PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

RUMOR: Caserio coming back to New England after draft?

Ross12

Staff member
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Very strange story here. Thought I'd share. Apparently rumors going around at combine that Caserio will come back to New England after the draft, and Mike Lombardi also saying that there will be "organizational changes" in Houston after the draft. Since Lombardi has NE connections, it's easy to kind of put 2 and 2 together there...

What do folks think about this one? I don't know what Caserio would do in NE considering Groh already has his old job here. Nor do I know why Caserio would want to return from being a full-on GM in Houston to being Bill's second-fiddle in NE again, unless he just wants to get out from under Houston's reportedly terrible ownership.

Very weird. Maybe he can swing Bill some nice deals in his last draft in Houston if true. Lol.

I think that someone overheard only part of a conversation. Caserio has lots of friends in New England. He could easily be "going back to New England" to see friends/family.

I don't see Caserio coming back. Just like neither Pioli nor Dimitroff returned.

Here's a crazy tin-foil idea for you if you wanna go full conspiracy theorist and believe all the latest rumors -

Patriots trade Mac Jones + 14 + their 3rd rounder to Houston for 2nd overall and draft Bryce Young, then Caserio leaves Houston and comes back to New England in an advisory capacity and ditches Houston with Mac Jones. Bryce Young reunites with Bill O'Brien, his Alabama OC for the last two seasons. Belichick retires after two seasons and Caserio takes the GM job, Mayo or BOB become HC, Groh essentially keeps his current role.

That won't happen but it's a pretty wild theory lol

“It’s just a friend told me that’s what he heard,” he said. “When I explained how well things are going (in Houston) now, he just shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘Well, I just heard that.’ I didn’t put any stock in it because (Bill) Belichick, in his contract, he has control of everything, so I can’t imagine Caserio, (who) couldn’t wait to get out of there, tried to come here twice and was unable to because of Belichick, would want to go back there where Belichick has control of everything.”

In other words a nothing burger

“It’s just a friend told me that’s what he heard,” he said. “When I explained how well things are going (in Houston) now, he just shrugged his shoulders and said, ‘Well, I just heard that.’ I didn’t put any stock in it because (Bill) Belichick, in his contract, he has control of everything, so I can’t imagine Caserio, (who) couldn’t wait to get out of there, tried to come here twice and was unable to because of Belichick, would want to go back there where Belichick has control of everything.”

What Tyler Bertuzzi Noticed About Bruins 'Right Away' After Trade
In other words a nothing burger
Yeah, it's a really kinda empty story but the fact that Lombardi also said something made me raise my eyebrows.

@Ross12 What if ... and I am reticent to go here because we know the cast of usual suspects will go nuts... what if Bill is stepping down from his GM responsibilities at the conclusion of the draft and Caserio is taking the helm? Caserio wouldn't come back with anything less than a GM role, right? Is there a role he could take that's above GM, but below Jonathan Kraft?

@Ross12 What if ... and I am reticent to go here because we know the cast of usual suspects will go nuts... what if Bill is stepping down from his GM responsibilities at the conclusion of the draft and Caserio is taking the helm? Caserio wouldn't come back with anything less than a GM role, right? Is there a role he could take that's above GM, but below Jonathan Kraft?
I think BOB would take over those GM duties IMO. Or Groh or the Wolf.

I have a hard time imagining Bill dropping GM responsibilities but I suppose it is possible. However, if he did, why wouldn't Groh get the promotion instead of Caserio coming back from out of town?

I hope not, his tenure as Houston GM was disastrous. Excellent coach, not a great GM.
Agree but IMO crazy eyes is worse.

I have a hard time imagining Bill dropping GM responsibilities but I suppose it is possible. However, if he did, why wouldn't Groh get the promotion instead of Caserio coming back from out of town?
I don't know. Could there be a scenario where it's Jonathan, Caserio, Groh, Bill, BoB/Mayo in that order?

Agree but IMO crazy eyes is worse.
I'm not the biggest fan of Caserio either but I have been wondering over the past few years if it was Caserio who was bad or if Caserio just deferred entirely to Bill and it was Bill making bad picks. We know that in the last couple years, it's been more collaborative and Groh has done a decent job, but I don't know if that's because Groh is better than Caserio or if Caserio was just muzzled. I have not kept up with Houston's drafting that much but obviously they're not a particularly good team at the moment...

Very strange story here. Thought I'd share. Apparently rumors going around at combine that Caserio will come back to New England after the draft, and Mike Lombardi also saying that there will be "organizational changes" in Houston after the draft. Since Lombardi has NE connections, it's easy to kind of put 2 and 2 together there...

What do folks think about this one? I don't know what Caserio would do in NE considering Groh already has his old job here. Nor do I know why Caserio would want to return from being a full-on GM in Houston to being Bill's second-fiddle in NE again, unless he just wants to get out from under Houston's reportedly terrible ownership.

Very weird. Maybe he can swing Bill some nice deals in his last draft in Houston if true. Lol.
it makes zero sense. Why would Houston allow him to hire a coach, run a draft, etc and then decided that he is "out" so close to the draft?

but if he did come back it would be funny to see DropkickFlutie go apocalyptic

I am finding this off season to be tough with all these dumb rumors

You left and failed? Come on back and fail here too!

The choice of words describing this to be "eye-popping" was interesting....

113741334-e1515340526677.jpg

MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
MORSE: Patriots QB Drake Maye Analysis and What to Expect in Round 2 and 3
Back