PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please No (Rumor: Raiders could join Patriots in Bill O'Brien interest)

I might be in the minority, I don't want BOB. He's a guy who knows how to run the old system that Belichick is comfortable with that the league has passed by. And when he coached here, we had prime Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. Now we have Meyers/Bourne, Smith and Henry.

Bill should go outside his comfort zone and get someone like Reich who has proven to run a modern NFL offense. If BOB wants to go to McDaniels and try to recreate Brady magic in Vegas, have fun with that.

We don't need BOB to do better than Patricia in our OC search and we probably should finally get a real NFL offense together since ours has been outdated for 4 years.

You apparently don't understand what the circumstances will be. A team is only bringing in Brady to put them over the top. So Brady would have to suck on the level of Matt Ryan, and the team would need a decidedly losing record, for Brady to find himself on the sideline in favor of a young backup quarterback. And under those circumstances it will mark the end of Brady's career. So Brady knows as soon as his skills decline enough, he's done. Whoever's next in line doesn't matter.
But you are assuming Brady would care to waste his time mentoring someone just to be nice for a franchise he is playing mercenary for and has no attachment to. Brady at this point would likely be locked in on going somewhere and winning a title with whatever time he has left. He's not going to be interested in helping out the next guy. In fact, if I'm Brady and I sign with a team, I lose my mind if they even waste a high draft pick on a young QB who won't play.

If Purdy flames out early in the playoffs and they deem Lance not ready, they can easily turn to Brady....it all depends on their evaluation of Purdy. If they feel like he's the real deal, then no. If they think he's overachieving, then yes.

Not going to happen. It will not sit well with ownership that Shanny squandered so much to get Lance only to end up benching him, bench or make Purdy backup/3rd string, then go with a very short-term answer.

But you are assuming Brady would care to waste his time mentoring someone just to be nice for a franchise he is playing mercenary for and has no attachment to. Brady at this point would likely be locked in on going somewhere and winning a title with whatever time he has left. He's not going to be interested in helping out the next guy. In fact, if I'm Brady and I sign with a team, I lose my mind if they even waste a high draft pick on a young QB who won't play.
Ben Stiller Agree GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Now devante Adams is lashing out about them benching carr.

If they don't get Brady (which still why would go to a division with mahomes and Herbert). This could end up with an even worse team without carr/Adams.

I thought the whole point of bringing in McDaniels was to win now.

Not sure O'Brien would want to go there unless there is a guarantee of Brady etc.

Not going to happen. It will not sit well with ownership that Shanny squandered so much to get Lance only to end up benching him, bench or make Purdy backup/3rd string, then go with a very short-term answer.

Lance is looking like a sunk cost at this point. Purdy came in and was able to captain the ship immediately. Lance looked bad in the limited games he’s played in.

Purdy looks really good, to the point that it’s embarrassing he fell to the 7th round.
What were scouts looking at.

He could be another Mac - looks good on early on, but regresses in year 2

He could be another Mac - looks good on early on, but regresses in year 2
To me he looks better than Mac ever has.
Very confident in his decision making and throws.
Now that San Fran roster is stacked but he isn’t hurting them.

Lance is looking like a sunk cost at this point. Purdy came in and was able to captain the ship immediately. Lance looked bad in the limited games he’s played in.

If Purdy captains the ship well enough through the playoffs (assuming Shanny is not stupid enough to screw up their momentum by bringing JG right back in) then he would be the man going from this point on.

The Jets have taught all of us, many times over, what happens when you lack consistency at the QB position.

To me he looks better than Mac ever has.
Very confident in his decision making and throws.
Now that San Fran roster is stacked but he isn’t hurting them.
Yep the 49ers roster is more than stacked and they actually have an OC and OL coach, Jones would look confident in that offense as well compared to the ****show he is in right now with the probably worst coached team/offense in the NFL right now

If Jones arm is what you say it is then why not give him the ball at the end of the Raiders game?
Arm is not the issue. It's the confidence the Qb has in the offense and the coaches have in the plan run successfully.
Then, vs the Bengals, the Pats ran a play that had no hope of succeeding running Stevenson into a 9 man box where he fumbled. Give Jones the ball when the Bengals are clearly playing the run.

