PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please No (Rumor: Raiders could join Patriots in Bill O'Brien interest)

I don't think he'd go to Vegas under Josh, although I think Caley was the guy Josh wanted (Belichick blocked him from leaving if I recall correctly), and his contract is up after this year. And the one edge New England would have over Tennessee is a young quarterback that he would get credit for turning around, along with the fact he worked with Mac briefly during the transition to when he took over the coordinator job in Alabama.

That and he has a good relationship with Kraft and he likes the area. But I agree with @Steve:Section 102 - could very well be to make sure he gets compensated accordingly.
Could Bill have blocked Caley going to Vegas as the OC? I thought HC's could only block lateral moves, not promotions.

Reactions: Ian
Sugar Bowl's over and in the books, I bet O'Brien's already received a call from Mr. Kraft at some point this evening.

Sugar Bowl's over and in the books, I bet O'Brien's already received a call from Mr. Kraft at some point this evening.
As much as that sounds great I don’t see it happening.
I think it’s more Caley or O’Shea being named OC.

McVay is under Shanahan tree.
But the other coaches weren't. That's like saying any of the Raiders coaches who never coached under Bill are now under his tree. They are now under Josh's tree.

not sure, but very likely neither.

Would really depend on how they interview. but I’d be surprised if McVay would want an OC gig after being HC for 7 years in your scenario. I’d really worry about his ability to fit in to that role even if he said he wanted it. Similar concerns about Daboll but he doesn’t strike me as quite as egotistical as McVay, perhaps because McVay has been higher profile longer.
It's a hypothetical based on who you'd rather have

Here's the issue imo with this take.

1. Mahomes has the best TE in the league who is the closest to Gronk you could probably find historically. He also has solid WR's like Hardman, Juju, MVS and Toney who could all come here and compete for number 1.

2. The Packers lost Adams who was the best WR in the league. They aren't the same offense and losing their top receiver is probably the reason why. Which kinda confirms my point.

3. The Rams lost OBJ last year and Kupp is on IR. So again you take out the two best passing threats that are bonafide elite players, and it completely transforms their offense from nearly failproof.

4. The 49'ers are the only exception imo and well.... they have the worst QB play of the bunch and they are still going to be playoff favorites even with their third choice going in

If you look at the top teams in PPG this year it goes

1. Eagles who traded for AJ Brown

2. Chiefs who have Kelce

3. Cowboys who have Lamb who finally started coming into his own

4. The Bills who have Diggs

5. The Lions who have Amon Ra St Brown

6. The Bengals who have Chase

7. The Vikings who have Jefferson

8. The 49'ers who have Deebo

9. The Dolphins who have Hill and Waddle.

10. Seattle who had DK Metcalf and Lockett

It's a passing league now and you need a great pass catcher.
2. Packers offense FIZZLED with Adams both last year and the year before.

3. Rams offense FIZZLED with Kupp this year. Look at their output until Kupp was hurt before Thanksgiving.

The rest of the list agrees with what I'm saying. Not so much about the style of offense as it is the quality of player.

Yes, 2003 was a great defense.
The defense won the 2001 Super Bowl as Tom Brady threw for 145 yards and was 16 out of 27. Thank you.

Last edited:
I don't think he'd go to Vegas under Josh, although I think Caley was the guy Josh wanted (Belichick blocked him from leaving if I recall correctly), and his contract is up after this year. And the one edge New England would have over Tennessee is a young quarterback that he would get credit for turning around, along with the fact he worked with Mac briefly during the transition to when he took over the coordinator job in Alabama.

That and he has a good relationship with Kraft and he likes the area. But I agree with @Steve:Section 102 - could very well be to make sure he gets compensated accordingly.
Just pay the man. We are in a dire situation at OC here.

The defense won the 2002 Super Bowl as Tom Brady threw for 145 yards and was 16 out of 27. Thank you.
The Patriots did not play in the 2002 Super Bowl. The Bucs played the Raiders in that game.

I like Bailey Zappe’s college OC. He’s now at Texas Tech. They won some big games at the end of their season, including Ole Miss and Oklahoma.

Zach Kittley is too young, has two children Ford and Knox (Ft Knox?), and needs more seasoning.

But I want the 6’7” former Zappe OC with the Patriots. He’s a Kliff Kingsbury disciple.

The poop play, anyone? Simple and brilliant. Why didn’t I think of it, asks every wanna be OC.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back