PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pleased with the draft, but where are the linebackers?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I am very pleased with the Moroney pick. I think he serves tutleage under Dillon for a year or two and then he could be the guy for the next 8-10 years after that. He's big and strong and ran in one of the top rushing offenses in the country last couple of years. After watching highlights on draft day, he kind of reminds me of a slightly faster Ron Dayne coming out of Wisconsin.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the Chad Jackson pick and I can't believe he fell to the top of round two! He's listed as 6'1", but he plays bigger. He'll be more than an ample replacement for Givens and he played in a pro-style offense in Gainseville. He could be a #2 as a rookie, which would allow Brown, Caldwell and Bethel to mix it up for the expanded sets and slot.

Dave Thomas, I don't know much about, but I hear many good things about him (on this board, and elsewhere), so I will trust Piolichick on that one. Dave Thomas? "Um, I'll have a triple with cheese and a frosty please?"

The rest of the guys, only Mel Kiper-esque draftniks would know about, although I do recall seeing Mincey in a couple of Gator games over the past few years and he's a decent depth guy.

Also, big, corn-fed O-Lineman recruited to Notre Dame (Dan Stevenson) are always a good bet.

Is Le Kevin Smith from France? Pepe Le Pew? Le Kevin Smith?

But here's the real question? Where were the linebackers? I was thinking we'd pick one high and at least another lower.

I guess Piolichick is happy to go into the season with what have: Tully Banta-Cain, Eric Alexander, Larry Izzo, Don Davis, Tedy Bruschi, Monty Beisel, Ryan Claridge, Mike Vrabel & Rosy Colvin...

With the talent we have on D-Line and the lack of depth at LB, it might be time to go back to a traditional 4-3 as a basic set, yes?

Seymour/Wilfork/Warren/Green
Vrabel/Bruschi/Colvin
Samuel/Harrison/Wilson/Hobbs

ADPF

--------------------------------------------

1 - Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
2 - Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
3 - David Thomas, TE, Texas
4 - Garrett Mills, TE/FB, Tulsa
4 - Stephen Gostkowksi, K, Memphis
5 - Ryan O'Callaghan, OT, California
6 - Jeremy Mincey, DE, Florida
6 - Dan Stevenson, OG, Notre Dame
6 - Le Kevin Smith, DT, Nebraska
7 - Willie Andrews, S, Baylor

Last edited:
Armen Da Pats Fan said:
I guess Piolichick is happy to go into the season with what have: Tully Banta-Cain, Eric Alexander, Larry Izzo, Don Davis, Tedy Bruschi, Monty Beisel, Ryan Claridge, Mike Vrabel & Rosy Colvin
Armen, it's Belioli. Your name sounds like a female version of Piloli, LOL.

This is clearly the question of the day. We're locked in with Vrabel, Rosey and Tedy. Unless we're bringing in a veteran, I guess some combination of TCB, Beisel, Alexander, Claridge and maybe Roach will have to get it done. We do have gobs of salary cap left to spend . . .

patriot LBs are made, not drafted

BelichickFan said:
This is clearly the question of the day. We're locked in with Vrabel, Rosey and Tedy. Unless we're bringing in a veteran, I guess some combination of TCB, Beisel, Alexander, Claridge and maybe Roach will have to get it done. We do have gobs of salary cap left to spend . . .
there were a lotta fast, smurf-type LBs in this year's draft. wonder if any of them will turn out to be as good as rod shoate.
BB/SP must be feeling very good about the not-ready-for-prime-time 7 (add klecko, davis). certainly they see something i don't see. if none of those 7 could force their way onto the field last year, with all the injuries...

They did get two linebackers. Mincey for the outside and Roach for the inside. They will join Alexander and Claridge as young Pats LB's, and Tully, of course. Maybe one or even two will develop over time.

My guess is that BB likes Beisel more than we do. He s*cked at the beginning of the year, but did seem to keep improving as the season went on.

ilduce06410 said:
BB/SP must be feeling very good about the not-ready-for-prime-time 7 (add klecko, davis). certainly they see something i don't see. if none of those 7 could force their way onto the field last year, with all the injuries...
I think meant to say that all 7 were on the field?

(If not, what 7 players couldn't get onto the field last year?)

Hard to draft a linebacker who will work in our system. They're mostly too small coming out of college. I was surprised they didn't take Mark Anderson out of Alabama, but what do I know.

I know they were very high on Claridge last year before he went down to injury, so maybe he meets expectations...

Colvin,Bruschi,Beisel,Vrabel
Claridge,Banta-Cain
Mincey,Roach

1) I think bb like Beisel much more than we do. Is it really unreasonable that he wasn't effective early, when he was new, and the ILB was Chad Brown? bb knows whether Beisel "gets it" or not.

2) bb also knows what to expect out of Banta-Cain and Claridge as backups.

3) I don't expect the Mincey and Roach will step right in and be ready for major reps. They should be considered "projects" which is fine.

4) I think we need a jag free agent or two to compete for a backup spot, and to compete for reps with Claridge and/or Banta-Cain.

5) Eric Alexander could still compete for a position and playing time.

6) Colvin, Bruschi and Beisel should all be better this year.

BOTTOM LINE
We have a starting four, two backups, and three projects. There is plenty of youth in the pipeline.

Armen Da Pats Fan said:
?

But here's the real question? Where were the linebackers?

Last seen wearing #59 in Charger blue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Five Patriots/NFL Thoughts Following Night One of the 2024 NFL Draft
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/26: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots QB Drake Maye Conference Call