PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please No (Rumor: Raiders could join Patriots in Bill O'Brien interest)

News flash: scoring is down across the league in 2022.

2021: 2 teams w/ >30 pts, 14 teams w/ >25 pts.

2022: 0 teams w/ >30 pts, 8 teams w/ >25 pts.

And McDaniels Raiders with Adams, Renfro, Waller and Jacobs are scoring 23.0 ppg (#12). Missed the playoffs.

Renfro and Waller have missed half the games.

To me he looks better than Mac ever has.
Very confident in his decision making and throws.
Now that San Fran roster is stacked but he isn’t hurting them.
I would add Zappe look way better than Mac too behind Center.

Gronk is generational. The best of all time. It would be a miracle to get someone like him again.

I agree we need to invest in a WR.

But... I'm saying that the sexy offenses in this league are not showing up this year.

Get me a Mahomes and yes, we can score 30 a game! But the Rams, Packers, 49ers, those sexy offenses, are all struggling to put up points.

Also, is this the 5th year? Seems we did well in 2018.

2019, we went out there with one healthy offensive lineman, Brady drilled the ball into the ground one second after the snap, Sanu busted, Edelman got hurt and tore his ACL, Antonio Brown got his goons to threaten to beat up a woman's children, etc... It just doesn't count as a coaching failure.

2020, Cam Newton and covid pandemic. Enough said.

2021, Rookie QB and 27 points per game.

2022, Horrible choice for an OC and the OL devolved once again.

That's 4 years, but each year can be taken in context.

What we need are players and competence at OC. (I'm actually someone who has been very critical of O'Brien in the past, I've always been more of a McDaniels fan, but I certainly don't see the point in going for a Shanahan / McVay type offense just because our current OC is inept).
Players play.

"It's a player's game". ~ some chitbag coach in Foxboro.

Gronk is generational. The best of all time. It would be a miracle to get someone like him again.

I agree we need to invest in a WR.

But... I'm saying that the sexy offenses in this league are not showing up this year.

Get me a Mahomes and yes, we can score 30 a game! But the Rams, Packers, 49ers, those sexy offenses, are all struggling to put up points.

Also, is this the 5th year? Seems we did well in 2018.

2019, we went out there with one healthy offensive lineman, Brady drilled the ball into the ground one second after the snap, Sanu busted, Edelman got hurt and tore his ACL, Antonio Brown got his goons to threaten to beat up a woman's children, etc... It just doesn't count as a coaching failure.

2020, Cam Newton and covid pandemic. Enough said.

2021, Rookie QB and 27 points per game.

2022, Horrible choice for an OC and the OL devolved once again.

That's 4 years, but each year can be taken in context.

What we need are players and competence at OC. (I'm actually someone who has been very critical of O'Brien in the past, I've always been more of a McDaniels fan, but I certainly don't see the point in going for a Shanahan / McVay type offense just because our current OC is inept).
Here's the issue imo with this take.

1. Mahomes has the best TE in the league who is the closest to Gronk you could probably find historically. He also has solid WR's like Hardman, Juju, MVS and Toney who could all come here and compete for number 1.

2. The Packers lost Adams who was the best WR in the league. They aren't the same offense and losing their top receiver is probably the reason why. Which kinda confirms my point.

3. The Rams lost OBJ last year and Kupp is on IR. So again you take out the two best passing threats that are bonafide elite players, and it completely transforms their offense from nearly failproof.

4. The 49'ers are the only exception imo and well.... they have the worst QB play of the bunch and they are still going to be playoff favorites even with their third choice going in

If you look at the top teams in PPG this year it goes

1. Eagles who traded for AJ Brown

2. Chiefs who have Kelce

3. Cowboys who have Lamb who finally started coming into his own

4. The Bills who have Diggs

5. The Lions who have Amon Ra St Brown

6. The Bengals who have Chase

7. The Vikings who have Jefferson

8. The 49'ers who have Deebo

9. The Dolphins who have Hill and Waddle.

10. Seattle who had DK Metcalf and Lockett

It's a passing league now and you need a great pass catcher.