Its like others have said on this board. The opponents gameplan is to stop the NE run and force Jones to beat you.
I agree. Fat Matt is Chuck Knox circa 1979.

I might be in the minority, I don't want BOB. He's a guy who knows how to run the old system that Belichick is comfortable with that the league has passed by. And when he coached here, we had prime Welker, Gronk, and Hernandez. Now we have Meyers/Bourne, Smith and Henry.

Bill should go outside his comfort zone and get someone like Reich who has proven to run a modern NFL offense. If BOB wants to go to McDaniels and try to recreate Brady magic in Vegas, have fun with that.

We don't need BOB to do better than Patricia in our OC search and we probably should finally get a real NFL offense together since ours has been outdated for 4 years.
I don't know why the offense McDaniels ran is old, while the other offense's are modern.

At the end of the day, there's very little that's new under the sun.

Our pop gun offense last year scored 27 pts a game. This year a lot of the "new" modern offenses are struggling.

At the end of the day, you want someone who understands spacing, timing, the nitty-gritty details of running an offense.

Now devante Adams is lashing out about them benching carr.

If they don't get Brady (which still why would go to a division with mahomes and Herbert). This could end up with an even worse team without carr/Adams.

I thought the whole point of bringing in McDaniels was to win now.

Not sure O'Brien would want to go there unless there is a guarantee of Brady etc.

Where is the lashing out part?

I don't know why the offense McDaniels ran is old, while the other offense's are modern.

At the end of the day, there's very little that's new under the sun.

Our pop gun offense last year scored 27 pts a game. This year a lot of the "new" modern offenses are struggling.

At the end of the day, you want someone who understands spacing, timing, the nitty-gritty details of running an offense.
Our offense is going into year 5 without being good. We don't have the natural talent we used to have with Gronk, we are unlikely to get a perfectionist QB like Brady to run the ship and smooth everything over. We lost the old vets like Amendola/Edelman/White who spend years on the team and learned the system and had chemistry with the QB to keep things running without hiccups.

For 4 years we haven't replicated the success we had in the mid 2010's. That's an eternity in the NFL to not address a unit and see meaningful improvement.

Also yes, last year we ranked 6th in points per game. We were middle of the pack in everything else and are "success in points" was because we put up 54 against a 4-13 Jets team, 45 against an 8-9 Browns team, 50 against a 3-14 Jaguars team. You ignore 3 outlier games where we feasted on two **** teams and one very mediocre team that was basically in QB disarray by that point and we were 22.3 per game. 5 points per game is a lot for 3 games to up your average that much.

Nobody is under the delusion we had some great offense last year.

Our offense is going into year 5 without being good. We don't have the natural talent we used to have with Gronk, we are unlikely to get a perfectionist QB like Brady to run the ship and smooth everything over. We lost the old vets like Amendola/Edelman/White who spend years on the team and learned the system and had chemistry with the QB to keep things running without hiccups.

For 4 years we haven't replicated the success we had in the mid 2010's. That's an eternity in the NFL to not address a unit and see meaningful improvement.

Also yes, last year we ranked 6th in points per game. We were middle of the pack in everything else and are "success in points" was because we put up 54 against a 4-13 Jets team, 45 against an 8-9 Browns team, 50 against a 3-14 Jaguars team. You ignore 3 outlier games where we feasted on two **** teams and one very mediocre team that was basically in QB disarray by that point and we were 22.3 per game. 5 points per game is a lot for 3 games to up your average that much.

Nobody is under the delusion we had some great offense last year.
Gronk is generational. The best of all time. It would be a miracle to get someone like him again.

I agree we need to invest in a WR.

But... I'm saying that the sexy offenses in this league are not showing up this year.

Get me a Mahomes and yes, we can score 30 a game! But the Rams, Packers, 49ers, those sexy offenses, are all struggling to put up points.

Also, is this the 5th year? Seems we did well in 2018.

2019, we went out there with one healthy offensive lineman, Brady drilled the ball into the ground one second after the snap, Sanu busted, Edelman got hurt and tore his ACL, Antonio Brown got his goons to threaten to beat up a woman's children, etc... It just doesn't count as a coaching failure.

