PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

PFF: Bill O'Brien is the 3rd best OC in the NFL

TheRainMaker

3rd runner up sexiest man alive 1998
2020 Weekly Picks Winner
2023 Weekly Picks Winner
Reaction score
What happened to Andy Reid?

The KC offense runs through him. Brian Daboll?

Also Josh in Vegas.

What happened to Andy Reid?

The KC offense runs through him. Brian Daboll?
Also Josh in Vegas.
It looks like this is purely OCs and doesn’t count HCs who call plays.

I think BOB at 3 is kind of silly - he’s been out of the league for a couple years and it’s not like his team was blowing it out of the water in 2020 before he got fired. And I’m a pretty big BOB fan myself, but I would still say let’s reserve judgment here…

At the same time they have Bienemy set at #6 even though he was just in Andy Reid’s shadow in KC so I don’t really know how you’re evaluating him and saying he’s better than 24 other guys. The list is a little weird.

Yep, rating OCs is kinda weird because there is no one standard across teams, where one OC might be running the whole show offensively on some teams, to being a glorified QB coach on another. Agree with @Ross12 that BOB has been out of the league, so let's not shower him with confetti just yet. I think he brings a lot of promise, but promise probably isn't worth higher than 10th in the league.

Look...IMO O'B will be a quantum leap better than the Rocket Scientist disaster we endured last season. I don't give a crap if O'B is called the 32nd best OC in the league.

Matt nagy 7th Lmao

But BOB was a HC who also ran the offense in Houston

The last time that BOB was solely an OC at the NFL level was 2011- 12 years ago which is a lifetime in terms of how the NFL advances in strategy.
I think BOB at 3 is kind of silly - he’s been out of the league for a couple years and it’s not like his team was blowing it out of the water in 2020 before he got fired. And I’m a pretty big BOB fan myself, but I would still say let’s reserve judgment here…
By ignoring the HCs who are basically the OC as well is like lowering the bar to knee level.
At the same time they have Bienemy set at #6 even though he was just in Andy Reid’s shadow in KC so I don’t really know how you’re evaluating him and saying he’s better than 24 other guys. The list is a little weird.
Its not a good list at all.

BOB has much to prove IMO.

Sweet! Let’s see some games played before we hand out laurels.

Ratings mean nothing until he proves it on the field. Glad to have him and 1000% got to be better than what we had last year. Just have a real offensive coordinator and offensive line coach with Adrian Klemm is music to my ears. Now the question is how much farther will that take them this season?

Can Obrien make what’s here into something a lot more than what it was? Can he elevate Mac Jones into an upper tier qb with the tools Mac has? Get his reads right? Utilize JuJu and Thornton with the addition of Gesicki. Make Henry the 1st down and td threat he was? Utilize both? Can Klemm develop rookies into starters? further Stevenson into elite status? Continue Strange’s development? Protect Mac Better which goes hand and hand with Mac.

Lot of questions to be answered before October which is the extended preseason. Grades means nothing in July.

Did tubescribe make that list?

I’m interested to see how Bienemy does this season, his first time really being the OC.

I’m interested to see how Bienemy does this season, his first time really being the OC.
We’ll see how he does with someone other than Mahomes. He really has a chance to make a name for himself if he does well there.

Look...IMO O'B will be a quantum leap better than the Rocket Scientist disaster we endured last season. I don't give a crap if O'B is called the 32nd best OC in the league.
Long as he isn’t 33rd or lower

Matt Patricia was ranked 33rd out of 32 teams.

But BOB was a HC who also ran the offense in Houston

The last time that BOB was solely an OC at the NFL level was 2011- 12 years ago which is a lifetime in terms of how the NFL advances in strategy.

By ignoring the HCs who are basically the OC as well is like lowering the bar to knee level.
Yeah you are highlighting why this list isn't really sensible. BOB is ELIGIBLE for this list because he is CURRENTLY an OC, but he is being EVALUATED based upon his playcalling work he did while he was an HC. Meanwhile, others on this list who are OCs are being propped up as very good even though many of them work or worked under HCs who mostly ran playcalling entirely (Eric Bienemy under Andy Reid being one example). The list really is worthless because the criteria is all over the place.

Basically "BOB is good because he was good when he was an HC", but also, "Andy Reid doesn't count because he's currently an HC", but also, "Eric Bienemy is good because the offense he was a part of (Andy Reid's) was good." By this logic essentially Eric Bienemy is replacement Andy Reid. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

If O’Brien can turn them into a top ten scoring offense he will have accomplished enough to consider him one of the better OC’s in the league.

I hope not. A quantum is the smallest amount of something you can have.

MORSE: Did Rookie De-Facto GM Eliot Wolf Drop the Ball? – Players I Like On Day 3
MORSE: Patriots Day 2 Draft Opinions
Patriots Wallace “Extremely Confident” He Can Be Team’s Left Tackle
It’s Already Maye Day For The Patriots
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots OL Caedan Wallace Press Conference
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Day Two Draft Press Conference
Patriots Take Offensive Lineman Wallace with #68 Overall Pick
TRANSCRIPT: Patriots Receiver Ja’Lynn Polk’s Conference Call
Patriots Grab Their First WR of the 2024 Draft, Snag Washington’s Polk
2024 Patriots Draft Picks – FULL LIST
Back