Here's the issue imo with this take.

1. Mahomes has the best TE in the league who is the closest to Gronk you could probably find historically. He also has solid WR's like Hardman, Juju, MVS and Toney who could all come here and compete for number 1.

2. The Packers lost Adams who was the best WR in the league. They aren't the same offense and losing their top receiver is probably the reason why. Which kinda confirms my point.

3. The Rams lost OBJ last year and Kupp is on IR. So again you take out the two best passing threats that are bonafide elite players, and it completely transforms their offense from nearly failproof.

4. The 49'ers are the only exception imo and well.... they have the worst QB play of the bunch and they are still going to be playoff favorites even with their third choice going in

If you look at the top teams in PPG this year it goes

1. Eagles who traded for AJ Brown

2. Chiefs who have Kelce

3. Cowboys who have Lamb who finally started coming into his own

4. The Bills who have Diggs

5. The Lions who have Amon Ra St Brown

6. The Bengals who have Chase

7. The Vikings who have Jefferson

8. The 49'ers who have Deebo

9. The Dolphins who have Hill and Waddle.

10. Seattle who had DK Metcalf and Lockett

It's a passing league now and you need a great pass catcher.
Six World Championships. We can also list stellar wide receivers during that time.

Six World Championships. We can also list stellar wide receivers during that time.
With the GOAT QB. Can't leave that out you know.

3 of the 6 where over 18 years ago. In this league that's a totally different era.

Of the other 3. 2 of them featured Gronk who was crucial in the playoffs of both runs. The year Gronk missed, we had Edelman who picked up the slack and was a 1000 yard WR that year. We also had Hogan and Amendola that year who would both have been in contention for number 1 WR if you put that version of them on the team this year.

Oh and for all 6 we had Tom Brady. He isn't walking through those doors again just in case you were hoping. Nobody is going to come in and elevate talent the way he did.

3 of the 6 where over 18 years ago. In this league that's a totally different era.

Of the other 3. 2 of them featured Gronk who was crucial in the playoffs of both runs. The year Gronk missed, we had Edelman who picked up the slack and was a 1000 yard WR that year. We also had Hogan and Amendola that year who would both have been in contention for number 1 WR if you put that version of them on the team this year.

Oh and for all 6 we had Tom Brady. He isn't walking through those doors again just in case you were hoping. Nobody is going to come in and elevate talent the way he did.
Defense wins championships.

All of these teams have HC from the Shanahan tree:

CIN #6 offense (about to win div)
MIN #7 offense (won division)
SF #8 offense (won division)
MIA #9 offense (pending)

Pats are 0-3 against them.
And should have won 2 of them

Defense wins championships.
Not this year. This D has the most sacks ever under Belichick, but the offense is bad. A mid pack O and a championship level D is fine, a chitty O and good D isn't getting it done.

Nope. Complete teams win championships. Also if that was the case, we've winning the division.
Yep. The Ravens teams in the 2000's approve this message.

And should have won 2 of them

"Should have won" matters in certain situations. It means nothing in most situations. As BB has said (paraphrasing), most games come down to a handful of plays. I mean, Brady could/should have at least 2 more SB wins, and should probably have 5 more and be 12-0 in SBs.

But he doesn't, and he isn't.

Nope. Complete teams win championships. Also if that was the case, we've winning the division.
I don't think we have the best defense in the division and our offense sucks.

Let's say Sean McVay and Brian Daboll were fired in 2 years for whatever reason. Which one would you take as your OC?
not sure, but very likely neither.

Would really depend on how they interview. but I’d be surprised if McVay would want an OC gig after being HC for 7 years in your scenario. I’d really worry about his ability to fit in to that role even if he said he wanted it. Similar concerns about Daboll but he doesn’t strike me as quite as egotistical as McVay, perhaps because McVay has been higher profile longer.

Monday Patriots Notebook 5/6: News and Notes
Tom Brady Sustains, Dishes Some Big Hits on Netflix Roast Special
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
Back