2020, Cam Newton and covid pandemic. Enough said.

2021, Rookie QB and 27 points per game.

2022, Horrible choice for an OC and the OL devolved once again.

That's 4 years, but each year can be taken in context.

What we need are players and competence at OC. (I'm actually someone who has been very critical of O'Brien in the past, I've always been more of a McDaniels fan, but I certainly don't see the point in going for a Shanahan / McVay type offense just because our current OC is inept).

Last edited:
Get me a Mahomes and yes, we can score 30 a game! But the Rams, Packers, 49ers, those sexy offenses, are all struggling to put up points.

What we need are players and competence at OC. (I'm actually someone who has been very critical of O'Brien in the past, I've always been more of a McDaniels fan, but I certainly don't see the point in going for a Shanahan / McVay type offense just because our current OC is inept).
All of these teams have HC from the Shanahan tree:

CIN #6 offense (about to win div)
MIN #7 offense (won division)
SF #8 offense (won division)
MIA #9 offense (pending)

Pats are 0-3 against them.

All of these teams have HC from the Shanahan tree:

CIN #6 offense (about to win div)
MIN #7 offense (won division)
SF #8 offense (won division)
MIA #9 offense (pending)

Pats are 0-3 against them.
And this year they are all below 27 ppg, all of them scoring LOWER than McDaniels' Patriots last year.

Burrow/Chase/Higgins
Cousins/Jefferson/Thielen/Hockenson/Cook
Kittle/Samuel (actually, this is impressive given the talent)
Hill/Waddle

Give us Chase/Jefferson/Hill or Waddle, and this offense with a competent OC would put up MORE points than the 4 you listed.

In case you're wondering where I'm going with this, I've always liked the McDaniels offense more than Shanahan's. I've liked Andy Reid's and Daboll's offense better too.

In crunch time, I've seen the Shanahan offenses fail too often. I'm sure Aaron Rodgers is thrilled with LaFleur in Green Bay!

Chiefs, Bills, Eagles. I'd rather have these offensive-minded coaches than the ones coming from the Shanahan tree (though Dorsey is a step down from Daboll).

Let's say Sean McVay and Brian Daboll were fired in 2 years for whatever reason. Which one would you take as your OC?

And this year they are all below 27 ppg, all of them scoring LOWER than McDaniels' Patriots last year.

Burrow/Chase/Higgins
Cousins/Jefferson/Thielen/Hockenson/Cook
Kittle/Samuel (actually, this is impressive given the talent)
Hill/Waddle

Give us Chase/Jefferson/Hill or Waddle, and this offense with a competent OC would put up MORE points than the 4 you listed.

In case you're wondering where I'm going with this, I've always liked the McDaniels offense more than Shanahan's. I've liked Andy Reid's and Daboll's offense better too.

In crunch time, I've seen the Shanahan offenses fail too often. I'm sure Aaron Rodgers is thrilled with LaFleur in Green Bay!

Chiefs, Bills, Eagles. I'd rather have these offensive-minded coaches than the ones coming from the Shanahan tree (though Dorsey is a step down from Daboll).

Let's say Sean McVay and Brian Daboll were fired in 2 years for whatever reason. Which one would you take as your OC?
News flash: scoring is down across the league in 2022.

2021: 2 teams w/ >30 pts, 14 teams w/ >25 pts.

2022: 0 teams w/ >30 pts, 8 teams w/ >25 pts.

And McDaniels Raiders with Adams, Renfro, Waller and Jacobs are scoring 23.0 ppg (#12). Missed the playoffs.

Last edited:

TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo on the Rich Eisen Show From 5/2/24
Patriots News And Notes 5-5, Early 53-Man Roster Projection
New Patriots WR Javon Baker: ‘You ain’t gonna outwork me’
Friday Patriots Notebook 5/3: News and Notes
Thursday Patriots Notebook 5/2: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 5/1: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Jerod Mayo’s Appearance on WEEI On Monday
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/30: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Drake Maye’s Interview on WEEI on Jones & Mego with Arcand
MORSE: Rookie Camp Invitees and Draft Notes
Back