichick amassed over the years.

That's why I hope we have the pieces in place and select the right QB Maye or Daniels.
All 3 are the right choice. It’s how they perform is what matters.
I have mixed feelings.

On one hand, the defense has been a bright spot and Mayo needs to get some of the credit for that. On the other, I never liked his game as a player and always felt he was overrated.

The truth is, no one really knows if he can coach as he hasn't done it. We won't know for probably 2 years.
wow, you didn’t like Mayo’s game as a player.? That’s like the first time I’ve ever heard or read that.

Positives:
Seems to be more of a people person than certain other Patriots coaches turned HC.
Should keep continuity with defense

Negatives:
Not sure how he fixes the offense
And if he brings in an OC that does fix the offense, not name Josh McDaniels, good chance the OC gets poached
This is why it would be smart to bring in an OC that brings along some additional offensive assistants of his own. That way you maintain continuity.

All 3 are the right choice. It’s how they perform is what matters.

wow, you didn’t like Mayo’s game as a player.? That’s like the first time I’ve ever heard or read that.
Def not my type of player. Not enough tfl, not enough big plays in big moments, not enough turnovers. Generally speaking, too conservative of a player for my tastes and I don't think you win that way, especially at LB.

Alot can be said for players wanting to play for former players. Mayo seems to have all the players on his side. Hopefully there will be no more odd benchings/trades/cuts because someone didn't toe the BB line.

Definitely going to need a strong GM. Mayo should also hire a DC and not try and do both jobs himself. I'm guessing that either BOB or McDaniels will be the OC. Didn't I read someplace that the Pats sought permission to interview Patricia? He would seem like a great pick for DC and help for Mayo in the HC department.

I can only hope he names his daughter Chya to the staff

Rumorville in Atlanta is BB and Josh are a package deal.

Dude that part in the movie was so dam funny. :rofl:
One of my favorite movies. I'm like a 10 year old waiting for the sequel to come out.

One of my favorite movies. I'm like a 10 year old waiting for the sequel to come out.
They have a play of it coming to MA.

If, as seems to be the case, the Krafts locked themselves into Mayo last year, that was foolish. There should have been a full hiring process in which Mayo was but one of several alternatives with no particular advantage.

I will of course root for and support Mayo, but I do not regard the way this has gone down as indicative of a fully legitimate hiring process in which the football needs of the team - rather than the emotional needs of whomever - were paramount. If we get a similar playsafe, milquetoast hire for GM, I will be concerned.

This feels like Kraft made this decision last January when Mayo dropped out of HC interviews. Why wait another season?

I would have preferred a clean break with a young offensive mind but that said I'll argue in favor of him.

1. I'll give Kraft credit. He's hired 2 head coaches. Bill and Pete. While Pete didn't workout here they both have multiple SB appearences and if you throw in what Pete did in college They are both top 5 of this century. So if he thinks Mayo is the guy I'm going to put some trust in that decision. And I've been critical of a lot of what Kraft has done.

2. Having the trust of the team and the organization goes a long way. The defense could have gone way downhill with some of the losses they suffered. Getting all that talent back they shoud be even better next year.

Now that said here's what scares me.

1. They have to get the GM right. Probably more important than the coach. Where Bill has been the GM for so long I'm not as confident in this choice. for Robert. Ray Agnew is the assistant GM in Detroit and a former Patriot. They've done a great job with the draft and player acquisition. Somebody from Philly's front office would be interesting as well.

2. The GM and Mayo have to make sure they get the right OC. I don't want BOB back. He didn't fix Mac. He said Zappe couldn't play and they released him. I have no confidence he'll groom a young QB correctly. Although a crap head coach McDaniles is a top OC. Part of me would be OK with him coming back into that role but another what's somebody from college or at least a pro offense that is more modern. The OC selection might also be more important than Mayo which is why I wanted an offensive minded HC.

At the end of the day this team was almost entirely void of talent. Coaching want an issue anywhere near as badly as talent evaluation

Meh, the defense was the part of the team that played fairly well this year. Can’t see how the defensive coach will fix all the offense and special team issues they have. Let’s see how they fill the other half of belichick’s role.

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Patriots Get Extension Done with Barmore
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/29: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-28, Draft Notes On Every Draft Pick
MORSE: A Closer Look at the Patriots Undrafted Free Agents
Five Thoughts on the Patriots Draft Picks: Overall, Wolf Played it Safe
2024 Patriots Undrafted Free Agents – FULL LIST
Back